Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much hp can be realized by adding a magnaFlow Cat back to a 07 2.0 turbo ? What is the factory setting in psi for the same car when in boost ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the MagnaFlow cat back on my '07 GXP. It was put on before I had the GMPP Turbo Upgrade done. I honestly didn't notice any gain in power, but that may be b/c of when I had it done. Hard to tell now.

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
If you have the factory tune, no HP gains

If you have the GMPP or other after market tune, somewhere around 15 to 18 HP

Boost is a function of the tune and ambient air pressure and temperature. At sea level, 16 pounds is about the same as 20 at 5500 feet. Many posts on this in 08 and 09

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I guess I won't be able to tell if this car had any tune to it at all,is that correct? I purchased this car used so I don't have much of a clue what has or has not been done to other than what is obvious.Thanks any suggestions would also be helpful...

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Fosti, one suggestion I would make (as you're new to your car) is to spend some time browsing these fora (forums), especially here and kappaperformance.com - and even skyroadster.com.

Go through the different sub-forums and just read and absorb the info. Plus if you have specific questions, search first and see what's there. For example, the benefits of exhausts and cat's with/without tunes, has been covered a lot here.

Not trying to play 'shoot-the-newbie' here. It's really a good thing to do, you'll find out stuff about your car that you wouldn't even know to ask! I did this when I got my car and found it VERY usefull. For example, there's all sorts of really good easy and/or cheap mods out there that you'll love and that you won't find out about without doing the above.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tomato ,damn good advice ,I know I am asking alot of questions and I have read quite a few of the post.Because I have been reading it make me want to see what more I can get out of this car without really breaking the bank to start with.
I have read where people try to tune and mess up so I know I do not have a clue how or what there is to tuning so I am very hesitant to get into that ,I do not really trust bringing it to the Chev dealer because then some mechanic may make things worst.
As far as what has been done to the car in the past i am just looking for some info that will tell me to look under the hood and look for specific things that I would not have a clue about.
I will take your advice and I will read read read ,thank you very much.You really have helped me here quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
Go to your friendly GM dealer and have them pull a report on your car. It's free. It will tell you if you have the GMPP tune or not. It will also tell you the in service date and if any warranty remain in effect.

If you want to be sure, have them reload your factory software and add the tune of your choice. If it has the GMPP tune you are ok. If it has dome unknown tune, you may or may not be ok. It is possible that a bad tune can damage the car and cause loss of warranty too

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I went to my local GM dealer and first asked about the turbo performance up grade,they did not tell me more than I have already read on this forum.Basically I would have to purchase it from them $660.00 and about 2 hrs to tune.They would not allow me to purchase it outside of their shop and have them do the tune so I can understand that .
They would not scan my system unless I made an appointment (undestandable) again 2 hrs mechanics time.
I know I can purchase the componets for the performance upgrade but have not yet found a reliable person to do the tune.As I have read that if the tune is not done right you can do more damage than good,I do not understand enough of it to attempt it my self so if some one here can tell me who in my area can do this ,it would be a start.Upstate New York where the winters are long and the Summers seem often short.Thanks

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
There are two parts to the GMPP tune. Installing the sensors - which the techs usually do with crimped connectors - and programming the ECM with the new tune software. By the way - you can tell if you have GMPP tune easily - just look at the sensors (see image below). Do they have a blue label with "Bosch" on them and only one mounting bolt? Then you have GMPP.

Anyway, the only places where they could do damage is 1) the connections are crimped, and can start making intermittant problems over time (sooner if not crimped properly). 2) By jacking your car incorrectly and damaging the fenders - though this can happen for ANY service, and they shouldn't jack you car for a tune anyways!

Even if you get the crimp failures, it's an intermittant fail or limp-mode fail anyway - so no permanent damage.

So, worry less about that, than a dealer who won't program just the tune, or who charges you 2 friggin hours to 'scan' your car (which is just plug the VIN into their desktop computer). Ditch them and never go back. Find another dealer immediately.

Lastly, if your car is out of warranty, don't bother with GMPP. Go straight to Westers/DDM/Trifecta/Werks - all of which will be cheaper than GMPP and give at least (if not more) as much power and the same reliability.

-------------

Sensors are here, marked TMAP and MAP - the ones shown are NON-GMPP:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Frosti If you call the GM customer service line with your VIN they might be able to tell you if it was done or not too. It's in the service history most likely they should have access to it. Service writer should not charge you anything to tell you the service history of the car either. All he has to do is fat finger the VIN into his computer like Tomato Soup wrote.

The kit also came with a small sticker that should be on the inside of the fuel door stating "Premium Fuel Required" Also a CARB sticker underside of the hood on the driver side. GM techs are not the brightest bunch so they might not have put them in the right spot if at all on the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are looking to just add a tune and maybe a few bolt ons like an exhaust and drop air filter the Trifecta Budget is a great bang for buck. It will add a good amount of hp and tq to a stock or mildly modded GXP. I boost 22psi and power is smooth and plentiful at 200.00 it's hard to beat. Plus your 07 is more then likely out of warranty so there is no need to stick with just the GM performance but both perform well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great info all you guys,thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
A catback adds 0 HP to a the GMPP tune as well.
This has been confirmed with a Dyno

Only a High Flow Cat or free flow down pipe will add HP to the GMPP.

If you have the stock cat, even a custom tune will have a hard time of pulling more than 1-2HP with just a cutback exhaust

The Cat is the bottleneck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that makes sense to me ,I can believe it may give 1 or 2 HP but 15 to 20 seems more like advertising .I can understand the difference in sound that it makes going through the exhaust also but for the most part it is just eye candy or should I say ear candy.I truely would like to believe it makes hp difference.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Everything I have read says the cat is the bottleneck. Changing the exhaust does little to nothing for HP. The stock exhaust is sufficient for any tune where the motor is stock.

I just purchased a HF cat and plan on driving up to Performance Autowerks to have it installed ( bought it from them).

I've been thinking of an exhaust but just for the sound nothing else.

I've heard claims of 15-20 hp for the cat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts