Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So usually for storage I have a trickle charger at the storage facility, but I had to move my car back to my home underground parking since they were closing down.

This might sound odd but is there a way to maintain the charge without a power outlet? There's no outlet nearby for me to plug in. Or how frequently should I start the car? Insurance only allows me 1 day for "maintenance" to go on the road but I don't think I want to with snow and salt anyways.

·
Premium Member
4,245 Posts
They make solar powered battery maintainers I have friends who own boats and have used them for years . I would imagine you could mount one outside and keep your battery maintained ,Schumacher makes a pretty good one that's reasonably priced .

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it is getting stored for any period of time why don't you just unhook the battery?

Reactions: azsly

·
Administrator
9,484 Posts
I agree that disconnecting the battery may be the most reasonable alternative.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I've done that for years since 2008 when I bought the car. Every year I disconnect the battery in the fall, reconnect it in the spring and fire it up for another season.

You don't need the maintainer.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They make solar powered battery maintainers I have friends who own boats and have used them for years . I would imagine you could mount one outside and keep your battery maintained ,Schumacher makes a pretty good one that's reasonably priced .
Slight issue is that there's no sunlight underground, lol.

I think I'll go the battery disconnect route, or maybe install a battery cutoff switch.

EDIT: seems like we already have one built in? Anyone use a battery disconnect switch? | Pontiac Solstice Forum

·
Premium Member
17,390 Posts

·
Administrator
9,484 Posts

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Agree with the disconnect. If you're storing underground you're not likely to get cold enough to pi$$ off a lead-acid battery.

Oh, and the lack of sunshine might be problematic for a solar maintainer - not sure if you have the means to run wiring to an outside window or door.

·
Administrator
9,484 Posts
A fully charged lead-acid battery freezes at around -80F, but a discharged one freezes at 20F. Disconnect it while it is fully charged and you should be safe in most climates.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Booster pack with inverter, plug a Maintainer into it sporadically over the winter.
That's what I do, except with a fully charged deep cycle RV battery & an inverter powering my 4A (max) high freq maintainer. I only do it about every 3-4 weeks. I have 2 RV batteries at home from our trailer, so I always have the second one ready to replace the first one at the storage area. Those two are more than enough to "fill" the OEM. Still have the OEM in my 2007, bought new in Jan '08.

·
Premium Member
4,245 Posts
You mount the thing outside and run the leads into the garage might have to splice a piece of wire to extend the leads but you can buy the proper gauge at a DIY or auto parts store .

·
Administrator
9,484 Posts
You mount the thing outside and run the leads into the garage might have to splice a piece of wire to extend the leads but you can buy the proper gauge at a DIY or auto parts store .
Most communal buildings are not receptive to mounting things like solar panels, or running wires, so I suspect that this is not an option.

Reactions: Hurricane87

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is the way that I disconnect power to my car when needed.
Just went and did the disconnect. Thanks for the great tip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts