Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back window in our 2007 GXP has been leaking, and well, we discovered what the problem was.
Window Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive parking light

The glue or whatever held the window and fabric together has become useless. It pealed completely.

A lot watee got in and soaked the driver side floorboard, and it rusted all of the bolts and brackets for the seat. Other than that, it is ok.

Anyone have a fix for this? Maybe something more than just taping it? If we have to replace the top we are going to sell it, at this point. Little car has a lot of issues. She does crank nicely though, just overheats. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
The back window in our 2007 GXP has been leaking, and well, we discovered what the problem was.

The glue or whatever held the window and fabric together has become useless. It pealed completely.

A lot watee got in and soaked the driver side floorboard, and it rusted all of the bolts and brackets for the seat. Other than that, it is ok.

Anyone have a fix for this? Maybe something more than just taping it? If we have to replace the top we are going to sell it, at this point. Little car has a lot of issues. She does crank nicely though, just overheats. Any help would be appreciated.
The window can be glued back into place, and several members have done that. It is potentially very messy due to the adhesive used, and requires a few specialized tools to make it easier, although it can be done without them. Do not use silicone sealer to attempt a repair. It won't last, and the silicone will contaminate the surfaces making future repair nearly impossible.

This is not a difficult job and there may be an auto upholstery shop in your area that has done it.

·
Premium Member
17,245 Posts
I have done several. It is not difficult but you need to take your time because the adhesive is very black and very sticky and where ever it ends up its going to be there forever.

We have used these suction clamp clamps with good results

Sealey RE006 6pc Suction Clamp Set, Blue - - AmazonSmile

and this adhesive

AmazonSmile: 3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive, 08693, 10.5 fl oz Cartridge : Automotive

Recommend that you "dry run" the install a couple of times. Put the clamps in position and tighten them down. Make sure you have them in the best location for your needs. Then run a bead of the adhesive and clamp away.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done several. It is not difficult but you need to take your time because the adhesive is very black and very sticky and where ever it ends up its going to be there forever.

We have used these suction clamp clamps with good results

Sealey RE006 6pc Suction Clamp Set, Blue - - AmazonSmile

and this adhesive

AmazonSmile: 3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive, 08693, 10.5 fl oz Cartridge : Automotive

Recommend that you "dry run" the install a couple of times. Put the clamps in position and tighten them down. Make sure you have them in the best location for your needs. Then run a bead of the adhesive and clamp away.

Good luck.
Thanyou! Will be ordering these soon.

·
Premium Member
17,245 Posts
Just remember, practice before you put the glue on. I found that the first time I put the clamps on and tried to do the job, I put them in the wrong place and nearly had a mess. A quick rehearsal will make everything go smoothly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts