Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was recently posted to FB, about the only thing I know is that he used a convertible top frame as a base for the hardtop. I have no idea if this is a one-off or if he will be making more. I also believe he lives in Mexico.

Hood Motor vehicle Jacuzzi Automotive design Bumper
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Car Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive design
Car Vehicle Hood Sky Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

· Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,626 Posts
It seems a tad “blocky” in its current form but i am sure he is still working on it…

· Registered
Base Solstice 2007, Pure, Std 5 speed.
71 Posts
Ye that guy is in México, hes on a mexican fb group about Solstice's lol he said he started with a broken top he bought and used the frame as a base, I havent really seem updates about it in a while

· Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,855 Posts
Almost looks like he is glassing the fabric top.
That would be super easy to do if that was the route he took. You could literally get the top done in a week to week and a 1/2 with only working on it a few hours a day. You would need to mask off the interior and exterior an saturate the canvas with fiberglass resin and let it harden for day and a half. Take the top off the vehicle and sand it down. build up any thin areas using fiberglass cloth. take the frame out leaving the first bow and the buttress arms with pins in place.

That hardest part would be coming up with a way to get the top off the vehicle. There would need to be some creative thinking in order to set things up in a manner that would allow for the top to be removed without having to raise the deck lid.

· Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,596 Posts
what want to say about this...will land me in " SOLSTICE FORUM JAIL"...again. :p
most everything starts off looking like poop to most people, it's the end result that counts. make the first one, perfect it, then make the mold off it and then take care of the mold and make more off the perfected mold. Ive done a lot of that in the past. the part that you make the mold off of is usualy a POS. thick, welded,bondoed,epoxied, rusted out etc. all that dont matter. it just needs some good makup and a artist to make the makup look good. then you can make the pretty parts.

· Registered
284 Posts
most everything starts off looking like poop to most people, it's the end result that counts. make the first one, perfect it, then make the mold off it and then take care of the mold and make more off the perfected mold. Ive done a lot of that in the past. the part that you make the mold off of is usualy a POS. thick, welded,bondoed,epoxied, rusted out etc. all that dont matter. it just needs some good makup and a artist to make the makup look good. then you can make the pretty parts.
agreed

· Registered
Base Solstice 2007, Pure, Std 5 speed.
71 Posts
Update, Ive seen some more progress pics posted, the guy did it by literally glassing a broken top, its legit a fiber glass reproduction of the soft top, down to using the same frame, he said it weights 40~50ish lbs, and when asked how the hell would I go around putting it on and later removing it he never replied... so yeah, I dont really have much faith on this guy's proyect lol

· Registered
2,596 Posts
Ive seen a few fiber glass tops that mimic the convertable.when done good they look good. Ive seen some on mg I think that I dont/could not tell if it was factory, after market or homade.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
coming out better then ya'll thought. Thing probably has 2 gallons of bondo in it and it more then likely weighs a ton. But if it is used as a plug to make a mold tops made using that mold would be really light and not need any body filler at all. shoot a gel coat into the mold and let it set up and lay the glass in until it is 1/4" to 3/8" thick and once it cures pop it out and shoot it with paint. prep work needed before paint of the mold is up to snuff.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
He has the back window that is encased in the fiberglass so this is not going to be a mold at all. This is going to be the finished product. Going to weigh a lot tho.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
I don't care for the hard cut line over the side windows I would have made it rounded and added gutters just above the side windows to keep water form getting in the car if the window is cracked a bit and it is raining at all.

· Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,626 Posts
That hard line might look better on a sky to match its aesthetics but looking forward to seeing it finished on the car.
Love the effort and creative gumption here.
Thanks for posting these :)

· Registered
2,596 Posts
I kinda like the hard line!! I do think he should make that the mold., or rather pop the main mold off of it.and it may be the mold mold...some call it the buck. and with the window glassed in like that it gives a good flange for the window and strength for the mold to help keep flexing down. I think he did a great job from the pics. but like all pics you cant really tell squat.and spatter finish....hides a lot of sins, but looks good none the less most of the thyme. as for thickness most galss tops are 1/8"-3/16" thick , kevlar&glass would be my choice with epoxie unless carbon fiber fell ot of the sky then it would be kevlar&carbon.& probably .080 thick at the most.& extreamly light. I think the doors on out old promod including the window& everything execpt for the car were about 3 pounds or less ( carbon fiber door, chromoly hindges&window supports.) kevlar is strong, carbon fiber is light and very brittle.thus carbon/kevlar for street cars.& boats when ou want light&strong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts