Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Making a Hardtop (In progress pics)

5K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  wmf246 
what want to say about this...will land me in " SOLSTICE FORUM JAIL"...again. :p
most everything starts off looking like poop to most people, it's the end result that counts. make the first one, perfect it, then make the mold off it and then take care of the mold and make more off the perfected mold. Ive done a lot of that in the past. the part that you make the mold off of is usualy a POS. thick, welded,bondoed,epoxied, rusted out etc. all that dont matter. it just needs some good makup and a artist to make the makup look good. then you can make the pretty parts.

Ive seen a few fiber glass tops that mimic the convertable.when done good they look good. Ive seen some on mg I think that I dont/could not tell if it was factory, after market or homade.

I kinda like the hard line!! I do think he should make that the mold., or rather pop the main mold off of it.and it may be the mold mold...some call it the buck. and with the window glassed in like that it gives a good flange for the window and strength for the mold to help keep flexing down. I think he did a great job from the pics. but like all pics you cant really tell squat.and spatter finish....hides a lot of sins, but looks good none the less most of the thyme. as for thickness most galss tops are 1/8"-3/16" thick , kevlar&glass would be my choice with epoxie unless carbon fiber fell ot of the sky then it would be kevlar&carbon.& probably .080 thick at the most.& extreamly light. I think the doors on out old promod including the window& everything execpt for the car were about 3 pounds or less ( carbon fiber door, chromoly hindges&window supports.) kevlar is strong, carbon fiber is light and very brittle.thus carbon/kevlar for street cars.& boats when ou want light&strong.

job well done. I hope he makes more. he will never be able to please everybody, thus always please your self ,there will be many other that also like what you have built . that go's with any thing built. kind of like the sky interior...not what I want in a sports car. but I hear some people actually like it. he could also make a glass trunk that is cut out (scalloped) for the butressesss's so the trunk would be easily assessed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.