Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 485 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this car about 10 days ago, had no real idea what it was, was really only interested in some of the parts on the car. My son decided we should buy the whole car. We thought we were buying 064 of 100. Had to force the guy to sell us the original engine.

Most have read the other thread about the car, so will not bore you with those details.

I plan to bring it back to life in as near pristine condition as possible. We have a lot of work ahead of us as the previous care taker was not very loving of this car it seems. I promise all of you Solstice die hards, I will make this as close to original as is humanly possible. As most know I am from the Sky side of the Kappa platform, but see the historical value of this car. It will not be modified in anyway, except the installation of a DDM 1/2 inch back bone brace, to protect it from flex that is normal with a convertible.

I also want to let people know that I am not a fan Mr. Charles Mallett, his actions in business, numerous times has been less that what I call normal. I have tried to reach out to him several times, for information on this car and project. He does not return calls or answer emails. But from his past performance, I can understand why. Again this is about a very unique car, that should be special to all of us, Solstice or Sky, his efforts were the first.

I hope all enjoy, I know it is going to be a blast!!

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Installed freshly turned aluminum flywheel, LUK Pure Gold clutch. The original was not in bad shape, but felt it would be wiser to just do it now and know everything was right. The engine and tranny are in and bolted down. We did find the BCM in the trunk, so everything is here that was supposed to be.

I have a salvage front clip, insurance grade coming this week, everything in front of the tires. Also ordered a complete body/dash wiring loom from the same place. Supposed to be like new. Decided not mess with the cut apart loom. It does appear the car will have a lot of parts removed to do the wiring installation. But did not want to take the chance on it.

I already have NA bumper that is Sly, it is in process of repair. It had two 1/4 inch cracks by the nose on the inside of the grill recession. Scuff on one side, other than that unscathed. I do not have pictures of it, but will try to get them on Monday. The original car was not wrecked, the whole front clip was "lost" along with the inner panel for the passenger door.

I did notice a small dent on the bottom of the passenger side fender. I will have that repaired, it will require painting I am sure. The other small dents in the vehicle supposedly can be repaired with out bondo or paint. I am striving to save the original paint on the car. It is in remarkable shape for a car setting outside in the same spot for the last 1.9 years. Due to the color, the photos I have taken of them do not show up, so you will just have to take my word they are there. lol

The car before it was unloaded in Banning, a picture of the damage on the back and the custom fiberglass rear fascia, the Charles Mallett signed coil covers (supposedly the only signed covers on the Solstice and Sky) Wheel with slight damage, and Mallet tag in the engine compartment

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow this is coming along really well, congratulations! Now I'm wishing I bought it. Will it be done for the chase the sun run?

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim, I think if either of you had seen the book he had about the car, both of you might have bought it. I must admit, pulling out of the guys driveway with it loaded, yours and GMTech's words were ringing in my ears. Was very concerned about the investment, but after reading all the documentation, it became an opportunity to do something for the group, possibly to preserve it for others to see.

I will most likely trailer it to a midway point in the Chase the Sun Run, so the group can see the car, a lot of friends are anxious to see it. I took the book to last week's run and Eric and Robo were very amazed with the information. I will try to post some of it in this thread soon.

Yes Choptop it does have the seats, which are in great shape, passenger back does not release so have to work on that. My time has been mostly spent on looking at the car, figuring out what has to be done instantly and what can be done as time goes by. My plan is to bring the car the Nationals(trailered) and the green car to drive. The yellow one will be missing the prom.

We will do special insurance on the car which will require very few miles driven. I would guess it will see less than 500 miles a year. My son wants to take it to local car shows during the summer, not so much during the winter. I am not going to do anything special to show it. Just a nice bound book about the car, the previous owner and the chance for people to see it.

Unfortunately it is not going to be the crazy go fast car we thought we were buying. Maybe after driving it a bit, we will need to build one for that. Depends on my son.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We did take measurements on the frame, of where and how it was cut, listed all the brackets that were used, all GM it appears. I am still looking for this 8 point welding done to strengthen the car. Need to have two cars side by side I guess.

I hate the rusted axles, so those will most likely being coming off and have them powder coated black or at least painted. There is surface rust on the spindle bottoms, which I guess is common for cars driven. May replace both driver side lower A arms. They have some damage on them, curb rash. Will make the decision after the wheels are polished.

Will replace the front rotors as driver side has chunks broken off of it. They hit a curb pretty hard for sure. Having the exhaust guy look at the dent in the muffler, to see if it can be removed, and polished back to original. I will have the exhaust system welded rather than the slip and clamp. I hate the leakage that I have on my yellow car, keeping it clean just pisses me off.

The car does have two cats, so it will pass California Smog. (According to my smog guy) Also it does not require the complete drive line system. You can mix and match, transmissions, rear ends. You just have to pass the smog referee. I saw a jeep yesterday, 2000 model with a 383 Chevy engine, 4 speed automatic, with California Vin plate attached to it. Guy got it done last year. I don't have the specifics on the jeep, but it was nothing stock in anyway. Has to pass for the year of the engine, have what was original in the exhaust system, but not the original exhaust system.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Car and Driver Magazine February 2006 | eBay $3.50 + $3.22 S/H

MONSTER 400-HP V8 Stuffed into a Solstice

I think displaying Mallett magazine articles on the dash or car seat would be a subtle detail at car shows. It would also show that the Mallett Solstices received national magazine coverage. I think Automobile magazine may have done a feature but I have to do more research. I was wondering if Mallett ever did a formal magazine ad campaign, but all I can remember is magazine articles here and there.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
There was one in AutoWeek, but can not get the magazine. Just have a cover of it.

Here are a few more pictures of it in progress and some paper work on it.

First picture is the paper work on the car, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are the options and the cost of those options.

Fifth is the original window sticker, it was never attached to the car, has the sticky backing on the paper.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not much done on the car today, did get some photos of the bumper in preparation for paint. There are two small cracks, in the grill bezel area. He is going to hot plastic staple it together tomorrow and grind it down. Prime and paint Wednesday I guess. I will pull the rear fascia tomorrow if at the shop as it has some repairs that need to be done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damned work got in the way today, I hate that stuff!!!

I did get the front rotors ordered. They were originally from Stainless Steel Brake Company, and I had some problems reaching them, but they called today. Mike was a really nice guy, took the VIN# of the car, came back and said "this car is in our records." I told him the story, so they want pictures of the car and all pertinent information about current status, what will be done to the car, pictures if I would provide them to them. I said of course.

The rotors had a special cut or something, they have to make them for me, should leave in couple of days. So another part hurdle seems to have been met and cleared.

I think I have everything ordered that we know for sure needs to be replaced or fixed. Front clip may arrive tomorrow, but most likely Thursday, wiring harness at the same time. If so, we should be able to start the car over the weekend. Reminds me, I need to get all the old fuel out of it.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Skers, found you an article about #4! 15 pics, plus a long article.

Find used 2006 Pontiac Solstice, Mallett Cars, Corvette LS2 V8 Conversion, #004 / #100 in Merced, California, United States, for US $38,000.00

Here's an excerpt: 2006 Pontiac Solstice. Shipped new to Mallett Cars LTD in Berea, Ohio. With only 6 miles on the odometer this was number #004 / #100 authorized by Chevrolet to do a complete new 2006 Corvette LS2 Engine swap with many upgrades. 100% genuine Chevrolet parts.

Here's 12 pics of the 16, I couldn't get the last 4 to embed.

I can't tell you how many times I've pulled this up over the years, the Sly color looks really nice in the bright sun w/the polished Forgedline wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes Chop that is the car, the gray is a neat color. I think it had a little extra care before it was shown at the Florida International Auto Show. The car seems to fit better, the paint seems to be near perfect still and it has sat outside for nearly the last two years. It is inside now, and will never see the elements again.

Tried to get the magazine, but out of stock, will fill out a request for when available. I am trying to snag some of them for display.

I do not believe the guy standing by the car was the last owner. I think that is the original Mallett investor Victor (can't remember how to spell his last name) Venterelli or something, it is in the paper work I put on the forum. The one driving in the desert was the last owner.

His wife was trying to sell the car after he passed away, and wanted the car gone, out of the garage, so the son ended up with it, the rest I have given all the information I know.

I think I have all of those pictures. Spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out if it was a true story or not. The car has a different fascia than most (all I have seen). It is shown in the auto show with the same fascia that is on the car. I am convinced this is a one off vehicle as claimed, by both owner and Mallet Cars. It just sucks that they will not return a call or email.

1 - 20 of 485 Posts