Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Randy120

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
664 Posts
In case you didn’t zoom in on the photo of the receipt....

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
that is the first yellow/mean 06 Solstice that I have seen...

I always thought that yellow/mean first arrived in the 07 model year
until I saw some stats in a thread that indicates a few yellow/mean were produced in 06.

( edit - oh nuts. The ad says that the car was repainted yellow... )

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
192 Posts
Holy mackeral. Nice car. Hopefully someone gets a good deal. But a 750hp turbo LS? Wow, not enough tire in the world to keep that planted even in a straight line! Plus the front has kind of puny looking 2 piston calipers. Drive with extreme caution, this could be more dangerous than a Viper!

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's a monster build. Doubt it will get even half of the money invested into this mega-Mallet Solstice.
The entire car shakes each time the driver gets on it. I think it's overdone.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Sold at Mecum for $26000 about 10 years ago.
This one sold for $26K at Mecum? Ouch, with about $170K into the car, that's 85% depreciation in 5 years. Currently bid to $25K with 3 days to go. Our office BaT group are figuring it will be hard pressed to get much about $40K, which we though was low given the money sunk into it. Btu if that Mecum figure is right, the price bottomed out on it long ago.

Just read through the comments again. The seller says it sold at a Russo & Steele auction in 2012 but doesn't state the sale price.

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on black.
64 Posts
Mr. Mallett really had his work cut out for him with this build!!

A bone stock LS7 puts out a SAE certified 505 HP. Add in turbocharging, now at least 700+ HP.

The LS7 has a dry sump oil system. Where in the world he parked the off engine oil tank is unknown.

It has a narrowed rear end for wider tires, almost mandatory for 700+ HP.

This is a drag racing vehicle. I don't believe anyone would be happy with it (or could sanely drive it) on the street!

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,745 Posts
It sold for 62,500 so if the seller bought it 10 years ago for 30, he made some money on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I purchased a new Eldorado in 1985. That pastel yellow was so pretty. I purchased a Crossfire last year. The color was very similar to the Eldorado. Sold it in 2 weeks. Had several people who wanted it. Everyone has their own opinion. I know no one cares about mine. I think this car is so freak'n gaudy!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I don't like it either. Especially the seats. I don't really care for the boomerang being the same color as the rest of the car. and the rear valance ack!. I also find the price of the engine to be a tad on the high side at 31,500 when the price from GM is a tad under 15,000.

From looking at the receipt it doesn't match the car.. The receipt states an LSx intake manifold. In the photos the intake is stock and would have come with the crate engine. an LSx intake or a "Fast" intake looks nothing like what is on the car.

The stitching on the seat is not what is on the receipt.

With moving the frame rails closer together how did they manage to not also move the inner wheel wells? The original carpet is in the trunk and has not been altered or sectioned in order to accommodate the inner wheel wells moving closer to the center of the car.

I am starting to question if that receipt belongs to that vehicle.

The cold side charge pipe is pushing into the hood, There is no way that the hood closes properly based on how much rubbing there is on the hood and also on the pipe.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The more I look at that thing the more I see major problems with it.

Look at the top in the B-Pillar area.

Look at the b pillar on both sides. The drivers side the canvas is taught but on the passenger side it's loose.

Look at how much slack there is in the material on the top. Now this is important. Look at the lack of a gap between the rocker panel and the door.

No slack in the top on the drivers side and there is a proper gap between the rocker panel and the door.

Not to mention the paint on it is not the same color across the entire car.

I can't figure out what in the world is gong on with the exhaust. It looks like it is a single exhaust and the turbo is mounted next to the rear diff. It almost looks like they are using the oil from the diff to lubricate the turbo. It looks like there is only a charge air pipe and no intake pipe. Is the air cleaner under the car??? It looks like it is. Maybe it's in the trunk?? I know they moved the battery to the trunk which would explain the box in the trunk.

Reactions: RedOne07

·
Registered
767 Posts
I don't like it either. Especially the seats. I don't really care for the boomerang being the same color as the rest of the car. and the rear valance ack!. I also find the price of the engine to be a tad on the high side at 31,500 when the price from GM is a tad under 15,000. While I agree the price of the engine is high, your $15,000 price for a GM crate engine is a bit misleading, this car does not have a crate engine in it, it has a Custom built LS engine based on LS7 parts. Not knowing exactly what was done its hard to put a price on it.

With moving the frame rails closer together how did they manage to not also move the inner wheel wells? The original carpet is in the trunk and has not been altered or sectioned in order to accommodate the inner wheel wells moving closer to the center of the car. The car does not have stock rear wheel wells, it has a custom fiberglass tup that replaces both the trunk floor and the rear wheel wells
I also think the exterior and interior mods are a bit much, I also don't car for the wheels, but its not my car so my opinion does not matter.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
@cammerjeff

If the engine was custom built then why only 750HP, this is the magic number for running a crate LS7 with boost, it's the maximum you can safely do. If the engine was custom built then a turbo capable of pushing more then 6psi could be used. A built LS7 will handle 1000+ hp easily.

I looked at the rear tire size and it's a 305/30/r19 tire, that's close to 2.4" wider then the stock tire size. I think that a 275/35/r19 can fit without any of the tire sticking out, so that reduces the amount of space needed to 1.4" or so. Why move the frame? weld a 3/8" steel plate on the inside of the frame rails in 4 places that are located where the wheel and tire would come in contact with the frame. then notch the frame around the wheel and tire and box in the cut out piece. make a new fender liner so the wheel and tire will not rub on it and it's good to go and it wouldn't cost 10 grand to do.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The 750hp is rear wheel HP not Crankshaft HP, The build is supposed to make 900 HP to the flywheel. Remember this engine was built in 2006 not 2020, so I would presume the HP possibilities of the LS7 engine are more well known now than when this engine was built.

Mallet moved the frame rails in 4.5" so 2.25" per side. Why? you would have to ask Chuck or the original owner.

I agree the amount of $$$ spent on the build was unreal.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
The problem with a car like that is what would you do with it. After a few blistering passes, you park it and stare at it and hope someone new comes along so you can show it off again? Because I doubt it is going to be a lot of fun to actually drive around on the street

1 - 20 of 40 Posts