Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
The problem with a car like that is what would you do with it. After a few blistering passes, you park it and stare at it and hope someone new comes along so you can show it off again? Because I doubt it is going to be a lot of fun to actually drive around on the street
If you are saying that the cost is way out of proportion to the usable performance I completely agree, but it is not required that you use all of the available power at all times, so unless the chassis changes significantly impair the handling it should be just as driveable as any other car. Beyond that is the sheer uniqueness, and that is worth quite a lot to some people.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
No,, I wasn't meaning anything to do with cost/benefit (hard to think in those terms without subjecting one's own hobbies to the same standard and they usually don't stand up well to that sort of scrutiny).

I just thought that it might be a chore to drive rather than a pleasure. I've driven cars like that including several over the top V8 conversions on cars weighing only 2000 lbs. or so and many have been loud, some ill handling and while exhilarating for the odd full throttle blast,, honestly a bit tedious to drive in every day traffic.

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
When they did the LS7 install, they moved the battery to the trunk and put the remote oil tank where the battery used to be in the right rear of the engine bay.

As has been discussed, this type of car has a very narrow set of buyers. People with a lust for a unique car. I posit that its like a lot of things in life, they see the pictures and read the stats and build an image in their minds eye. The reality can be very different from the image. There was a supercharged coupe that made on the order of 700 hp that was bought by a local doctor here in Colorado. He LOVED what he THOUGHT the car was but as soon as he drove it he started seeking advice about how to make it more user friendly as a street car. As wspohn said, as soon as he scared himself and his friends with a few burnouts, the car lost its luster. It was not something that he wanted to drive to and from work without scaring himself. It ended up back with the original owner in Arizona where I think it still resides.

Many of the faults that KG identified in fitment are adjustments of the body panels that can probably be addressed by a good body person and some time. When I picked up my Solstice, many of the gaps were not very uniform and suffered from some of the same issues. After it was disassembled for paint and reassembled, the techs who put it back together did a great job of lining it up. Better than at the factory.

If you go back to the old posts on the factory visits, one of the benefits of that visit was you could get your car's body tuned up by the factory guys during the visit. A lot of people did so. The downside of all the adjustability built into the Solstice design, and the fact that they are all essentially hand built means that some or maybe many came out with not the most attention paid to making the body panel alignment perfect.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Rob,

You did a much better job of describing what I often refer to as a "Not Streetable Car" not that it can't be driven on the street, but that it is not something that is not easy to drive often. Or enjoyable to do so. I probably would describe this car as "Not Streetable" but you can obviously can drive it on the street, and it has been for a limited amount of miles.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on black.
69 Posts
A vehicle with this much power in such a small package will be a real challenge to operate smoothly on the street.
Yes, you can drive it as Jeff noted, but you will have to work at it really hard. This sweetheart is better off at the drag strip or road rally than a daily driver.....Perhaps Jay Leno will pick it up for his collection!

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,768 Posts
I will bet you there is something wrong with it. probably the welded frame is cracking or some such thing.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hey the seller is only trying to make $10,500.00 profit on a 3 month investment.

I agree with it trading owners 2 (looking for 3) times in 18 months, it makes me suspicious also. But I am cheap and would never spend that kinda of $$$ on a car without looking it over and driving it 1st. Probably why I have never bid on a car on BAT. Event though I have been tempted by a couple.

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
I suspect that the issue with the car is it is not drivable on the street. Its a track car. My car isa 460 at the wheels and when its cold it can be a bitch to drive. It is sensitive to throttle and if you are not very careful, a very small throttle input will result in a leap forward that causes you to move back in the seat and relax the throttle then bounce forware. Its very easy to get into a jerk, jerk, jerk mode where the car is chirping the tires or coasting. Once it warms up, its fine and fun to drive. but with about twice the HP I can see a situation where the dream of owning is wonderful and the reality of trying to drive it iis not so great. You spend a butt load of $$$ for a car that bites you every time you drive it. And with the turbo, I can imagine it being much worse as the turbo kicks in and adds to the fun of trying to control the throttle. It can be a giant pain in the butt and very disappointing. When I first started driving Punisher I was questioning my own sanity that made such a huge change to drivability. From smooth and controlled power to a hammer.

Stated another way, it may just not be a whole lot of tun to drive and it keeps getting dumped.

heck look at Tony He took his car to 1000 HP then got rid of it. Similar problem. When is enough enough?

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
It sounds like the problem is more "not enough control" and less "too much power".

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
192 Posts
There really is such a thing as "too much horsepower". I saw today a guy with TMH at autocross nearly put it into a wall, then slid it sideways all over the place, almost hitting timing equipment, then he was partway in the grass. For the 3rd year in a row at this event, it's clear there's TMH and too little driver control, and it's a bad mix.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's a dealer. 99% chance they have no real plans to sell it, but in order to use it as a tax write off and gain the ability to slap a dealer plate on it for the occasional drive without registration and insurance, they have to list it and create the illusion it's "for sale." If someone actually comes along and offers them that much, even better.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I suspect that the issue with the car is it is not drivable on the street. Its a track car. My car isa 460 at the wheels and when its cold it can be a bitch to drive. It is sensitive to throttle and if you are not very careful, a very small throttle input will result in a leap forward that causes you to move back in the seat and relax the throttle then bounce forware. Its very easy to get into a jerk, jerk, jerk mode where the car is chirping the tires or coasting.
That made me laugh as I recalled a short drive with a friend in his 55 Austin Healey with a hotted up Chev 283. He had just got it running but didn't have an accelerator linkage, just a piece of wire attached to the carb, nor a proper exhaust yet (just pieces of flex pipe shoved into manifold flanges) and we were young and foolish, so of course we jumped into the unlicensed car to run it up his street and back.

I had the job of sitting on the battery in the passenger compartment and keeping it hooked up and he sat on an orange box. Of course when he first pulled the wire attached to the carb, he instantly rolled back on the box, pulling harder again on the 'accelerator'. We somehow managed to run a couple of very loud blocks out and back to his carport in the lane, leaving smoking pieces of exhaust accordion tubing at the side of the road, and a quickly summoned police car driving up and down the streets and alleys looking for him.

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
Ah to be young and foolish. And lucky.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yeah - it is more excusable than being old and foolish, which seems unfair somehow!

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,768 Posts
Yeah - it is more excusable than being old and foolish, which seems unfair somehow!

That's because you are looking at it in the wrong way.

You have to start calling it "old and senile" then it's excusable!!!

• Haha
Reactions: agent008
21 - 40 of 40 Posts