Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first day of track testing of the Mallett V8 Solstice is complete with great results. The V8 Solstice (as seen at SEMA 2005) was able to match indentical track times as a 2005 Z51 Corvette on the same course!

Test conditions were 60 degrees (20 degrees cooler than the Z51 test). In addition, the V8 Solstice ran cooler than the Z51 which suffered from oil overheating (300+ degrees) after just 8 laps. The V8 Solstice was able to run 10 laps without exceeding 240 degrees in oil temperature. More testing will be executed this week, stay tune for actual numbers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waiting for more information on the 3 runs from yesterday. The rotors are 13" on 19" wheels, hopefully the brakes held up well. The pads used are the standard street pads sold in the conversion, not a full race pad.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
TerpFan said:
...The pads used are the standard street pads sold in the conversion, not a full race pad.
:eek: Based on my limited experience, that's not good...

Or do you mean the pads are a special pad that is on the car from a conversion (not the production pads?)...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SolsticeMan said:
:eek: Based on my limited experience, that's not good...

Or do you mean the pads are a special pad that is on the car from a conversion (not the production pads?)...
Yes, these are standard performance pads included in the conversion. The full race pads would have made for a better run at the track, but they tend to damage the rotors over a short time and requires rotors to be reworked or replaced. Racing is an expensive hobby. :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
TerpFan said:
The first day of track testing of the Mallett V8 Solstice is complete with great results. The V8 Solstice (as seen at SEMA 2005) was able to match indentical track times as a 2005 Z51 Corvette on the same course!

Test conditions were 60 degrees (20 degrees cooler than the Z51 test). In addition, the V8 Solstice ran cooler than the Z51 which suffered from oil overheating (300+ degrees) after just 8 laps. The V8 Solstice was able to run 10 laps without exceeding 240 degrees in oil temperature. More testing will be executed this week, stay tune for actual numbers.

You can actually take the V8 Solstice out on the track? I didn't see roll bars in those pictures, seems like a death trap if you lose it in a corner.

·
Registered
456 Posts
We live, die and come back ,then do it again. Life itself is a risk. :leaving: So enjoy it the way you want die.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TOY4TWO said:
You can actually take the V8 Solstice out on the track? I didn't see roll bars in those pictures, seems like a death trap if you lose it in a corner.
You be surprise how production cars are track tested, some don't even were a helmet :willy:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Moving to Performance section.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I want videos!!!!!
The LS2 exhaust note with the Solstice has to look and sound awesome. Can anyone get vids????????

Please!!!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bradyb said:
I want videos!!!!!
The LS2 exhaust note with the Solstice has to look and sound awesome. Can anyone get vids????????

Please!!!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Waiting on pictures from Mallett, he has promised. Here is one taken on the road from SEMA...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Hey Terp, If you can get some videos and post them up on this forum I bet Chuck will sell another 20 conversions! Serisously that's how STS sold all their turbo kits was with their online videos:

Here's my car:
At Sema
quick launch

Somthing like this would be perfect for your car:

nice and smokey

·
Registered
393 Posts
That's good news to hear. With the race weight being a little less than the C6 I would expect better trap speeds in the quarter. With that conversion the car is damn near 50/50 in weight balance, and with their suspension upgrade, that thing has got to be just plan out fun. Although it matched track times I bet it felt faster and lighter, and maybe more fun than the C6 at the track. I can't wait to jump in one. haha.

Jay

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
LS2 Solstice said:
With that conversion the car is damn near 50/50 in weight balance, and with their suspension upgrade, that thing has got to be just plan out fun.
I would think it would be the other way around. They have added more weight to the front, which is the heavy end in the original equasion. As far as I have heard, they haven't transfered any weight to the rear, so I would assume that the car is now further from the supposed 50/50 ideal rather than closer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AeroDave said:
I would think it would be the other way around. They have added more weight to the front, which is the heavy end in the original equasion. As far as I have heard, they haven't transfered any weight to the rear, so I would assume that the car is now further from the supposed 50/50 ideal rather than closer.
The front to rear weight was improved, but Solstice was really never 50/50 front to rear to begin with, more like 53.8/46.2. The Mallett V8 Solstice is closer to 53.4/46.6. The side to side weight is 50/50 with 200 lb driver and 1/2 tank of gas though. By changing the center of gravity in the car (mounting engine lower in the chassis and lowering the car) the weight balance was improved.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Terp.....

Where's the videos!!!!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
TerpFan said:
The front to rear weight was improved, but Solstice was really never 50/50 front to rear to begin with, more like 53.8/46.2. The Mallett V8 Solstice is closer to 53.4/46.6. The side to side weight is 50/50 with 200 lb driver and 1/2 tank of gas though. By changing the center of gravity in the car (mounting engine lower in the chassis and lowering the car) the weight balance was improved.
I'm not trying to dispute the weight distibution numbers, I'm just curious how it was achieved. Lowering the engine in the frame and lowering the car overall doesn't do anything to improve weight distribution between the front and rear axles. It does lower the center of gravity and thereby improves lateral traction. It would seem to me that to put in a heavier engine, and heavier components to support that engine, yet still improve the front/rear weight distribution, would require some significant weight being transfered to the rear of the car.

Was anything moved? Was the engine placed further aft of the front axel, and if so, what did that do to your foot well area? Was the rear end and tranny changed to heavier units, and therefore transfering more of the gross weight rearward? Again just curious, not really trying to be contrary. The V8 conversion is a significant achievment, and if the numbers you are quoting are correct, then it is outstanding.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts