Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mallett Conversion Update - 5/20

Just received the latest information on the conversion of the Solstice from Chuck Mallett.

The price range is $15k - $18K for the conversion (prices depend on number of pre-orders, the more the cheaper the price). You must provide the car for this pricing. Cars will be accepted directly from the factory to dealer near the shop by changing to another BAC code provided by Mallett Cars. This saves on the expense of transporting your car to them.

Deposits for pre-orders will be accepted beginning June 1. 60% due at time of order (this helps lower cost to them and you). This translates to $9K - $11K due at order. No word on type of payments accepted yet; waiting for confirmation on this.

Conversion time is 10 days or less once car is started and all parts for conversion are on hand.

Now the good stuff, the conversion will replace the 2.4L engine with a new LS2 motor; I imagine you can arrange to keep you old engine for additional fee. New exhaust, performance clutch, new brake rotors and calipers, shifter, and special Mallett badging. Exact details of these parts will follow after they have been ordered.

If you are interested, please contact Mr. Chuck Mallett at www.mallettcars.com.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Interesting update, thanks.

Seems like he might be getting ahead of himself a little since the cars are not even out yet? Wouldn't he have to prototype making all these changes on a car first?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
If you can shove a LS2 under the hood, what about an RSX engine swap?

2.0L
210 hp
143 ft-lbs.
23 mpg / 31 mpg

The fuel economy on the Solstice is really sub-par. Maybe engine swapping could fix this. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
stang said:
If you can shove a LS2 under the hood, what about an RSX engine swap?

2.0L
210 hp
143 ft-lbs.
23 mpg / 31 mpg

The fuel economy on the Solstice is really sub-par. Maybe engine swapping could fix this. :)
Aren't you losing quite a bit of torque with the RSX motor? I don't I'd be able to justify that swap in my own mind. If I'm gonna swap, I'd get something that will at least outperform stock by 40-50% But that's just me... everyone has different priorities, right?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There has to be plenty of motors you could use for an engine swap that would get as good if not better mileage in a Solstice as that RSX-S motor.

Besides, if your going to go through all the cost and trouble of doing an engine swap on a modern car, getting it to run reliably, and pass emissions (in states that require it) I think I'd want more power and torque than 210/143. It hardly seems worth the effort for a couple of extra MPG's.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
True. I just think that 20/28 is rather poor MPG for 170hp. I get 135hp in my Civic and get 32/38 MPG. I just wish that "General Motors" had a competitive 4-cylinder engine. The RSX was the first engine I came across, that's why I listed it in my example. I actually prefer V6 engines myself. :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Delnari said:
From what I understand the prototype has already been done late last fall with one of the test mules.
Hum, guess I thought they'd be a little more tight-lipped with the test mules over in GM-land and he'd have to wait like the rest of us :lol:

The weight question is good, guess the 50/50 weight distribution is thrown off by the extra heavy engine (does that matter in a beast like this?).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
stang said:
True. I just think that 20/28 is rather poor MPG for 170hp. I get 135hp in my Civic and get 32/38 MPG. I just wish that "General Motors" had a competitive 4-cylinder engine. The RSX was the first engine I came across, that's why I listed it in my example. I actually prefer V6 engines myself. :D
The mileage is a little low on paper, but it may be low because of more aggressive gearing, and aerodynamics that are not ideal. The notchback style of the softtop will hurt the car's mileage a little. Since it is a sporty car, getting the most economy out of the engine was probably not a top priority in this application.

Plus, that mileage number probably will be adjusted once final testing and certification is done. I have seen GM adjust preliminary mileage figures up in the past on a few cars. If they are preliminary, they may also be conservative.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The LS2 is a small block chevy engine bored out over the normal 5.7 litres to 6.0 litres. The size should not be any higher than the ECOTEC engine, but sit wider only. I hope the motor mounts are retained as they are a good selling point for the 2.4L ECOTEC engine in the Solstice. The reason why the LS2 is a great choice here is the electronics should match up well with the Computer Area Network (CAN) on the Solstice. Putting a different manufacturer engine in would required all new electronics to function properly. Curious to see if the same computer controls on the C6 Corvette will be carried over too. With 400 hp it would be real nice to have TC and SC features.

The EPA should be good too with the engine getting 18 to 26 in a C6 and 17 to 25 in the GTO. My guess would be in the range of 20 to 28 if the total weight is kept under 3100 lbs. I have ask Chuck for any test numbers he has from his test car. Not sure if he will want to share that just yet since some of the components would change to the production conversion.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Delnari said:
...The EPA should be good too with the engine getting 18 to 26 in a C6 and 17 to 25 in the GTO. My guess would be in the range of 20 to 28 if the total weight is kept under 3100 lbs...
Mmmm, have to disagree, somewhat. The Vette and Goat transmissions have 6 speeds and, from the factory, run gearing that's been optimized for the street for better MPG.

If the Mallett conversion doesn't change transmission or gears, it'll probably be an outrageously quick little monster with terrible gas mileage. But with that much torque on tap, you could probably use 3rd gear for everything, from a dead stop to freeway speeds.

If you're worried about MPG with the LS2, don't worry, be happy. It'll be bad, I bet, nothing you can do. But you'll have a huge smile on your face everytime you hit the gas. Worth it? Oh, h3ll yeah!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Sure the ratios are close and short but there's nothing that requires you to bang through the gears everytime you accelerate. Just start out in second and shift to fifth to save gas.

·
Registered
352 Posts
For twenty grand over the price of the solstice...why not just buy a C6?

The beauty of the solstice is its 20 grand price tag. I'd probably suggest a supercharger on that cool motor rather than dropping in a V8 for 20 grand..

JMO but at that price ...probably better to just buy a vette....

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
JBsZ06 said:

The beauty of the solstice is its 20 grand price tag. I'd probably suggest a supercharger on that cool motor rather than dropping in a V8 for 20 grand..

Here's why not. Remember a little old chicken farmer from Texas known for his chili? Sorry, Cobra, but the Mongoose has arrived!! And if you actually were going to race one, a stripped Sol at 20 + 20 is only 40. The 427 Cobras were nose-heavy but that didn't stop them. The only thing faster in its day until the GT40 was the Cobra Daytona Coupe.

Although myself I am a little more practical and lean to the purist side so blowin' the stock engine makes the most sense, unless you do a BMW Z3 style upgrade and put an inline six (or five) under the hood.

HP aside, we drive on torque here in the US. It takes both but torque is more important than hp. Example two equal weight equal hp vehicles. The one with more torque wins.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
JBsZ06 said:

Agree....and you get a car built for a V8...JMO.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I agree that the MPG of a Corvette vs a LS2 Solstice is an apple and oranges comparison. The Solstice is geared with a high final drive ratio to get the must oomph out of a four cylinder engine, where the 'Vette has a lower rear end and two overdrive gears.

But comparisons to a Shelby Cobra aren't that far off except your talking the HP output of a all iron 427 from an all aluminum 6.0 small block. Yes it will add weight to the front which would normally add understeer, but you'd have so much power on tap, you could bring the back in out with just a blip of the gas.

Big question, what about an air conditioner? Can the stock compressor and condenser be used? And for that matter, will the stock radiator handle the bigger engine?

Although I had said earlier that I would be getting one of the first conversions, reason (or maybe cold feet) prevailed and have decided to drive my Solstice stock until the warranty runs out (a little over a year), saving my money hard. Then, if he hasn't already built his 100 cars, getting the conversion done then.

One advantage that appeals to me of a LS2 Solstice over a Corvette is the "Sleeper Factor". With a stock Solstice's acceleration similar to a non-MazdaSpeed Miata, imagine the fun you could have with a car like this. Just a blip of the gas at a stoplight would change the opinion of that kid in that Subaru sitting next to you! For that matter, there's a reason that Corvettes rarely exceed the posted speed limit by much, a Sly Solstice could almost fly undetected under a cops radar! And a guy in his fifties driving a Corvette is such a cliche, but a LS2'd Solstice would definately sit you outside the pigeonhole! And for me the biggest reason, if ten years from now, when looking back, would I be regretting not having gone for it? :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
achieftain said:
HP aside, we drive on torque here in the US. It takes both but torque is more important than hp. Example two equal weight equal hp vehicles. The one with more torque wins.
I have to agree. I know that in the US Diesel engines are normally not used in cars. I think for you it makes not much sense because of the cheap (don't kill me for that) fuel (in Germany 91 octane gas: 5.28 USD/gallon).

In Germany around 40% of all cars are Diesel. Modern, turbo-charged, direct-injection Diesel engines have several advantages. I own a VW Golf 4 that has a 100 hp 1.9L TDI Diesel engine.

I think most of you will smile now but this engine has 240 Nm of torque. And it only consumes 5/6 L of Diesel per 100 km! (for non SI-users: 47.0/39.2 mpg, 178 ft/lbs).

I've driven petrol-engines with ~150hp that didn't had that punch. A petrol-engine with a small displacement will never reach such a high torque at low rpm and at the same time deliver a high hp.

If you ask me everyone should be happy that GM has decided to torque-optimize the engine instead of going for the last few hp.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts