• Yes I would buy one, I'm seriously interested

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Yes I would buy one, but I can't afford it

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • No I wouldn't buy one, because I'm not interested

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • No I wouldn't buy one, because the base Solstice is for me

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • No, I wouldn't buy one, because I'm wating for a higher HP version of the Solstice

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I'm not getting either (Solstice or Mallett)

Votes: 2 1.7%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From this thread over here;
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38451
It's been determined that there's going to possibly be an official Mallet LS2 Solstice vehicle. http://www.mallettcars.com/ If the following scenario played out, would you be interested in purchasing one of these cars? Please be serious about this and vote not based on "oh yeah I'd want one if I could afford it," but in a realisitc way more along the lines of "I've got the money, and that's what I'm really going to buy." We're attempting to determine product interest.
  • LS2 Solstice @ ~$38,000
  • Ordering available approximately December (2-3 months after best case launch and production availability)
  • Completed car delivery February, 2006
  • Possible Mallett waranty (they offer 24 month/24,000 mile on their other vehicles)

·
Registered
275 Posts
i'll take vote#1

i have the money, im waiting for the sky, i would pay the money in an instant if i could be sure to have an LS2 sky! (and since this poll is for the purpose of trying to get an idea for mallet to purchase his parts, my sky will be just as crucial to this poll as everyone else's sol.

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Maybe you should add the following:
No I would not buy it because of the F/I version is less than $30K.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LatinVenom said:
Maybe you should add the following:
No I would not buy it because of the F/I version is less than $30K.
Anyone waiting for a Higher Perofrmance verison can just vote for the Base Solstice option. Because we don't know when it would be it, if it would be out, with what types of power, or what types of costs.

But mainly because I can't edit the poll choices. :D

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
OK,
Then my vote is for the base SOL/SKY option. :)

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I'd be interested in a Turbo LE5 engine myself (assuming it would fit.)
I noted the LE5 comes in two compression ratios, which I'm guessing is to accomodate induced air intake either through something like the LSJ supercharger or perhaps a turbo.

I might be a bit hesitant to pop a turbo/supercharger on an stock LE5, but I'd consider it on the 9.5:1 2.4 liter engine.

I'd also be interested in a weight comparison of this theoretical engine vs. the LS2.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
All I can say is with all this talk of V8 engine mods where are Rickady88GT and SkyCaptain?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Put me down for getting a base LS2 conversion. But a lot of thoughts keep nagging me and I can definitely understand trepidation:
1. The POS car I'm driving now may not last till spring.
2. It's a lot of money to pay for an option that, for the most part, cannot be seen, but can be heard and definitely can be felt.
3. This will be a daily driver. Can it really stand up to the couple of hundred thousand miles I usually put on a car before I sell it.
4. It looked like I was going to have saved enough money to almost pay for the car when it arrived in the fall. Now I will be looking at a three year car payment to cover a (some say) silly option.
5. The plan had been to buy a 2006 Solstice and trade it in 2-3 years latter for a FI version. I keep remembering about the loss I'd take on that trade in.
6. Until now, the cars I've driven have been for the most part, sensible. There is no way this car could be called that!

But all are answered by one thing:
There's a 400HP V8 Mallett Racing roadster sitting in my garage! :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would love to have that much power in the sol, but at almost twice the cost of the car itself, I can't afford it. Don't forget the car was made to be inexpensive so we average guys can easily afford it. I could have them convert mine down the road, after i can save up the 18 grand, I would do it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mallett also makes Supercharger kits for all their cars too. Imagine one of those on your LS2 Solstice. :D

package said:
I noted the LE5 comes in two compression ratios, which I'm guessing is to accomodate induced air intake either through something like the LSJ supercharger or perhaps a turbo.
Two compression ratios for the LE5, where did you see those from?

·
Registered
263 Posts
FI or normal aspriation

The new Solstice will be different things to different people. It's going to be a commuter car for those just trying to look good. A weekend or after work fun car to relieve the stress. A blank canvas to make it into a unique hot rod.

I am one of the later, I enjoy making my cars into a personal statement. Getting the most performance I can afford out of them. The Solstice can be a modern day version of the Ford Shelby Cobra, IMHO. I think this is what some of the conversion experts think too.

Dropping 400-500 HP in a rear-wheel roadster is my idea of a modern dream car. At least in my budget.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
solsticeman said:
Poll edited to add another Solstice choice.
Thanks Super Mod. :D

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I want to change to the new option on the poll!!

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
package said:
I want to change to the new option on the poll!!
Me too!!!

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
brentil said:
Two compression ratios for the LE5, where did you see those from?
I'm lookin!!! Just read it last night....

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'll look into buying mine piece-by-piece. Mostly because I can't drop $38,000 on the car and I want my Solstice sooner rather than later. Also, I like to turn my own wrenches. Sure, this will probably mean that I won't have the benefit of the Mallett warranty, but if something serious fails, the car has to be shipped to Mallett for repairs anyway, right? If I do the install myself, I'll be intimately familiar with all the bits and pieces, so I'll be able to handle the repairs as well. And if something breaks due to poor installation, I'll have nobody to blame but myself.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Ah, but the real question, how does the wife feel about you miss messing with her Precious? You always want to leave an open escape....."Darn those guys at (fill in blank)! I could have done it better myself!" :lol:

·
Registered
753 Posts
if the general did it for an extra 4-5k i'd have to consider it, but i expect to be quite happy with the power/weight of the stock solstice. it's similar to some of my favorite driving cars.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts