Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sorry, I should have used the term "carrier." The carrier is the piece that the ring gear bolts to, this is the Quaife part you're referring to. The parts that Travis (blackbird) and others have are case failures. This happens because the torsional force on the pinion and the ring gear causes the pinion gear to try to push toward the front of the car. The case is weak in the "snout" and the pinion puts so much pressure on that portion that it eventually breaks the case.

This could happen for a number of reasons, my guess would be the pinion trying to climb the ring gear, which could be alleviated a couple ways, but is an issue from the factory, as evidenced by the noisiness of the 06 diffs. Different backlash would help this a little bit.

The reason the CTS differential units appear "stronger" is because of the lower gear ratios. There is much less stress in a 3.23 or 3.42 gear than there is a 3.73 or a 3.91. Less torque means less torsional pressure to push the pinion out.

Hope that makes sense. This is why GMTech made the brace that he made, it holds the front of the case onto the rear so the torsional pressure isn't as stressful on the case.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Looks Like I will also be looking for a 3.23 LSD Carrier soon, but I will have to see how I like the driving experience this spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am curious about the flywheel, pilot bushing and clutch assembly to match up a 4.8 o5.3 etc...to the stock AR-5. I have read many posts and searched quite a bit and still cannot find a good source for information. I just want to have everything ready when I start my swap.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Also would like information on bellhousing or conversion ideas.
FWIW, there's a "Kappa Swap" group on FaceBook, the focus is V8 swaps. It's a closed group so you'll have to join to ask questions or make comments.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts