Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
enderokc said:
here is an interesting article I found on Edmunds this morning about the Mallett Solstice/Sky. I cant wait to see how much these cars are going to cost :) also it said that the solstice will have 177hp and sky 170hp, why the diffrence?? I thought they were the same engine????

oh here is the article

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=105969
Originally the Sol was quoted at 170 hp, but they must have done some tuning that increased it to 177 hp. Maybe they are not going to do that on the Sky or just haven't decided on it. That's my guess anyway.

·
Registered
446 Posts
In the f-bodies, variations of a few horsepower like that between the camaro and the firebird were due to small differences in the intake and exhaust setups.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Great find! Chuck Mallett has said he'll just make 100, it'll cost between $15 and $18,000 (plus the price of your Solstice) and he started taking deposits of $10,000 June 1.

I know it's trivial but it's funny that they miss spelled Mallett twice with just one "T", once in the picture caption and once in the last paragraph. Don't you just love the quirks of Spell Check. ;) We'll know if they read this forum if they fix it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
So edmunds.com found our discussions about the mallet engine, got even less information about it than the people on this website have found out, and posted a short article on it.

I'd expect a little more detective work from them than that. Like Mallett's estimated prices at least.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
Originally the Sol was quoted at 170 hp, but they must have done some tuning that increased it to 177 hp. Maybe they are not going to do that on the Sky or just haven't decided on it. That's my guess anyway.
I thought I read somewhere that the Sol was originally rated at 170hp but then bumped to 177hp because of premium gasoline. Perhaps the quote on the Sky is 170 because they aren't planning on reccomending premium in the owners manual. Saturn is (still) after all, one of the most economy oriented car brands. I mean, I don't know GM that well, but is there ANY Saturn that uses any higer than regular? I was thinking that maybe they just wanted to keep this one on low grade just like the rest of their line.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fformula88 said:
So edmunds.com found our discussions about the mallet engine, got even less information about it than the people on this website have found out, and posted a short article on it.
Funny I thought the same thing, wonder if they got that from reading this forum.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
Funny I thought the same thing, wonder if they got that from reading this forum.
Motortrend reports on information from GMI, so I would imagine all of those media outlets probably search the net for bits of information.

If Mallett had gone to them for some publicity, I would think he would have given them a little more to print. They must have stumbled across the rumors here or elsewhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
dori-san said:
...Saturn is (still) after all, one of the most economy oriented car brands.

I read somewhere that Saturn was going to move more upmarket between Chevy and Buick... similar to where Oldsmobile was...

Even doing that, however, it's possible they'll tune the sky for reg. unleaded due to the more reserved target market that Oldsmobile used to have.???

·
Registered
263 Posts
I believe it's people like us in these forums that spurs the articles to be written the first place. For instant, I have written the cable network TLC about featuring a story on Chuck and Lance Mallett on the show, "Rides". Seems like a good fit with them producing the V8 powered Solstice. Would be really cool to see how they make their conversions. Maybe they could do one for a big end of year car show, say "SEMA" for example ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
MO-KAN SHO said:
Even doing that, however, it's possible they'll tune the sky for reg. unleaded due to the more reserved target market that Oldsmobile used to have.???
doesnt smell right. im guessing they were closer to the truth with the intake and exhaust being different.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
MO-KAN SHO said:
I read somewhere that Saturn was going to move more upmarket between Chevy and Buick... similar to where Oldsmobile was...

Reserved target market and Sky don't belong in the same sentence.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
All of the different version of the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC run at different HP values. The released specs show all of the versions so far being tuned differently. It's one of those things GM does to try to distinguis the cars using the same platform across the different lines. The Cavalier/Sunfire did it, all of the current 2.2L ECOTEC cars do it, the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC is doing it as well. The Sky will be 170HP, the Solstice 177HP, the G6 167HP, the Cobalt SS 171HP, and the HHR 172HP.

Pontiac is the performance brand, so it makes sense for them to tune it's engine for more power at the cost of fuel economy. With the Sky they probably gave it a bit more fuel economy over power. It's also based off the type of vehicle it is. The HHR is tuned differently to better fit it being a small 'SUV.'

·
Registered
263 Posts
solsticeman said:
...CHUCK MALLETT!!! :lol:

So, Delnari/Chuck, where's the June pics of the car?
Sorry to disappoint. Just a fan of the builder, and want to see companies like Mallett Cars succeed for the benefit of all us power hunger car nutz.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
"...The {poster} doth protest too much, methinks..." ;)

(-bastardized from Hamlet, Act III Scene 2, by Billy-boy Shakespeare)

"... and much too quickly at that!!! "

(-added by SmartA$$ S-man...)

You could have milked it for much longer, Del' :lol:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
MO-KAN SHO said:
Actually, yes. From what I remember reading they are planning to market Saturn right under Cadillac in terms of luxuriousness. Hence the word "still" that I put in parentheses... because the still are the most economy oriented brand.

brentil said:
Pontiac is the performance brand, so it makes sense for them to tune it's engine for more power at the cost of fuel economy. With the Sky they probably gave it a bit more fuel economy over power.
I was heading in that direction! I knew it had something to do with fuel.. LOL Okay so I was a little off by saying that the Sky will use regular, but that's kind of what I meant is that since Saturns are so economy based the Sky is lower because they want it to be a little more economical. :D

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
dori-san said:
Actually, yes. From what I remember reading they are planning to market Saturn right under Cadillac in terms of luxuriousness. Hence the word "still" that I put in parentheses... because the still are the most economy oriented brand.
Actually I believe Saturn is supposed to be between Chevy and Buick, and not Buick and Cady. They're touting the new Saturn as superior to Honda and VW cars but below lines like Acura/BMW/Merc. Buick is the supposed BMW fighter.

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/8650113800166434/

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
solsticeman said:
"...The {poster} doth protest too much, methinks..." ;)
(-bastardized from Hamlet, Act III Scene 2, by Billy-boy Shakespeare)
"... and much too quickly at that!!! "
(-added by SmartA$$ S-man...)
You could have milked it for much longer, Del' :lol:
Solsticeman:
And you, who "suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous" claims you were Bob Lutz, are quick to cast the spot light in a new direction. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts