Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mallett Cars just sent me their first test data from a day at the drag strip, Sunday November 13.

65 Degree weather - cloudy
Stock wheels and tires, no tuning, running 93 octane pump gas

Total of 5 passes (car was driven to strip, not trailered)

Best 0-60 time (running V Box timer) - 4.2 seconds
Worse 0-60 time - 4.5 seconds (no spin start)

Best 1/4 time - 13.20 seconds at 113.7 miles per hour
Worse 1/4 time - 13.89 seconds at 109.1 miles per hour

These were the first test days at the drag strip to see where the tuning works needs to be done. Again, this is with stock Goodyear RS-A 245/245/18 tires. Mallett will go back to the garage this week and teak the suspension a little bit and run his upgraded wheel and tire package on the next track day. The problem with these first runs was 2nd gear wouldn't hookup and tires keep spinning all through 2nd gear.

Mallett believes that he will get it to 4.0 seconds (0-60) and 12.5 seconds (1/4) with some suspension tuning and upgraded wheels/tires.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Maybe this has been answered before, but are you using the stock clutch, tranny and rearend?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replacement clutch, LUK. Drivetrain other than clutch is stock. Upgrades are available for those who want more excitement, 6-speed, different rear gearing, stronger drive axles, etc.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
...or less excitement, depending on how and when the axles or transmission let go!

Thanks again for all the updates! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Videos Videos Videos!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Nocturn said:
who would have thought a car with equal power and equal weight would run around the same times... :leaving:
#1 your talking about a Corvette

#2 the Sol is a convertible

#3 the Sol/Mallett conversion is $10,000 cheaper then the Vette!

·
Registered
64 Posts
bradyb said:
#1 your talking about a Corvette

#2 the Sol is a convertible

#3 the Sol/Mallett conversion is $10,000 cheaper then the Vette!
#4 look at those trap speeds. Seems to have real traction problems. The 'Vette has 285's, vs the Solstices 245s. Even that up and I'll be the Solstice runs past the base C6.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You should post all the specs, 60 ft. etc.

That way we can get a better picture of what's going on.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
...And Videos would help paint a better picture too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Lol are you serious, its the same engine, minues maybe 50LBS.. It will hardly run by corvettes...maybe slowly slowly crawl away.

and the price difference is 7K...hardly saving alot of money once its all said and done.

stock weights 2860LBS to 3199 (for vette conv.)

But the Mallet isn't stock, factor in the near 3X as large an engine, beefier tranny and rear end and its probably about 3000 if not more.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Oh, but if you're comparing weights of the verts, make sure to do the same with prices. The vert C6 is a good bit more expensive... More than 7k over the v8 sol anyway...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Add the (roughly) 185lbs from the LS2 swap, subtract some weight to achive the weight balance Mallett is advertising, and you can figure roughly 3000lbs, yes. But the C6 is 3179 in coupe form.

180lbs is a lot when talking about 1/4 mile times.

The Z51 is running 12.6 @ 115, with 285's in the rear. The LS2 Solstice is running 13.2 @ 113.7, with 245s in the rear, and according to the post, was spinning second away entirely.

.6 seconds apart, with the Solstice having severe traction problems. Throw larger tires on the Solstice and you could shave that .6 seconds easily. Give it a T-56 and I have no doubt it would run past the 'Vette.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was a first run with the car out of the shop. Tuning now begins! Larger wheels and tires plus tweaks of the suspension are now in order to get the ride, handling, and performance at the best possible levels.

I have an option sheet from Mallett showing you can order the same engine upgrades he sells for his Corvette Hammer's. They include LS2 upgrade with 505 crank horsepower, or an LS7 with 550 crank horsepower. Both of these engine upgrades can have a Vortech Supercharger added for the truely insane, putting more than 700 HP to the wheels :willy:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
TerpFan, when do you get your car back for good?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The car now belongs to Mallett Cars as the official show car for the conversions. The car will be used at shows and promotional events starting early next year.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Well... I have decided to take my car to them as well once I get mine. I plan on calling today. TerpFan....is there anyone there you would reccomend I talk to/deal with.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Guess I must have missed something somewhere. Did you sell it to Mallet or what. Seems like alot of waiting and getting a 1k car just to get rid of it. Are you getting a Sky? Are you gonna to do the same with it. Not being nosey just trying to understand.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts