Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cruising down the highway at around 55 MPH and a 2007 Kenworth towing a low boy trailer crossed the highway right as the sun happened to blind me. By the time I saw him I was literally so close I couldn't even see the entire truck.

A woman who witnessed the accident reported to the highway patrol that she didn't see the truck either until she put her sun visor down.

The official report stated the accident resulted from failure of the Kenworth driver to yield, I hope the driver isn't suffering mentally as a result of the accident.

And just to brighten the mood, here's a humorous comic someone on Facebook made portraying the events.

I fractured the socket of my left hip, my left cheek bone, my maxilla (upper jaw), fractured my nose in two places and fractured my left orbital socket severely. Due to the damage to the orbital socket, I've lost most control of my left eye for now. I was admitted to OU Medical Center in OKC Thursday January 17th around 7 PM and was released around 4 PM Saturday January 18th after it was determined my hip wouldn't require surgery to heal. I expected to be there for a week, but was out 23 hours after the accident. I go back Tuesday January 22nd to have my entire face reconstructed using plates and hopefully get my eye straightened out. It'll take around three months for my hip to heal.

Hopefully by the time I'm healed up I'll be able to get a red or black GXP if I can afford it. I loved my Solstice too much to not get another one.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Wow that suck dude. Hope you get to feeling better.

·
Registered
350 Posts
WOW, sorry for your loss, pain and suffering. Where did the collision occur in relation to the truck? At the rear of the prime mover or rear of trailer? It is amazing that our little cars can fair so well against the largest on the road. I truely wish you well.

That is why I hate most truck drivers....they EXPECT us to avoid them. They pull out in front of us and cut us off on the interstate at the last moment becasue they CAN and becasue they are bigger. I know there are many great truck drivers and have ridden with a few, but too many are elitest drivers with no care for others because they are at work.

I do not want this to turn into a bashing thread either (either against me or truckers). I only stated this because the OP stated it. None of us would blantantly hit a semi becasue he was wrong, we all know to expect it and defensively prepare for their actions.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
Get well fast, that's the most important part of the whole thing. It looks like the car did its part in helping you survive, and it can be (fairly) easily replaced.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Dude, I don't know which looks worse, you or the Sol. Glad you're on the mend and that you'll make a full recovery. Looks like they had to pry you out of the car.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The most important thing is that you survived. And it sounds like reconstruction surgery will go well. Recovery will take a while, don't push it. Just listen to the Doctors, follow their instructions and everything will work out.

:grouphug:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear. :grouphug: Good luck with the recovery and search for a new Sol.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
You tangled with a Kenworth and lived. This says something for the crash worthiness of the vehicle.

Take advantage of the recovery process and get on with with the fix up. :thumbs:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with DuckSol - wow! And ouch! Glad you lived to see another day! Feel better soon!

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Hope you fully recover and there are no other health issues because of this accident.
Take the time to take care of your recovery the car and everything else can wait.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, want to apologize for posting this in the Coupe forum. Between the painkillers and having lost my glasses in wreck, I'm not doing so good when it comes to navigating the internet. If a moderator wants to move this to the correct area of the site, that would be great. I want to state that I wasn't intentionally trying to get attention by posting a wreck in the Coupe forum.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Jacoby

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And yeah, they had to cut me out of the car. Luckily I always have the top down on my car unless it drops below 40 degrees Fahrenheit and it happened to be in the 50s. I think having the top down may have helped them pull me out.

I've been told that there is a pretty big dent in the metal windshield frame that is likely where my orbital socket and cheek made contact.

I honestly think that if the semi hadn't been towing a low boy trailer, I would have been decapitated.

If and when I get another Solstice, I've decided this emblem is going on the car to remind me just how lucky I am to be driving another Solstice.

·
Registered
292 Posts
All the best to you.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did the collision occur in relation to the truck? At the rear of the prime mover or rear of trailer?
From what I can remember during the split second before the impact (which isn't much), I think I hit the truck around the rear axle of the trailer. I know I hit the trailer though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You are very blessed to be alive.Im glad to hear you made it through,and hope your recovery is fast and you dont suffer any permanent damage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is why I hate most truck drivers....they EXPECT us to avoid them. They pull out in front of us and cut us off on the interstate at the last moment becasue they CAN and becasue they are bigger. I know there are many great truck drivers and have ridden with a few, but too many are elitest drivers with no care for others because they are at work.

I do not want this to turn into a bashing thread either (either against me or truckers). I only stated this because the OP stated it. None of us would blantantly hit a semi becasue he was wrong, we all know to expect it and defensively prepare for their actions.[/QUOTE]

Easy there hot rod.
I happen to drive 400 to almost 600 miles a day,depending on my route.
I can assure you while running onboard video, truckers arent your enemy.
We always get sold out.
I drive to Alabama 4 days a week,and back to Ga.My camera has tons of video of me getting sawed off,pulled out in front of,bright lighted by leos,its o.k. though.
Im not your typical mouth breathing,knuckle dragging driver.People have no idea that everything they use was delivered by a lowly trucker.
My day will start at 2am and most likely be home around 6pm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Easy there hot rod.
I happen to drive 400 to almost 600 miles a day,depending on my route.
I can assure you while running onboard video, truckers arent your enemy.
We always get sold out.
I drive to Alabama 4 days a week,and back to Ga.My camera has tons of video of me getting sawed off,pulled out in front of,bright lighted by leos,its o.k. though.
Im not your typical mouth breathing,knuckle dragging driver.People have no idea that everything they use was delivered by a lowly trucker.
My day will start at 2am and most likely be home around 6pm
I hear ya buddy. I've always had respect for truck drivers because I know its difficult to maneuver something that big with a bunch of little cars buzzing around you. I've always thought truckers should get their own lane just to make things easy on everyone, especially to make it easy on truckers. I contacted the highway patrol office and they wouldn't give me the guy's number, but they agreed to pass on a message for me. I asked them to let him know I don't want him to feel like it was all his fault or to feel guilty. I asked them to let him know I'm going to make a full recovery and that I'm sorry for throwing a monkey wrench in things for him.

Really, more than anything, I just hope the other guy isn't mentally traumatized, because all my damage is physical, and that'll heal.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hear ya buddy. I've always had respect for truck drivers because I know its difficult to maneuver something that big with a bunch of little cars buzzing around you. I've always thought truckers should get their own lane just to make things easy on everyone, especially to make it easy on truckers. I contacted the highway patrol office and they wouldn't give me the guy's number, but they agreed to pass on a message for me. I asked them to let him know I don't want him to feel like it was all his fault or to feel guilty. I asked them to let him know I'm going to make a full recovery and that I'm sorry for throwing a monkey wrench in things for him.

Really, more than anything, I just hope the other guy isn't mentally traumatized, because all my damage is physical, and that'll heal.[/QUO

Your a great guy for going to those lengths in your condition.I hope you are feeling better,and as I driver I thank you for thinking about the driver.He may not deserve it,but its nice to hear :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts