·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted under "dead horse"

Ok, quick update...
I managed to find a 1st allocation Sol slot one state over. :willy:
Here are the details:
They agreed to sell at MSRP but would like a non-refundable $3000 deposit. Also, they will title, etc. the car in my name and address, HOWEVER - they want to register the car with Pontiac/GM using the fleet manager's address. :skep: The reason they gave me is if they use my address it will be recorded as an out of state sale and this will effect their future Sol allocation numbers (kinda makes sense, I guess). The mgr. referred to RDR (Retail Delivery Reporting). The mgr. indicated that the only thing it would effect would be my receipt of any recall notices. Also, I could do a change of address after 6-months which would resolve this issue.

Does this sound Kosher? I'm a little nervous about this, but obviously I want the car. Anyone feel this is an acceptable thing to do?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't know the first thing about the legitimacy of this -- hopefully Small Dealer can give you an informed answer -- but my only recommendation would be to get all of this in writing from the dealer, including his claims about changing in 6 mos, etc. I learned the hard way about taking a dealer at his word. My order now is with a dealer who was willing to put EVERYTHING in writing. IMO, if a dealer isn't willing to put his word in writing, he/she shouldn't be given the business.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Deposit

The only problem I see is with the non-refundable deposit. If for some reason you decide to back out the dealer will have no problem selling the car and can get their $3000 by marking the car up. Or as an alternative, put in your own terms such as if the car isn't delivered by a certain date the money becomes refundable if you change your mind.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Is the Managers name---Ben Dover?

No way on the $3K!!

Run, do not walk away from these thieves.

Take care-Steve

:willy:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'll defer to the dealers on the board regading the registration angle but the on the $3000 deposit....does this dealer not think they can sell it if you back out?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Have you tried other dealers in that same State?. I do not do business with a Dealer that would required a non refundable deposit,
However if you do go through it take the advise of others and get things in writing and make sure you read that contract from top to bottom.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I wouldn't put down a $3,000 non-refundable deposit for a car that you have not been able to sit in, let alone test drive. It's simple logic that some of the people who ordered Solstices will not fit or may not like the look, feel, etc. of the car once it comes in.

And overall, the whole thing sounds a little shady to me. Why would selling the car out of state, versus NOT having sold the car AT ALL make a difference in the dealer's future allocations? His number of cars sold in-state would be the same either way. :willy:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
sol4soul said:
The only problem I see is with the non-refundable deposit. If for some reason you decide to back out the dealer will have no problem selling the car and can get their $3000 by marking the car up.
It does sound a bit steep, however if you back out of the sale, it's going to be in the other dealer's possession. So my guess is they would either have to pay to have it shipped to them or else just sacrifice that allocation vehicle to the other dealer and lose the credit for that sale. Also, there really isn't much of an incentive for a dealer to sell a high-demand halo car like this to somebody out of state. It's unlikely to yield repeat business or word-of-mouth referrals like it would if he sold it to a local. So although the terms may seem a bit unfair, I can understand why the dealer would want to be certain that it's a done deal if he's going to sell it to an outsider. It could potentially be a headache for him if it gets to the other dealer and you refuse it. If you're absolutely certain you want the car and want it as soon as you can get it, you're not going to have many options at this point. I don't think it means the dealer is a crook, but I would err on the side of caution and get everything in writing.

Also, if you agreed to pay MSRP, I would make sure you get it in writing. Otherwise, they could say whatever they want when they deliver the car and your only options would be to take it with a huge markup or lose $3000.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
dengel said:
Why would selling the car out of state, versus NOT having sold the car AT ALL make a difference in the dealer's future allocations? His number of cars sold in-state would be the same either way. :willy:
Keep in mind that the car hasn't even started production yet, let alone hit the streets. I'm sure the dealer knows without a doubt that he can sell the car to a local buyer within the next four months if he wants to. So although he may not want to turn away a sale, he probably has no real interest in trying to dump it as soon as possible to an outsider when it would generate a lot more publicity for him if it were on the streets in his own town. A local buyer would be more likely to be beneficial for him.

I can even kind of relate to the basic line of thought to my own business. As a computer consultant, I have a base rate that I quote to anybody seeking my services, but I give certain discounts to clients that will make life easier for me. For instance, if there is a business right across the street from me, I will give them a better discount than one that is an hour away because it will save me time and effort. Also, I would give a better deal to a client who is more likely to yield a lot of referrals than one who is going to be a one-time gig because it's likely to generate more business and save me time and effort in marketing my business down the road. I wouldn't turn away the business of that one-time gig all the way on the other end of town, but I don't want to drive all the way out there if it's going to be a waste of my time. If they don't like my terms, they can go elsewhere and I won't be too disappointed.

It's not exactly the same thing, and the large, non-refundable deposit would concern me, but basically the dealer has the upper hand here and can call the shots. I'm quite certain they won't care if you pass on it.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
SlySol said:
It does sound a bit steep, however if you back out of the sale, it's going to be in the other dealer's possession. So my guess is they would either have to pay to have it shipped to them or else just sacrifice that allocation vehicle to the other dealer and lose the credit for that sale.
Did I miss a post about this being a courtesy delivery using two dealers? My assumption when SD Sol said he found a car one state over is that he would travel there to pick it up, not that he arranged a courtesy delivery with a local dealer.

I'll defer to others that are more knowledgable about car dealerships regarding the impact of the registered address, but I still would balk at a $3,000 non-refundable deposit. With the amount of interest generated by this car before production even starts, I can't imagine any dealer taking a loss because they can't move a Solstice off of their lot.

I would try to either negotiate for a smaller deposit, or for a refundable one. Maybe if you gave in on the address thing, the dealer would be more flexible on the deposit.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree in theroy about the comments of local vs one time sales and the whole word of mouth thing. But this is a Solstice and limited. However, if you are a state over but your local dealers are not that helpful (or doing huge markups) I would be happy to have my dealership noted further away. (EG Nice car...Yeah I went all the way over to X state to get it, but it was worth it they were a great dealer no mark-up, worth the drive). Now if this was a base G6 I could see the dealer saying who cares as they are all over the place.

Now 3,000 grand non-refundable? I would take something like 3,000 with 500 of it being non-refundable (but even then I wouldn't like it). As long as you are not ordering bare bones (which will still sell) the dealer will not have a problem moving the car (most likely the same day). The 3G's should let them know you are serious about the car but you need something so you don't take the hit if you don't like the car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
dengel said:
Did I miss a post about this being a courtesy delivery using two dealers? My assumption when SD Sol said he found a car one state over is that he would travel there to pick it up, not that he arranged a courtesy delivery with a local dealer.

I would try to either negotiate for a smaller deposit, or for a refundable one. Maybe if you gave in on the address thing, the dealer would be more flexible on the deposit.
Good point ... I was going under the assumption that it would be a courtesy delivery. How about clarifying that, SD?

If SD is indeed planning on picking it up at the out-of-state dealer, the non-refundable deposit does seem a bit more ridiculous. Because, as you said, he should have no problems moving it. He could still be using that factor to discourage the out-of-town sale in favor of a local sale. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try negotiating the terms, but the dealer is holding all the cards here, so they may not budge.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
MisterE said:
I agree in theroy about the comments of local vs one time sales and the whole word of mouth thing. But this is a Solstice and limited. However, if you are a state over but your local dealers are not that helpful (or doing huge markups) I would be happy to have my dealership noted further away. (EG Nice car...Yeah I went all the way over to X state to get it, but it was worth it they were a great dealer no mark-up, worth the drive). Now if this was a base G6 I could see the dealer saying who cares as they are all over the place.

Now 3,000 grand non-refundable? I would take something like 3,000 with 500 of it being non-refundable (but even then I wouldn't like it). As long as you are not ordering bare bones (which will still sell) the dealer will not have a problem moving the car (most likely the same day). The 3G's should let them know you are serious about the car but you need something so you don't take the hit if you don't like the car.
Yeah, most people might be willing to drive an extra hour or so if a dealer gets a great recommendation, but if SD lives in San Diego, I'm guessing it is more likely at least several hours to the dealer they found. And that's not likely to yield many customers for them at all. But if it's on the streets locally, everybody who asks will probably recognize the dealer name and may even stop by to find out more. On the other hand, if it were a base G6, I would think the dealer would be more likely to take whatever profit they could in selling the car and not care if it goes out of town, since there's no shortage of them and they still have plenty for local buyers.

I agree that I wouldn't necessarily like the terms, but I just don't see him having much bargaining power with this car. The dealer won't care if he passes on it and might actually prefer it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As Requested...

Some clarification.
This would NOT be a courtesy delivery. I would have to drive out and pick it up. Dealer has a small allocation of 2, the first of which they want for the showroom. Also, the dealer is located in the desert SW - you know, 115 in the shade come summer. I'm looking at black w/black leather, so the dealer has legitimate concerns about moving it, if I back out (which I can't imagine doing).

Overall, I'm not as concerned about the 3 grand as I am about this "registering it w/GM under the mgr.'s address" thing. I'm not sure how that's going to affect me in the long run. I would feel much more comfortable if I understood this aspect a little better. Any help is appreciated - thanks guys!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hmm ... you might want to PM SmallDealer and ask for a bit of input about the address thing. He's pretty active on here and seems to be a dependable source of info about the inner workings of the dealerships. That question is probably a bit too specific for those of us on the outside.

·
5,641 Posts
I am staying out of the main debate, and will join in on two small issues.

Deposit
A dealer can say non-refundable but it will depend on the state laws and purchase agreement wording. With a black car and California emissions in a near-by hot state, one can see (as the original poster said) a larger then normal deposit is requested.

The dealer is giving up a potential local Solstice sale which would be different colors and different equipment and be visable in their local market. And they are selling at MSRP.

Recalls
When putting together a list of recalled vehicles, GM checks state registration records. So there may not even be a delay in notification, if the Solstice is ever recalled. The best way around this though would be to register your car at MY GM LINK . This site would give you recall notification long before the letter would reach you. It also gives you on-line access to owner's manuals, and a place to keep track of your service history.

OK, I guess I will say something about the address issue. Personally, I wouldn't want to mess up my address in the great big world of modern data bases. That is my personal not professional opinion.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SD - As always, thanks for weighing in on this.
Small Dealer said:
OK, I guess I will say something about the address issue. Personally, I wouldn't want to mess up my address in the great big world of modern data bases. That is my personal not professional opinion.
So, basically you're saying that the address thing shouldn't affect my ownership of, or warranty work on the Solstice? But this does sound legitimate to you?

Overall, it makes me a little uncomfortable too, but if it's not going to affect me with regard to ownership, I guess I'm ok with it. Thanks again everybody!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts