Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off saying this car is beautiful! I'm saving up everypenny I have to buy one come next year. But is a manual convertible top common? The only convertible tops I see are powered and the only manual convertible top I have ever seen was a friends old Dodge Shadow a long time ago. So in other words is this car getting a cassette player when it should be a disc changer?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
In the lower 20k price point it is common to see manual tops (Miata).

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Miata, Corvette, Z3, MR2, etc.
It's not all that uncommon.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Manual tops are common, but the fashion at which this one operates and stores is somewhat unique. It has attachment points on the rear decklid that must be released before putting it down, and it must be folded into the trunk. This adds an extra step or two compared to other manual tops, but it also eliminates the need for a snap on or add on tonneau, leaving a very clean and finished look to the car when the top is down.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
:agree: with what they said. Manual tops have been around longer thamn power. The power tops of the 50's and 60's were somewhat tempermental, plus power to do the top adds weight and bulk.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
:agree: with what they said. Manual tops have been around longer thamn power. The power tops of the 50's and 60's were somewhat tempermental, plus power to do the top adds weight and bulk.
Yeah, if you thought the trunk was going to be small as is, imagine trying to squash the parts required to make the top powered. We'd end up with 1.4 cu.ft. top up and zero cu.ft. top down.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I agree that price point dictated the manual top. Room would've been another factor to consider for the engineers. They have been stressed to the max already. I feel that as an affordable back to basics roadster; the solstice completely met it's objective. More power later will be great.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I appreciate the lack of a power top. In fact, in such a small car, I wouldn't mind having window cranks in lieu of power windows and manual door locks instead of power door locks. I don't trust GM or their parts supplier's ability to make these power accessories reliable for the long haul.

I don't want to sound like I'm trashing GM, I have and LOVE the Chevy Camaro (1994) and Corvette (2002) in my garage right now. But both of these cars have had issues with their power door locks and windows.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The Batman said:
A truly modern car would include an MP3 player.
It does, kind of...you can plug you MP3 player into the radio.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The Batman said:
A truly modern car would include an MP3 player.
The CD Player IS also an MP3 player... So you can burn your MP3's to a CD (or 6 CD's if you opt for the 6 disc changer). ;)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
So it's both what mcbman and I said...
1) A jack to plug external device into
2) MP3 CD player

1 - 12 of 12 Posts