Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Good animation and welcome. If Bob Lutz takes his new global position to heart maybe we will see some projects like this which already exist on other GM products (Opel) as true global vehicles. Just don't hold your breath for it on the Sol/Sky.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Adero said:
A light weight manual hard top would be great up north.

The attached animation shows that it would be feasible with a new fuel tank design.

It’s coming - after GM notices their sales figures with the soft top they will produce either a coupe or the hard top convertible. :yesnod:

·
Registered
275 Posts
SlipSlider said:
And would drive the price way up.
screw the price... everyone knows they would have to pay more for a hard top, but how cool would that be?!? and if they didnt want the hard top, they could still get the ragtop. everyone's happy :)

i think it would be tough to work out the details, but it really is possible to do. i would love for them to have it available for the performance version.

·
Registered
527 Posts
As far as price, I don't see why a fully loaded retractable hard top sol would be over 30k, so it would still be an attractively priced roadster even with the addition.

I doubt we'll ever see it for a Sol. It's a remote possibility for the Sky. But if the Kappa takes off I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that a Buick Bengal would have the option...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think the biggest challenge to a retractable hardtop may be the size and shape of the trunk on this car. With a softtop there will only be 1.8 cubic feet of space left for other stuff. I doubt a hardtop could be collapsed as neatly as a softtop, so I would assume it would need even more space in the back. I don't know if the Sol, as it sits today, will have that space.

If any kappa got a hardtop, i would think it would be the Sky to go along with its more upscale image. The Sol could remain softtop to keep the price as low as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be a good advantage over the competition. The Solstice/Sky/Opel have small top that may allow a manual hard top (Keep It Simple and Stupid).

The cost should not be much more than a soft top + fix hard top for those who have few months (days) of summer.

If they plan to develop a hard top convertible for Europe (Opel), I suspect it would be available in North American market to.

As for the sales of the Solstice, this car will be a winner from the get go.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
One aesthetic difficulty with even a detachable hardtop on the Solstice is that the integrated boot-trunk* top is designed for top-down style. What do you call those aerodynamic speedster things behind the headrests? They look great with the top down but kind of weird with (even the softop?) up. Mugen makes a detachable racing fast back for the S2k that is just awesome looking, although it makes it very difficult to get into the trunk. If done right, that could be a great looking hardtop on the Sol but of course you'd want to remove the whole trunk and mechanism, which will never happen.

I use the term "trunk" very loosely here. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
A top without AFBTS is required for trunk access, A top WITH AFBTS looks better. It will be difficult for the designers. Examples of innovative tops are the Ferrari highlighted in PopSci this month, the top flips over 180 degrees and remains outside the boot. It also is electronically dimmed for adjustable shading, and it costs as much as the first 1000 Solsti put together. :lol: And the Ope Tigra twintop(already a GM product, one that Bob should seriously take a look at now that he is a global menace)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts