Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make a shifter knob (manual transmission). I happen to have some mahogany scrap that's the right size, so, hey, why not?

My understanding is that the thread isn't quite "standard," thus we have things like DDM's shift knob adapter.

Does anyone know the thread size / pitch for the stock knob? Since I'm making the thing anyway, it seems silly to make it the wrong size and then have buy get an adapter.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
The stock shift rod and knob is all one piece - with the boot also glued on. The knob is NOT removable, so there is no 'stock thread'.

The DDM piece replaces the entire shifter rod, knob and boot.

This is the stock unit with the boot cut off

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah. That clears things up. And E plains why I was never able to remove the knob without also removing the boot. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
You can replace your OEM shifter using a DDM shifter knob adapter: Shift Knob Adapter for Solstice/Sky by DDMWorks ($37), they also sell leather shift boots and a stainless shift knob

DDM Stainless steel shift knob: Stainless Steel Shift Knob by DDMWorks

Or simply buy the DDM shift knob adapter and shift boot and buy a custom shift knob using a M10 X 1.25 thread. (hotrodshiftknob).

I used DDM short shifter* and then bought an aftermarket shifter knob that included several thread inserts to match the shift rod thread size.
*Just wanted to add don't confuse the DDM short shift kit with the shift knob adapter, they are two separate items.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can replace your OEM shifter using a DDM shifter knob adapter: Shift Knob Adapter for Solstice/Sky by DDMWorks ($37), they also sell leather shift boots and a stainless shift knob

Or simply buy the DDM shift knob adapter and shift boot and buy a custom shift knob using a M10 X 1.25 thread. (hotrodshiftknob).

I used DDM short shifter* and then bought an aftermarket shifter knob that included several thread inserts to match the shift rod thread size.
*Just wanted to add don't confuse the DDM short shift kit with the shift knob adapter, they are two separate items.

Hi ChopTop - I know this is a lil older. I got the DDM short throw kit and adapter to use an aftermarket knob. Did you reuse the stock boot? I'm trying NOT to but the DDM one for 99 bucks. If you did use the stock boot, what did you do where it meets the knob, etc? Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I used the boot supplied by DDM as the result was way better than you could probably get with the hacked stock boot.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Hey Mark, yes I did use the OEM shift boot. Unfortunately, it's been so long that I can't say for sure whether there was any glue holding the shift boot to the OEM shifter. I'm thinking either there was very little glue (or none at all) because I don't remember it being all that difficult to remove from the OEM shifter and then slide the shifter boot over the DDM short shifter rod.

Hi ChopTop - I know this is a lil older. I got the DDM short throw kit and adapter to use an aftermarket knob. Did you reuse the stock boot? I'm trying NOT to but the DDM one for 99 bucks. If you did use the stock boot, what did you do where it meets the knob, etc? Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Mark, yes I did use the OEM shift boot. Unfortunately, it's been so long that I can't say for sure whether there was any glue holding the shift boot to the OEM shifter. I'm thinking either there was very little glue (or none at all) because I don't remember it being all that difficult to remove from the OEM shifter and then slide over the DDM short shifter rod.
Awesome!! I'm going to give it a whirl :) Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
In installed the DDM short shift and adapter today. Now my backup lights stay on very dim, even with the key out of the car. They go full bright when shifted into reverse, but in any other gear, including neutral, the lights stay on. I'm thinking the gearshift hits a switch somewhere that is somehow compromised from my actions. Does anyone have information that cold help me? Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
In installed the DDM short shift and adapter today. Now my backup lights stay on very dim, even with the key out of the car. They go full bright when shifted into reverse, but in any other gear, including neutral, the lights stay on. I'm thinking the gearshift hits a switch somewhere that is somehow compromised from my actions. Does anyone have information that cold help me? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Clueless here, send TomatoSoup a PM, he's our resident electrical guru, and a great asset to the Kappa community.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Edit to add that I should have include Dave @ DDM. Also, for what it's worth I've never read about anyone else having this issue before. Obviously it's related the the backup switch but I do not know how installing the short shifter would trigger the switch. You may want to consider removing the backup light bulbs to stop battery drain. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you happen to add led back up lights at the same time?
Many times there is enough current in a circuit to keep LEDs dimly lit even though it's not enough to light incandescent bulbs. If so you o just need to add a resistor to the circuit

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Edit to add that I should have include Dave @ DDM. Also, for what it's worth I've never read about anyone else having this issue before. Obviously it's related the the backup switch but I do not know how installing the short shifter would trigger the switch. You may want to consider removing the backup light bulbs to stop battery drain. Let us know how it turns out.
Me neither. There's a fuse and relay that supply the backup lamps (automatic), or they are controlled by a hard switch in the transmission (manual). The relay/switch is either on or off, so I can't see how the lights would light dimly. Maybe, though, you trapped a wire somehow(?) though even that's a stretch since the relay/switch controls the +ve side of the circuit.

For further debugging, pull the backup light fuse in the underhood fuse box. If the lights still light dimly, you have a shorted wire somewhere. Otherwise, if they don't then light at all, the only thing I can think of is the switch is busted and making some slight resistive contact when it should be "off".

·
Registered
8 Posts

Chop
Not to beat a dead horse but i just want to ask what you used for the transition piece from the bottom of the knob to the top of the OEM boot. I figure I will try to use my OEM boot first with the DDM adapter and a cool knob. I see where DDM supplies a top cap over their boot. Just curious what you used if anything. BTW, love the look of your Hurst shift knob !!!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I didn't use anything, and there was about a 12mm gap between the bottom of the shifter and top of the shifter boot. So I used a small amount of Gorilla Glue on the exposed shaft and used a rubber band to keep the shift boot in place for 24 hours. It's still holding after a year. I thought about buying DDM leather shift boot and spacer which looks good with their aluminum shift handle, but I didn't think the spacer would look right with the Hurst shift ball.

Chop
Not to beat a dead horse but i just want to ask what you used for the transition piece from the bottom of the knob to the top of the OEM boot. I figure I will try to use my OEM boot first with the DDM adapter and a cool knob. I see where DDM supplies a top cap over their boot. Just curious what you used if anything. BTW, love the look of your Hurst shift knob !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used the DDM shift boot with a Momo knob. The DDM boot comes with 3 metal rings in different polished, brushed, and black that can be placed on top of their boot. There is a much smaller hole in the top of the DDM boot as the DDM threaded top is much smaller than the factory rod. Issue with this is to pull the lower threaded cover down from the knob so the grub screws can be tightened against the threaded shaft, a gap between the bottom of the assembled knob and the DDM metal rings. This vibrates extremely loudly in motion. Presently a cut plumbing washer is solving the problem, but if I knew before what I know now, probably would have just gone with the DDM knob. To use it now, I expect I would have to run a die over the threads of the shaft because I'm sure the grub screws of the Momo know did a number on them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Likely Culprit

Did you happen to add led back up lights at the same time?
Many times there is enough current in a circuit to keep LEDs dimly lit even though it's not enough to light incandescent bulbs. If so you o just need to add a resistor to the circuit

After the post I thought about the fact that I should have included the information that Diode Dynamics LED's were put in the week before. I never noticed this "power off glow" when they were installed, but it could have been occurring since then, as I installed the LED's during the day and wouldn't have noticed. I noticed today that the backup lights do not constantly maintain this low glow - but I haven't timed how long they stay on after the car is turned off. Will do that.

Thank you greatly Soup, I'll pull and check the fuse. Is the switch in the transmission, and if so is it near the shift lever? The reason I thought the short shift installation may have caused damage is that to remove the factory shaft a great deal of force is required to remove the Allen screw that holds shaft to the shifter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After the post I thought about the fact that I should have included the information that Diode Dynamics LED's were put in the week before. I never noticed this "power off glow" when they were installed, but it could have been occurring since then, as I installed the LED's during the day and wouldn't have noticed. I noticed today that the backup lights do not constantly maintain this low glow - but I haven't timed how long they stay on after the car is turned off. Will do that.

Thank you greatly Soup, I'll pull and check the fuse. Is the switch in the transmission, and if so is it near the shift lever? The reason I thought the short shift installation may have caused damage is that to remove the factory shaft a great deal of force is required to remove the Allen screw that holds shaft to the shifter.

The switch is on the right side of the tranny. No where near the shifter. There is no way you could have damaged the switch. It just screws into the side of the tranny

Larry

·
Registered
79 Posts

The switch is on the right side of the tranny. No where near the shifter. There is no way you could have damaged the switch. It just screws into the side of the tranny

Larry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts