Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering pursuit of a Solstice and wondered if the automatic transmission can be manually shifted through the 5 gears. I appreciate anyone's response.

JG54

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
I am considering pursuit of a Solstice and wondered if the automatic transmission can be manually shifted through the 5 gears. I appreciate anyone's response.

JG54
The automatic cannot be shifted manually. There is an "I" setting that is supposed to be quite good for spirited driving, but that still does not allow manual shifting. I have a manual and so have no personal experience with it.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
John is absolutely correct. It can not be shifted manually thru the first three gears. I gear is used for attacking short quick runs thru very twisty sections. It works remarkably well. But at the top of third, you can manually shift to fourth and then again to fifth.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
In more modern sporty cars (probably the new Corvette as well) it is pretty standard to have the option to get an auto that can be manually operated as well, but when the Solstice was designed I think it would have been impossible to included something that expensive, and relatively new at that time, in a budget sports car.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Unfortunate that GM omitted that. The Mazda automatics have a setting for tap shift - engage it and you can shift up or down one gear by just pulling or pushing the lever up or down once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts