Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal with these cars? When shifting from 1 to 2 there is a pronounced clunk... when doing less then 5 mph with clutch fully depressed, shifting back and forth from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 it does the same thing ..
I've read here somewhere its normal and just learn to drive it. While I can go put of my way to lessen the clunk, I just want to be sure its not an issue.

Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Is this normal with these cars? When shifting from 1 to 2 there is a pronounced clunk... when doing less then 5 mph with clutch fully depressed, shifting back and forth from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 it does the same thing ..
I've read here somewhere its normal and just learn to drive it. While I can go put of my way to lessen the clunk, I just want to be sure its not an issue.

We’ve had a clunk since 1200 miles or so when we bought it. According to GM it was normal. 50,000 k miles and still same clunk and no issues that I’m aware of. It happens when I’m coasting or under light to zero throttle 1-2 or just shifting into neutral. Hard acceleration and I don’t have it

·
Registered
481 Posts
My '06 is stiff and clunks between 1st and 2nd on start up, but smooths out once everything gets warmed up. I found that a couple of ways to smooth things out until everything come up to temp is to either double clutch or let it sit in neutral for a second while shifting to 2nd. Most complain about the differential whine at speed, but I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad I found this thread. I thought the throwout bearing was starting to fail. It doesn't happen with semi-aggressive driving but when it's babied which I missed during test drive. I did change the trans fluid to Redline and what a difference!
What weight is redline fluid? So you're saying it quieted down noticeably?

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
What weight is redline fluid? So you're saying it quieted down noticeably?
Not sure what TommyFox used but i use Redline MT90 for the manual transmission as recommended by others on the forum. I still have the low speed clunk/clang/sproing/rattle (hard to describe) sound when disengaging the tranny at low speeds (like taking it out of gear and coasting up/down driveway).
I should add i recently replaced my clutch with an aftermaket one and an OEM slave cylinder and it did this noise both before and after the change. No difference. The forum says its normal but it does make me wonder why....

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
You know what they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, in this case a video. For the new folks, GM addressed the 06s clunk issue in 2007 by adding a torque bar that was bolted to the rear differential and the side of the transmission. It can not be added to 06s. Well it can be if you have to good mechanical skills. Part 4 in the pic.
White Organ Line Font Music

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,303 Posts
You know what they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, in this case a video. For the new folks, GM addressed the 06s clunk issue in 2007 by adding a torque bar that was bolted to the rear differential and the side of the transmission. It can not be added to 06s. Well it can be if you have to good mechanical skills. Part 4 in the pic.
View attachment 124602
In the comments for the video this is mentioned as a manual trans. I have a different noise that is at very low speeds that is more like a "loose" sound. Spring/rattle/boink hard to explain but happens when i push the clutch in when backing out of the driveway like in this video or taking it our of gear to use my momentum to roll up the driveway.

***Tangent: Why is there ALWAYS someone coming down the street when you are backing out of your driveway?

·
Registered
2006 red 2.4 5sp, very low km
87 Posts
In the comments for the video this is mentioned as a manual trans. I have a different noise that is at very low speeds that is more like a "loose" sound. Spring/rattle/boink hard to explain but happens when i push the clutch in when backing out of the driveway like in this video or taking it our of gear to use my momentum to roll up the driveway.

***Tangent: Why is there ALWAYS someone coming down the street when you are backing out of your driveway?
Cant resist your tangent.......because you live on a busy street. Lol

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Cant resist your tangent.......because you live on a busy street. Lol
The crazy thing is i dont. Its a dead end street. But it doesn't matter where I am backing up from, it's like clockwork and I had to laugh when i watched the video :)

·
Registered
18 Posts

View attachment 124602
View attachment 124602
OK- I see the arm added- but how does that allow driveshaft to move in and out of trans if both are tied together with the arm? Just received my 2009 GXP so haven't been underneath to see GM's solution. Seems like there'd be an easy fix to the problem- can't believe GM would let it go as is. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
OK- I see the arm added- but how does that allow driveshaft to move in and out of trans if both are tied together with the arm? Just received my 2009 GXP so haven't been underneath to see GM's solution. Seems like there'd be an easy fix to the problem- can't believe GM would let it go as is. Am I missing something here?
the differential housing is in a fixed position, the axles shafts move up/down with the suspension; rear end doesn't move, so with torgue bar installed it shouldn't move in/out at all, it is functionally a one piece unit from transmission to the rear end.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
On a 2009, i would say that the entire system is basically on the front motor mounts and rear differential mounts as the manual transmission bolts directly to the back of the engine block on one end and the torque bar on the tail of of the transmission which then mounts to the passenger side of the differential...There is no specific transmission mount after MY2006.
The transmission is basically entirely supported by the bolts on the bell housing to the motor and thus the motor mounts. The rear of the transmission is then jacked up with the torque bar bolts loose to a certain height then the torque bar is fastened to (I believe) at 170 ft lbs. This happens after the rear of the torque bar has already been torqued to the side of the differential.
Here is the torque bar on the ground just after i removed it... (you can see the differential carrier plate loosely in place inside the rear of the torque bar in this pic).
Hood Air gun Bumper Automotive exterior Shotgun

You cant really see much of the installed torque bar unless you remove the tunnel plates that cover it. (you should just see the end that connects to the differential without removing the tunnel plates)
Car Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
Previously owned a 2007 Solstice. Base model, manual trans, limited slip, black on tan.
353 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I thought the throwout bearing was starting to fail. It doesn't happen with semi-aggressive driving but when it's babied which I missed during test drive. I did change the trans fluid to Redline and what a difference!
[/Quote
Exactly what redline trans oil did you use and how much?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts