Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read that one must disconnect a certain sensor before changing the oil in the transmission. Doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Can someone explain? Also would disconnecting a battery terminal do the same? Thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't remember if you actually "have to," but you'll make your life a whole lot easier if you remove the post-cat O2 sensor in the exhaust, since the exhaust is generally in the way of removing the underbody panels.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember if you actually "have to," but you'll make your life a whole lot easier if you remove the post-cat O2 sensor in the exhaust, since the exhaust is generally in the way of removing the underbody panels.
Thanks for the anwser. Watched a video in which exhaust was not disconnected to get the pan off. Actually seemed quite easy! When I get it up on the lift will check it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the anwser. Watched a video in which exhaust was not disconnected to get the pan off. Actually seemed quite easy! When I get it up on the lift will check it out.
I was able to remove the access pan utilizing a flex head ratcheting 10mm wrench without removing the exhaust. One bolt is tough to access, however the flex head wrench makes it accessible.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You don't have to remove the exhaust. Just unbolt the cat/pipe head so you can move the mid-section out of the way for ease of access.
I can't recall if the fluid drain/overflow would hit the pipe. Nothing like the smell of burnt tranny oil.... :p

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Are you all talking GXP models? I changed the tranny oil in my '06, and didn't even get near the exhaust pipe.

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,375 Posts
You are on the right track here. Jack it up and it you can get to the bolts that are under the exhaust for the tranny tunnel then no you don’t have to remove the o2 sensor .
I have a GXP and a solo exhaust and in my case it has to move.
As Phil mentioned disconnecting at the cat and pushing the exhaust out of the way is the next option. PB Blaster or other penetrant is strongly recommended for exhaust bolts that haven’t been removed in a long time.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,375 Posts
Well if it means anything to you, this is a relatively infrequent fluid change and probably worth doing it right once, versus going back to do it again.
There is a video i posted a link to somewhere around the forum where the guy pulls them off the tranny and puts them under a microscope. Pretty convincing evidence that the crush washers "should" be replaced each time.
That being said I am sure some people on the forum will chime in and say it doesn't matter. This one is an ounce of prevention mindset for me.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I replaced the fluid in my '06 back in 2009 at 46k miles. I bought new washers (and a new washer/drain plug for the differential) to change the fluids in both Real Soon, now that it's nearing 100k miles.

When I did it the first time, I'm pretty sure I reused the crush washer, but it was only 3 years old at the time. I bought a new crush washer for this change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts