Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read seemingly all of the old posts about the ominous transmission 'clunk.'

Most of these posts are talking about the early models of the car and sometimes automatics.

Anyone have a summary of what's "normal" as to transmission noise on the GXP, and what, if any, fixes have worked for people?

I've only had my 08 manual GXP for a month and I like it more now than the day I bought it, but this disturbing shudder is really ruining an otherwise great experience. I try to drive in away to avoid hearing it but in traffic or areas with lots of stop signs that's not possible.

I get a slight drivetrain shudder accompanied by a clunking/clicking sound that seems to be coming from the transaxle behind me whenever I depress the clutch at low speed. I'm assuming that's the "clunk" others have previously discussed.

I'm still under warranty but want to avoid going the the dealer and being told that what I got is 'normal.' :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've an 08 GXP, from my experience the shudder comment doesn't sound normal.

About the only time I hear drive train problems is when pulling into the garage. I have to go forward/back several times to walk the car over to the far right (small two car single door garage) and I do occasionally hear the drive shaft u-joints clank a little bit depending upon how I engage/disengage the clutch. Doesn't always clank.

During normal open road driving I never hear anything top up or down. I've only experienced shutter under a couple conditions 1) when taking to long to roll off the clutch from a dead stop at too low an rpm (driver error) and 2) when accelerating very hard and fast through the middle of sweeper corner I can occasionally feel what must be differential slip (sensation felt via seat of the pants feels like a small shudder affect).

I do have to admit that the tranny in these cars is junk compared to most every other manual I've owned over the decades. Shifting from first to second without feeling any kind of mini-momentary-grind feel feedback from the synchronizers is almost impossible, sometimes I get negative feedback from the synchronizers going from second to third as well. In cars past gear shifting was always smooth unless I did something stupid and didn't have the clutch depressed etc...

Still fun as he!! to drive...enjoy and good luck.

I'd suggest taking it back to the mothership (Pontiac) and let them evaluate it. Most of our Pontiac dealers are still here some have changed the name to protect the innocent.

·
Super Moderator
16,268 Posts
A GXP with a clunk is not normal in my experience. The rear end clunk was an artifact of early model NAs to the best of my knowledge.

My 07 has zero drive line slop. Never clunked.

Unless you have a problem with the rearend, check the U joints and the CV joints in the half shafts.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. I definitely have a clunk when I start off in 1st (unless I'm VERY gentle). I've always assumed it was soft transmission mounts/bushings and was normal (I have no other issues at speeds above 10mph).

I hate it too and if others say they don't have this, I need to do more investigating.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have an appointment to have local dealer check this out on Monday. Will post results.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had car at dealer yesterday (made sure I personally talked to the mechanic about how to lift car and not to shut hood with doors open - and no damage done).

I drove him around and getting it to clunk is easy. It does it every time at very slow speed. Wen engaging the clutch you can hear the clunk and a slight shudder. I don't get it at any other time or at least I can't hear it at speed.

Basically told it was normal for a whole bunch of GM vehicles. They gave me a print out from GM which is basically what was previously posted on this forum except under the Revision heading it now says "applies to various model 2010 and earlier ..." followed by a long list of car and truck models including Hummer H2/H3s and some Saab models."

Allegedly it does no harm; but it does suck.

The takeaway from this is that if your manual transmission Solstice clunks when engaging the clutch at very slow speeds that's normal, don't waste your time taking it to the dealer.

If anyone has come up with a fix or band aid (different transaxle oil, different clutch ?) by all means post your results

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
About the only time I hear drive train problems is when pulling into the garage. I have to go forward/back several times to walk the car over to the far right (small two car single door garage) and I do occasionally hear the drive shaft u-joints clank a little bit depending upon how I engage/disengage the clutch. Doesn't always clank.

I have the same noise. Figured it was normal.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Allegedly it does no harm; but it does suck.

The takeaway from this is that if your manual transmission Solstice clunks when engaging the clutch at very slow speeds that's normal, don't waste your time taking it to the dealer.

If anyone has come up with a fix or band aid (different transaxle oil, different clutch ?) by all means post your results

Thanks.

Yeah its normal mines always done it at slow speeds..i took it in when it was new and they said thats normal..

It is a truck transmission you know... Just a little drive line lash.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This may be painfully obvious, though it wasn't to me until just recently: You can avoid hearing the clunk at low speeds by just depressing the clutch gently. Seems it's the abruptness of the clutch disengaging that makes the gears knock together.
:cheers:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting this. Neat to see what's going on and I can hear this sound occasionally but this isn't the dreaded clunk. The clunk I was concerned about is more of a CLUNK-Clunk-clunk sound. Drive very slow and push the clutch in rapidly and you may be able to hear it.

Again, thanks for this vid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as the driveline noise , my 08GXP has always had this noise when letting out on the clutch at low or lower than should be used clutch actuations..I would consider it a driveline rattle and would also consider it normal with the torque tube(sorta) design they use. the Miata's do the same thing with a almost exact design.

The slight gear change resistance upon shifting can be nearly eliminated with the use of a good synthetic gear lube and a tube of BG MGC gear case additive. I have had terrible second gear synchro grind from day one with my GXP and not until I installed the MGC did it go away. You can find this stuff at Bgfindashop.com,,,,Jim

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I find it amazing that we have cars built in 2009 and later and they have "clunks" as being normal. I do not understand this. I owned several Studebakers, Hawk, Avanti and their manual transmissions had no clunks. The transmissions were Borg-Warner (T-10, I think), the same used on Corvettes and I only remember the sounds from the clutch and the shifting linkage. Unless you had bad U-joints that needed replacing. Do any of you old timers like me remember this, or am I just remembering what I want to remember?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find it amazing that we have cars built in 2009 and later and they have "clunks" as being normal. I do not understand this. I owned several Studebakers, Hawk, Avanti and their manual transmissions had no clunks. The transmissions were Borg-Warner (T-10, I think), the same used on Corvettes and I only remember the sounds from the clutch and the shifting linkage. Unless you had bad U-joints that needed replacing. Do any of you old timers like me remember this, or am I just remembering what I want to remember?
It is mainly because you have a independent suspension hooked to a rubber mounted differential tied to the transmission by a piece of strap metal mainly. The noises are not from the transmission itself. It comes from the entire driveline, as in driveshaft rearend and mounting torque strap all vibrationg at low rpm clutch actuations. The only way to improve the design is to go to a completely rigid torque tube design attaching the differential to the transmission as in the Porsch 944 design sorta. Once this vibration starts, even the exhaust system starts vibrating...normal considering the design...still sucks though...Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 08 auto trans GXP has a harsh clunk when the trans is downshifting into first .. It only has 12 k on it , A little concerned about the tranny. Anyone have this issue with an automatic tranny ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts