Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am seeing some good deals out there right now. I really want a manual GXP, but I am being enticed by some low mileage manual GXPs.

Someone give me a breakdown of the cons to an auto, besides the fun factor.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
There are several auto or manual type threads that have been discussed over the years, these are a few of them.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/performance-gxp-manual-vs-automatic-39917/

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/manual-automatic-whos-faster-9114/

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/2008-gxp-manual-equal-automatic-0-60-times-38071/

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/manual-vs-automatic-35415/

The auto to manual mix was approximately 2 to 1, so the manuals are rarer. Manuals are also disappearing from auto companies because of technology and less demand. The bottom line is that people who enjoy shifting (for whatever reason) tend to choose manuals, and those who do not (again, for whatever reason) choose an auto.

We have both, but I do enjoy the manual better. However, it's a pleasure car and I'm not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic everyday, and have no physical disability that would make shifting difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Ditto as Chop Top said. I have one of each as well.

·
Administrator
9,697 Posts
I think that a manual is better suited for spirited driving on twisty roads due to the capability it provides to control gear selection.
Beyond that, any lack of a "fun factor" is going to depend on whether you think shifting gears is fun.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Both do the job. Basic positives and negatives apply for each. Beyond that...

The auto is known for some issues. Find the transmission suckage thread. It is also not rated for overly high hp applications (eg, over 400 whp).

Clutch upgrades for high hp applications leave a lot to be desired with most brands, over and over again. To the point some >400 whp members here report interest in reverting back to the original GXP clutch.

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
My first Solstice was a stick. Now I have two and both are automatics. I will never go back!!!

Reactions: Hurricane87

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
If they had done what the Mazdas did, having a sequential shift option by just tapping the lever and set up so that no automatic shifts happen (essentially a clutchless manual) that would have made it a closer choice. I'm manual all the way though.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP
258 Posts
I did not even consider an auto when I bought my Solstice 4 yrs ago. Now I am swapping to an auto. No more banging through a notchy gearbox and twiddling my thumbs waiting on turbo spool for me.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
For the average driver either works well. Both ours are manual and we like them very much. If you have physical issues or driving conditions that make driving a manual unpleasant an auto is great. For straight ahead acceleration, generally the auto is quicker. For us, the ability to better control what the car is doing is important. It's not for everyone

And there is transmission succage which caused a lot of people problems before we figured it out

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is no way you should get an auto !

I have a standard and it is so much fun and I want to be the one in charge of gear switching over some electronic switch that was set by a bunch of no fun safety engineers that probably drive prius's today.

I even use my suv as a standard as much as possible by downshifting instead of braking when possible and taking it down a lower gear when ace;erating sometimes(it's a v-6; so it's a little slow)

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
To each their own. Only about 25% of the buyers new wanted standard transmissions. That is why they are harder to find. I had a standard transmission and now have two automatics. I would never go back to a standard transmission. The automatics as Rob stated are faster and you don't have to have that sloppy shifting or rolling backwards at a hill stop. I can eat an ice cream or talk on my walkie talkie and continue handling on curves, etc. Buy whatever you like and enjoy.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Only problem with the automatics is that when you are all hung out in a corner they shift (assuming that they aren't capable of full manual gear selection) and you can bugger off into the scenery backwards. Other than that.....

I agree that they are a heck of a lot nicer if you have to drive in bumper to bumper traffic, though.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Only problem with the automatics is that when you are all hung out in a corner they shift (assuming that they aren't capable of full manual gear selection) and you can bugger off into the scenery backwards. Other than that.....

I agree that they are a heck of a lot nicer if you have to drive in bumper to bumper traffic, though.
If you are that far hung out in a corner, on a public road, with other cars around, you are driving way too far out. Save it for the race track.

Buggering off into the scenery backwards is way, way overrated in the first place . . . Just saying.

BTW, it much more fun to do on a seized two-stroke two-wheeler.

:rofl:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I never realized the Solstice was offered as a coupe for the 2009 model year until I encountered one on the road back in 2013. Once I saw it I had to have one since they remind me of the Ford Cobra Daytona Coupe. I work for Ford in one of their assembly plants as a department Area Manager and am an avid sports car racing fan!

I started researching these vehicles to purchase one and could only find automatic GXP coupes. I am sorry but I don't believe a sports car should be outfitted with an automatic transmission ever IMHO.

I finally found a manual GXP coupe down in Florida with 9,000 miles and ended up buying it in April 2013. Right away I became a forum member. I have learned so much about our Kappas through the forum.I now treasure having it and drive it during the spring, summer, and fall months up in northern Ohio. I am up to 23,000 miles. I upgrade a few things on it every year.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
... you don't have to have that sloppy shifting or rolling backwards at a hill stop.
Aggh. Press my buttons why don't ya?

I can never understand the sloppy-ass driver training and ridiculously simple driving test here in the US. In the UK, the tester will find a steep hill and have the testee come to a stop and then start again on it. If they roll back, even an inch... automatic test fail.

I've taught all my kids and several of my daughters boyfriends how to do a correct hill start.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I raced manual transmission vintage cars for 18 years. Between 750,000 and 900,000 shifts, in every imaginable condition. Lots of FUN, and I got really good at it. And now, I hope to never use a clutch again. A personal choice. Anyone who enjoys shifting should definately go manual, just for fun. But there is nothing inherently better, or special about shifting. It is just an alternate, and more difficult way to drive. And for most drivers it is an obsolete system. There is no rational reason to do driving tests in a manual transmission car. It's yesterday's technology.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I have two sticks and an auto. Prefer the auto anytime anyplace for any reason. This car has what is called an I gear, it works quite well in the twisties as long as you shift it to 4th when needed

Antique sports cars have sticks with clutches, only in the United States can you buy a manual transmission, IE, Corvette, top of the line Camaro and Charger and Challenger I believe.

Porsche, Ferrari, Bugatti, Mercedes, BMW sports cars all have automatic transmissions in their top of the line sports cars, at least that is what I have read, never driven any of them. Paddle shifters are not standard transmissions. No clutch.

Off Road, Drag racing, Indy, Formula One all run versions of automatic, paddle shifted vehicles. I think NASCAR still has manual transmissions. I would not call them sports cars though.

I can understand the enjoyment of the stick vehicle, but you need to enjoy it while you have it, because it is not a dying breed, it is nearly a dead breed.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Actually skersfan, the top line paddle-shift gearboxes you mentioned are manual transmissions that are electronically shifted automatically (or manually via the paddles). They have have standard gear sets, not planetary gears. And 2 clutches with no torque converter. So when they come to a stop, both clutches must be electronically disengaged. They were developed as a superior alternative to either manual or automatic transmissions for racing, and were adapted for street cars by adding the automatic shifting functions.
As far as manual transmissions being dead, only here in North America. Manual transmission versions are frequently not brought in here due to the fascination with automatics (and now the double clutch versions) but still sell very very well just about everywhere else in the world.
To each their own...

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Congratulations to everyone for keeping the auto vs manual debate alive for 10 plus years! :party:

More random auto and manual info.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/manual-users-downshift-brake-when-slowing-down-116778/

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/owners-manual-double-clutch-reverse-125513/

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/automatic-tran-users-d-4-a-59544/index2.html

Post #31
From Pontiac Magazine; WELCOME EDITION/Solstice/Pontiac Performance/Front cover: Rear view pic Mean GXP (matching yellow license plate TRC 432)
INSIDE: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER -LEARN ABOUT YOUR SOLSTICE

Pg 8
Q: My Solstice has a 5-speed automatic transmission with shift indicators of PRNDIL. When do I shift into 4, I or L?

A: The D position (overdrive gear) is used for most normal driving situations. It allows the transmission to shift into fifth gear, which provides the fuel-economy* advantage. The fourth postion (4) prevents the transmission from going into fifth gear. It's used for driving around town when you don't need overdrive.

The I position prevents the vehicle from shifting past third gear and should be used when driving on hilly or winding roads.

The L position prevents the transmission from shifting past second gear. It should be used only at extremely low speeds, such as in parking lots or when driving through mud or deep snow.

*EPA estimated mpg 19 city/27 hwy (Solstice GXP with auto); 19 city/24 hwy (Solstice with auto.).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts