Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I recently purchased a 2008 solstice gxp (it is a manual) everything was going well, until the check engine light came on, got it checked it was for the MAP sensor, the next day when I started the car, the light was gone. The check engine light has been coming on periodically, I let the car warm up before shifting more aggressively, but after some faster acceleration it will come on, and then be gone the next day.

2. I took it in for emissions (when the light was not there) and they told me the car was “not ready” and do run it though a drive cycle. I did all of the things required for that and took it back, and got the same results, “not ready”

3. would the MAP sensor prevent the car from being ready? I’ve put over 1,000 miles on the car since I have bought it, I have done everything that GM says to do. I need to get it registered soon and I have never had this issue before, I have a g6 and it passes emissions with ease.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
you need to get a code reader to read the codes. ( or go to autozone as they read it for free )

also, when I had something replaced, it took me over 300 miles before the 'not ready' was gone.
After that , I passed the tests in NJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you need to get a code reader to read the codes. ( or go to autozone as they read it for free )

also, when I had something replaced, it took me over 300 miles before the 'not ready' was gone.
After that , I passed the tests in NJ
The code it’s giving is a P0106
MAP/ Barometric circuit range/ Performance problem

·
Administrator
9,464 Posts
1. I recently purchased a 2008 solstice gxp (it is a manual) everything was going well, until the check engine light came on, got it checked it was for the MAP sensor, the next day when I started the car, the light was gone. The check engine light has been coming on periodically, I let the car warm up before shifting more aggressively, but after some faster acceleration it will come on, and then be gone the next day.

2. I took it in for emissions (when the light was not there) and they told me the car was “not ready” and do run it though a drive cycle. I did all of the things required for that and took it back, and got the same results, “not ready”

3. would the MAP sensor prevent the car from being ready? I’ve put over 1,000 miles on the car since I have bought it, I have done everything that GM says to do. I need to get it registered soon and I have never had this issue before, I have a g6 and it passes emissions with ease.
The code it’s giving is a P0106
MAP/ Barometric circuit range/ Performance problem
P0106 indicates that the MAP sensor signal is outside of the min/max range for a period of time while the engine is running. This suggests either a bad sensor, or a wiring problem that is causing an open or short circuit. Since the light is going on and off, it is an intermittent problem and that usually, but not always, leans more toward wiring.

It is likely that each time the signal goes out of range it resets the clock for the "emissions ready" signal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P0106 indicates that the MAP sensor signal is outside of the min/max range for a period of time while the engine is running. This suggests either a bad sensor, or a wiring problem that is causing an open or short circuit. Since the light is going on and off, it is an intermittent problem and that usually, but not always, leans more toward wiring.

It is likely that each time the signal goes out of range it resets the clock for the "emissions ready" signal.
Would the MAP sensor cause the turbo to stop? As I was driving it today, it was working fine, then when I started it again it lost a bunch of power, the “boost” display would usually go up to 20-25 psi, now it won’t go over 6, when I press the gas it sounds like air is blowing, it won’t accelerate like normal and can’t go over 80 mph now

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,509 Posts
In addition to the wiring suggestion above, I just had something happen to me yesterday where the turbo would just “stop” at 4-5 PSI and then come back after stopping and accelerating from zero. Highly unlikely but free to check. There is an electrical connection at the front of the turbo right underneath the curved aluminum intake arm on top.
My connector had come partially loose and the push in spring on it had fallen out of its hole. I pulled it out, reset the little spring arm and reset it back, no more problems…worth checking.
In my case there were no codes and it just felt like the wastegate had opened prematurely.

-Check all your IC tubing fittings for tightness.
-Check for cracks or tears. This may include the IC itself which is a bit more work as the nose cone should come off so you can inspect the IC for “bulges” or cracks/holes. Check the underside of the IC (if stock) as there are two rubber hoses that run along the bottom and are the most exposed to getting hit on a curb strike.
-Clean the sensors. Pick up some genuine maf cleaner. Certainly won’t hurt.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would the MAP sensor cause the turbo to stop? As I was driving it today, it was working fine, then when I started it again it lost a bunch of power, the “boost” display would usually go up to 20-25 psi, now it won’t go over 6, when I press the gas it sounds like air is blowing, it won’t accelerate like normal and can’t go over 80 mph now
Sounds like a turbo hose came off. Check all your clamps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts