Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

MAP Sensor Issue

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  The_Ghost 
#1 ·
My first question to the group. Bought a 2008 GPX, automatic. Guy I bought it from gave me a free new MAP sensor (yup, should have been a red flag). Drove it home that night, no problems. Next day, engine light came on. Code is:
P0106 - Manifold absolute pressure / barometric pressure circuit range / performance problem
Guy I bought it from said he had that happen once, bought a new MAP sensor but before he got it in the mail, read on a forum that just need to spray the MAP sensor with cleaner. He said that took care of it.
I replaced the MAP sensor with the new one. Turbo would not engage. Went in a store, came out and drove home with everything working properly. Next drive, engine light came on. Same code. I replaced back to the original after sparying it with MAP sensor cleaner.
Has happened 3 or 4 times now, last two times, I just disconnect the plug to the MAP sensor, spray connector (male and female connectors) with contact cleaner, reset the light and I'm good for a day or two. Even when engine light is on, engine runs smooth.
Ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts? (and yes, I called the guy and he is playing dumb (I'm not pursuing him any more)).

#4 ·
you are correct. It is the MAF sensor I am talking about.
The error code:
P0106 - Manifold absolute pressure / barometric pressure circuit range / performance problem
would this have to do with the MAF sensor or one of the MAP sensors?
Welcome to the forum.

The P0106 error is a MAP sensor problem, and not a MAF sensor problem.

To really diagnose this you need a scanner so that you can read the sensors.
Absent that there are a few things you can check:
  1. Check the outside of the ECM for contamination. there is a port in the ECM housing for an internal pressure sensor and if that gets blocked you can get incorrect barometric pressure readings
  2. Check all of the hoses between the turbo and the throttle body (intercooler, etc) for loose clamps or leaks. Spraying a soap solution on the joints can help.
The MAP sensors (there are two) could be bad. there could be a wiring problem or a loose connector to one of them.

The remaining checks are electrical.

Reactions: easyryderca
#5 ·
Reactions: easyryderca
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.