Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MariSOL died 02/25/2013. Even more tragic, my auto mechanic died 03/04/2013 of health issues. I had a low-speed accident, completely my fault. Making a left turn, thought the two oncoming lanes were clear, but there was a small car I didn't see because of an oncoming big-ass pickup in the left turn lane blocking my view.

Liberty Mutual said it would cost too much to fix her, over $9,000. I looked at Kelly Bluebook figures, about $7,000 in excellent condition, MariSOL was more like fair, which was about $6,000. I was hoping for $9,000. Liberty gave me $12,670 before the deductible, which was 50% of her original list price with the few options I ordered.

The other driver was a young college student. I knew her when she worked for one of my clients last summer. Her car didn't come out very well either:

So, I guess it's time for me to grow up and buy a mature car:

Maybe if I behave myself for a few months, I can reward myself with a 2014 Corvette Convertible!

Or maybe not.

Why won't Dodge make that gorgeous Demon concept car from a few years ago?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
What a shame! She had a good life, Gizmo :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Giz....so sad to hear about your loss. It might not be time to move on just yet....there are still lots of garage queens available out there that you could pick up for a reasonable price :driving:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bummer .... but trust me, I'm probably older and wiser ....IF you loved it that much, get another, even if it's a garage queen..... you might regret it later. I gave up my Fiero GT years back .... and regretted it ever since, so that's why I have a Solstice now ......
I know you had no choice in your loss, just sayin ......

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Just glad you're okay and nobody was hurt.

What's the "grow up" concept of which you speak?

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of kind words here, thank you.

MariSOL had 118,000 smiles on her, she was a real trooper, put up with everything I did to her and begged for more.

As many of you said,

MariSOL: Rest In Peace.

·
Registered
311 Posts
$7000 wow i thought our cars were worth more than that...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello Gizmo....i am sorry to hear about your Sol, you had PM me back in Nov 2007 asking me info up here in Portsmouth New Hampshire and i hope everything went well for you back then with the the situation you were trying to resolve. I know how i would feel if it were me but glad that your ok. Take care my friend and may Marisol RIP.:( Bob D.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I am also taking a hard look at a 2014 vette, but a coupe.
You had a few aftermarket options on her, you may want to offer those for sale to the community.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$7000 wow i thought our cars were worth more than that...
Well, that's just Kelley's Bluebook value. What do they know about cars like this? They think it's just another block of iron with four wheels.

Lucky for me, Liberty Mutual did their research and found that the car was worth $12,600 + .

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Gizmo....i am sorry to hear about your Sol, you had PM me back in Nov 2007 asking me info up here in Portsmouth New Hampshire and i hope everything went well for you back then with the the situation you were trying to resolve. I know how i would feel if it were me but glad that your ok. Take care my friend and may Marisol RIP.:( Bob D.
What a great memory, Bob. Yes, I had applied for a Resident Visa for my new wife, which is processed there in Portsmouth. She finally got her appointment 04/14/2008 and arrived in this country 04/25/2008.

Things should start warming up for you there in NH so you can get out in your beautiful GXP. Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear about your accident. I am also taking a hard look at a 2014 vette, but a coupe.
You had a few aftermarket options on her, you may want to offer those for sale to the community.
Good luck with what ever you decide.
Hey, LV, you always did have good taste in automobiles. So glad they brought back the Sting Ray label.

I was going to remove those stabilizers (?) that I recently got installed, but thought about it too late. She's at Copart now and they won't let anyone underneath the car, we'd have to take her off the lot, then jack her up, nah, too much trouble. The CAI would have been easy to remove, but the other stuff was used and abused, not worth it.

But I did find a buyer for the Hi Flow that I never could install since I had long tube exhaust headers.

Love to see photos if you get that Sting Ray.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And a special thanks to those 24 (so far) that have sent emails directly to me expressing their condolences. Even got one from SolsticeMan himself, the old Moderator In Chief of the Solstice Forum.

I joined this forum in March 2005, my first forum. I've met literally hundreds of the members at various meets, not just in Texas, but in Nevada, California, Canada, South Dakota, Florida, and of course Kansas City and Nashville. You are all such special people, I think that was a pre-requisite before you were allowed to purchase a Pontiac Solstice (or Saturn Sky or Opel GT).

You have been an important part of my life for the past 8 years and I thank you, one and all.

I guess it's time for one of my coveted Seven Awards:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

SGhS (Seven GroupHug Salute)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
So sad. I don't like it, but I know you will pick yourself up and dust yourself off. I respect your honesty too. I want you to get another one.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
awwwwwww so sorry giz !!!!!!

dayum shame ! so sorry - i guess important part is YOU were'nt totalled............. i hate these sad posts.........:grouphug:

·
Registered
140 Posts
What a great memory, Bob. Yes, I had applied for a Resident Visa for my new wife, which is processed there in Portsmouth. She finally got her appointment 04/14/2008 and arrived in this country 04/25/2008.

Things should start warming up for you there in NH so you can get out in your beautiful GXP. Enjoy!

Glad to see it worked out well back in 07and 08 for you. I hope you do not mind but i also posted a link to this thread on the Solstice owners and admires page on Facebook with a comment from myself http://www.facebook.com/groups/2207259141/10151355082589142/?notif_t=group_comment It really is a shame that it happened. I looked at your Dodge Demon concept and agree with you on that:cool: Take care again and stay with the forum , you never know , like some have said there are garage queens out there ...... I own one:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Glad you're OK...sorry about the car...The insurance did the same with Debbie's 06 with the side impact....totaled. There's a nice white 07 with under 10k for $15k in Houston...don't give up on the Sol yet...but the vette would be VERY COOL.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts