Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A NAIAS recap...

Unjustly underappreciated car

Pontiac Solstice: A beautiful and sporty little convertible that will sell for less than $20,000 when it goes on sale this fall. The Solstice would be the runaway hit at most shows, but it's gotten far too little attention at this one because Pontiac revealed it to us last year and has now moved on to promoting its midsize G6 sedan, coupe and convertible.
Link Here

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't imagine that the car would've been neglected had GM promoted the car with new information released. I'm wondering if it's GM's intent to create a sort of 'mystique' about the car. Amazing that it was last year's darling and this year's 'also ran'.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm wondering if it's GM's intent to create a sort of 'mystique' about the car
Keep hoping GM remembers how Nissan and Toyota had simultaneous introductions of their new luxury brands (Infinity and Lexus) and Infinity's was such a flop with their "mystique" ad campaign! GM, GIVE US SOME NEWS!!!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I guarantee if they just operated the top once or twice a day - they would have gotten some attention...

...I don't know if it would have been good or bad attention...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
I guarantee if they just operated the top once or twice a day - they would have gotten some attention...

...I don't know if it would have been good or bad attention...
Maybe they know it would have gotten some attention, and they figured they were better off with no attention than the attention operating the top would generate! :crazy

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
They could have gotten a lot of attention by just letting people sit in it!! I agree, the way it is now, it appears that GM has lost interest in the car themselves! It's like they can't figure out the top problem, so they lost interest in the project and all it's head aches, and moved on to something else. I'm sure this is not so, but that's how it seems.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I think its got a lot of attention in this forum, improves my chance of getting one without the long wait. Sometimes lying low has it's advantages

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Well.. at least at NAIAS the Solstice is the only Pontiac up on a display stand with an actor talking about the car. So, they are promoting it over their other cars. However.. without letting anyone INTO the car, I think they have created problems.

I was back at NAIAS yesterday and talked with the "actor" a bit. He didn't seem to know much, but when I showed him the picture of the truck he just said, "well, this car is all about driving, not about putting stuff in the trunk".

I asked if it was a production version, of course the answer was "yes". I asked if he had any idea on why it was the only production car that we we are not allowed to really look at.. he said "it's on display".

I know he was an actor, not a GM employee... but come on GM (Pontiac) let the folks sit in the car and create the buzz for you.

One good thing I did see.. the Solstice had 10x the crowd the Sky did when ever I was back in that corner.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GM...some people need to sit in it to test for fit before they order one...Feb 28th is coming quickly...let us in :devil

·
Registered
163 Posts
The LA auto show on speed last week only slightly mentioned the Solstice for about 5 seconds - No details at all :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AJC said:
The LA auto show on speed last week only slightly mentioned the Solstice for about 5 seconds - No details at all :rolleyes
And thier second LA auto show episode didn't mention or show the Solstice or Sky. :mad

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
What pisses me off is I watched MotorTrend I believe last night (was a recording from earlier this week on my DVR), and they showed the LA Auto show. They showed every car Pontiac had at the shoe EXCEPT the Solstice. Made me wonder what the hell was up with that.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It would be out of the ordinary for GM to allow people to sit in and crawl all over a pre-production car at an autoshow when the final production car is not even on the market yet. Until production versions are for sale, nobody will be sitting in them at shows.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Fformula88 said:
It would be out of the ordinary for GM to allow people to sit in and crawl all over a pre-production car at an autoshow when the final production car is not even on the market yet. Until production versions are for sale, nobody will be sitting in them at shows.

Man, what a buzzkill. :nonod :(

Thanks, FF88. :leaving

:jester

·
Registered
163 Posts
mceb said:
GM...some people need to sit in it to test for fit before they order one...Feb 28th is coming quickly...let us in :devil
I agree! :agree

I pre-orded a new 2004 Mazda RX-8 and waited 6 months for the car. When my RX-8 came in I went to the dealer and test drove it, got out of the car and said "give me my deposit back" Don't get me wrong, it was a very nice car but I just did not like the feel of the car. I will never pre-order a new car without driving the car first and waiting at least 6 months for some reports on the car.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AJC said:
I agree! :agree

I pre-orded a new 2004 Mazda RX-8 and waited 6 months for the car. When my RX-8 came in I went to the dealer and test drove it, got out of the car and said "give me my deposit back" Don't get me wrong, it was a very nice car but I just did not like the feel of the car. I will never pre-order a new car without driving the car first and waiting at least 6 months for some reports on the car.
I would assume you could do the same on any car (walk off after an order). Dealer would have no trouble selling it. I have no doubt I'll fit in Sol and the magazines will be all over it for test drives so I'm taking my chances.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts