Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article on auto show. Discusses both Sky and Solstice. The "fall" release date is the old date ;)

Performance at all price levels link

Saturn Sky
What is it? Rear-wheel-drive two-seat roadster.

Engine: 170-horsepower 2.4-liter 16-valve DOHC four-cylinder. Five-speed manual or five-speed automatic.

What's important: A more luxurious sibling of the Pontiac Solstice roadster, the Sky embodies Saturn's ambition to draw car lovers to its dealerships.

Mark's take: The sporty Sky roadster is by far the most appealing Saturn ever. Expect its interior and handling to go after European roadsters costing more than the Sky's sub-$25,000 price.

On sale: Early 2006.
Pontiac Solstice
What is it? Two-seat rear-wheel-drive roadster.

Engine: 145-horsepower 2.4-liter dual overhead cam 16-valve four-cylinder. Five-speed manual.

What's important: One of the most eagerly awaited cars to go on sale this year, the Solstice's classic proportions and performance-oriented drivetrain place it in the tradition of beloved convertibles like the Mazda Miata and the Triumph Spitfire.

Mark's take: Car-lovers are salivating over the Solstice, which could return the thrill to visiting a Pontiac dealership.

On sale: Fall.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Someone needs to give them a swift kick. 170HP not 145HP.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Will always remember that R&D roadtest of a Spitfire with a picture of the inside rear wheel 2" off the ground! Only time I ever wanted a Spitfire was after seeing one where the owner had yanked the stock iron engine (was it even 60 HP?) and dropped in a rotary from a RX7. Sweet!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Nice write-up. As for the HP error, I have seen numerous errors recently in a number of sources. USA Today reported the Sky was getting 140 or 145 too! Something must have gone out with erroneous information, and everyone has latched onto it without questioning it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Nice write-up. As for the HP error, I have seen numerous errors recently in a number of sources. USA Today reported the Sky was getting 140 or 145 too! Something must have gone out with erroneous information, and everyone has latched onto it without questioning it.
Stupid press people are going to give the Sky/Solstice bad press cause they're giving wrong #'s. People are going to be like "it wieghs more then a Miata but with the same power, why would I want that?"

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I remember the 140 HP spec too, it was in the intial press release for the Sky. Here is the link on this site.http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909&page=1 It is misleading. It states 145hp @ 2400 rpm, which may very well be correct, and further down that spec sheet they give the 170hp at the correct rpm. Problem is, most of the time we only get one hp rating, and the 145 came first, so people thought that was it without looking further or thinking about the 2400 rpms. I think I know why they gave this spec. If I recall correctly the Miata peak hp is 145, so what they are saying is the Sky will develop the same as the Miata at only about 1/3 throttle! Nice. :D

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Will always remember that R&D roadtest of a Spitfire with a picture of the inside rear wheel 2" off the ground! Only time I ever wanted a Spitfire was after seeing one where the owner had yanked the stock iron engine (was it even 60 HP?) and dropped in a rotary from a RX7. Sweet!
Dave, I had a '79 Spitfire w/removeable hardtop - it was a gorgeous car that did have similar curves and body lines to the Solstice. However, it was a mechanical disaster (mostly because of the engine electronics). I can totally understand why someone would replace the engine! :thumbs

Found a few pics on the web of a '77 & '80 (mine was blue):

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
This HP reporting issue is a problem. A bunch of people on the local Buffal enthusiasts forum were trashing the Sky for its low HP yesterday, until I corrected them on the amount. They still wanted more, but they all agreed 170 was more reasonable!

The press is just terrible with getting the facts straight!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey, the Spitfire is much loved! It won me a national championship in 04!

http://gordon.smugmug.com/gallery/256719/12/10078025

:thumbs

Horsepower was about 75 in their best years. Mine is making 110 (mid 80s at the wheels) with a modified 1296cc engine. It weighs 1550 lbs with me in it (195 lbs). Quite a handler.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I always liked those lil Spitfires but my real lust was for the Triumph Stag. Spitfires were wonderful little cars to drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which do you think will cost more the saturn or the poncho!!! which will get the most after market speed goodies? My bets on the poncho for speed goodies!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Hey, the Spitfire is much loved! It won me a national championship in 04!
Sorry, Didn't mean to imply I thought the Spitfire was a bad car, just that as factory stock it, there were faster cars. Your right, with it's feather weight and independent rear end, it had great potential. But for me, personally, it's worst problem was it was British! Had a friend in the group of canyon racers I hung around with in the mid seventies with a new TR6. At just 1,200 miles he needed a new transmission. Imagine his surprise when he dropped by to to see how his warrenty work was progressing and saw the entire interior dismantled so they could lift the transmission up through the floor! I think, as far as engineering goes, the British live so far outside the box, they refuse to accept that it exists! :jester

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ha, no offense taken, they were junk from the factory. The transmission tunnel was made from cardboad! The amazing part about the Spitfire is that the front suspension is so geometrically correct that it seems like they designed it to be lowered and raced. I consider the TR6 to be a much nicer car, though I don't fit in a TR6 as well as a Spit (the frame on the TR6 raises the seating position).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes, first race for me is March 26-27 at Road Atlanta (if the car is finished).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts