Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, well soon ill be chaning my engine oil. i have read that MMO should be good to put into the engine. In our cars it would have to be 4 guarts of oil you use and the other quart of MMO.
My question is has anyone ever used this stuff in there engine? if so any outputs?
would it be a good idea to add some to the engine?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The GXP runs just fine with a good synth oil.
Don't see a need to experiment with magical mystery additives.

:jm2c:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
4 and 1/2 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil will be fine with out the help of any mysterious substance.... :jm2c:

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I'd be apprehensive about adding it also. Haven't tried it. Wouldn't use it in my own.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I dont know if you have the GXP or not, or if having a turbo even makes a difference, but I did use MMO in my 97 corolla (230k miles and driving great) until i traded it in...used it a few times in place of a quart of oil, and also used it like a gas additive...it seemed to keep my corolla maintenance free, but like i said, i have no idea about on these cars...seems like people are giving you good advice about mobile 1!

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil is the best thing available for the dashpots of SU carburetters. And it is handy for light lubrication of throttle linkages and cables. It does not belong in your crankcase or your fuel tank.

Stick with the recommendations of the people who designed and built your engine.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Don't need it with todays oils. 20 years ago, not a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I use MOBIL 1 only and Every once in a while I substitute a quart for a quart of LUCAS OIL ADDITIVE.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In the 1960's when many people used non-detergent oil sludging was very common. Marvel Mystery Oil was a good product to flush crankcases. I use Mobil 1 and am hard-pressed to believe sludging is a problem today with proper change intervals.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I own a GXP.
The reason why i would use MMO. as per keeping the engine running longer and in good shape. for as long as i can. But since its the fist time i would be using it. Dont want nothing bad going on with the engine or anything. Heres a vid the first part talks about adding it to gas. The second about adding to engine.
I did start to use it in the fuel. For the reason my car at times when idles feel like it wants to shut down.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I have an uncle on my wife's side that recently mentioned MMO, but that was for freeing up a seized engine on a 1930 Ford or something. Said he poured it into each cylinder and let it set for several days. Eventually was able to break things free.

We use it in our tool room and I see it at tool and die shops all the time, BUT it is used as JR stated above - lubrication. I know the manufacturer will claim it does everything from increasing your mileage to improving your sex life, but my two cents would be to stick with the Mobil 1. I'd just be leery of it's impact on the viscosity of the oil. Again, just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Between modern conventional and (especially) synthetic oils and top-tier gasolines, I don't see much of any reason for any additives. With all of the sensors and closed-loop controls in modern engines, I see a number of reasons to stay away from them.

If you have a '30s or '60s vintage vehicle there may be some need. With modern vehicles and modern fluids there is no such need.

Paraphrasing miller: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I know lots of people who swear by MMO and have used it for decades. Then again, they are all into maintenance so is it the MMO or just keeping ahead of service intervals that's responsible for their success?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I know lots of people who swear by MMO and have used it for decades. Then again, they are all into maintenance so is it the MMO or just keeping ahead of service intervals that's responsible for their success?
Or...is it just a mystery? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
njtex : I know lots of people who swear by MMO and have used it for decades. Then again, they are all into maintenance so is it the MMO or just keeping ahead of service intervals that's responsible for their success?
miller11386 : ding ding ding
It may also be that they are successful in spite of what they do.

Let's say that you have a car that you have driven for 230k miles with no engine problems. You have religiously changed the oil at 3k miles and used MMO as a supplement. You are convinced that what you are doing is responsible for your engine's long life.

But, let's also say that I have a nearly identical car for which I have followed a 6k mile oil change interval and used no supplements. And I have also driven for 230k miles with no engine problems.

What does that say about what is necessary or even beneficial ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts