Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last post was about where to go on vacation this year, we made our choice, we are going to do the Lake MI Circle Tour. We are going to leave southern IL May 31 and spend the first night at South Haven MI. The next two night we are going to stay at Traverse City. Then work our way around the lake till we get to Manitowoc and then take the car ferry across the lake and work our way back home. Anyone up in that area have any must see it places? We are going to drive the Tunnel of Trees and go to Mackinaw Island other than that we are open for ideas.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
mark - I'll chime in tomorrow. (Red Wings game coming on!) We're near the Lake MI shoreline. Have lots of suggestions for your stretch along the shoreline.

·
Registered
112 Posts
North of Benton Harbor, off 63 take the Blue Star Highway going north. Not much traffic and you can see the lake from a lot of places. Many places to pull over and see the lake and dunes.

Don't know if the Swordfish WWII sub is still in the Muskegon harbor, it was a good tour.

SS City of Milwaukee is still in Manistee, tours will take you from the pilot house down below the car deck.

Lot of nice wineries on the Mission Peninsula north of Traverse City.

Harbor Springs is an interesting little town, visit the downtown shops. It is at the south end of the Tunnel of Trees.

Check your maps and try to stay close to the lake, less traffic and fun roads.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
We have stayed at the Old Harbor Inn in South Haven and had a nice time. Lunch or dinner at Clementine's is a must. Captain Lou's is a pub with a deck right along the Black River in South Haven also.

Village of Saugatuck has a large artist population and is a recommended stop for shopping. Neat place.

South Haven Michigan Travel Guide | Hotels, Restaurants, Beaches, Charter Fishing, Recreation & Summer Rentals @ South Haven, MI 49090

Sleeping Bear Dunes is a recommended stop. Very beautiful. Personally, I would stay in the Glen Arbor area rather than Traverse City. TC has grown so much in the last 20 years it's just not the same place. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very NICE place - just busier than what I care for during my "down time".

Stay | Sleeping Bear Dunes

Glen Lake Chamber of Commerce

The USS Silversides is indeed still open for business in Muskegon.

USS Silversides Submarine Museum | USS Silversides Submarine Museum

There is an alternative to the SS Badger from Manitowac to Ludington. I've taken the Badger (and we've always enjoyed it) but I've not taken the Lake Express.

Lake Express - Lake Michigan's high speed ferry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great info! Will check out every thing you have posted. Staying in TC because of work. GF will have run of the town for two days, I am staying at the Park Place right down town TC.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Mark - worked through the vacation schedule with the "boss" last night. We'll be in South Haven 5/31. Let me know when your ETA is when the date is getting closer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are we still on for the 31st? I think we are going to stay at the "Cabossa Inn" There in South Haven. Looking forward to meeting you on Sunday the 31st.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts