Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been thinking but been too busy building a house for my son to post:
Rickady88GT mentinioned an old hardtop Fairlane with a bathtub looking thing in the center of the trunk that was actually the storage area. Every thing around it was taken up by the folded hard top. What if we are looking at it backwards and THE STORAGE AREA IS THE HUMP and the areas in front and beside and (partially) behind it are reserved for the top? It may not be as bad as first impressions appear!
1. The hump has an unusual shape and location.
2. The top of the hump is perfectly flat and the right shape and size to support the rear glass.
3. It's in the location for where the glass will be when the top is down.
4. If it was a gas tank, it would have fuel and vent lines as well as wires coming out the top yet this top is smooth.
5. The gas tank could be in the area across the car between the hump and rear seats, roughly 6"High x48"Wide x12"Deep (or more)
Or I could be only partially right and the gas tank is the entire lower portion of the wedding cake shaped hump and the additional storage is only the smaller upper oval layer.
The down side to this is to access this area, you would have to lift the folded top and then lift the hump.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I want to believe we're wrong about it being the fuel tank, but at this point I don't think it is.

I really don't think it [the hump] is another storage area. If it was really storage area then why the utterly bizare shape, and the inability to access it? You would think a shelf idea would be better because then you could access it without having to lift it. If it's storage space meant to be accessed from inside the car, then how would you access it? We've seen the trunk release hatch open and it doesn't go down that far or even all the way through. Also for it to be that type of storage space the gas tank would then have to be between the seats and said storage so you wouldn't have access.

If it was storage designed to hold the glass in place you would think the center hump would be a bit bigger to hold a peice of glass on it, also it's a horrible idea to rest a piece of glass on it. If the car bumps anything hard enough your peice of glass is now resting on something fairly hard and will shatter.

I'm still hoping this is some sort of pre-production, GM trying to hide something, etc. However I'm not counting on that hope very much though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i think he meant that it could be the trunk itself. the only thing i see wrong with that is the fact that it appears you couldn't access it with the top down, which i don't see as being a possibility. i was thinking that the "hump" is where the top would end up

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Been thinking but been too busy building a house for my son to post:
Rickady88GT mentinioned an old hardtop Fairlane with a bathtub looking thing in the center of the trunk that was actually the storage area. Every thing around it was taken up by the folded hard top. What if we are looking at it backwards and THE STORAGE AREA IS THE HUMP and the areas in front and beside and (partially) behind it are reserved for the top? It may not be as bad as first impressions appear!
1. The hump has an unusual shape and location.
2. The top of the hump is perfectly flat and the right shape and size to support the rear glass.
3. It's in the location for where the glass will be when the top is down.
4. If it was a gas tank, it would have fuel and vent lines as well as wires coming out the top yet this top is smooth.
5. The gas tank could be in the area across the car between the hump and rear seats, roughly 6"High x48"Wide x12"Deep (or more)
Or I could be only partially right and the gas tank is the entire lower portion of the wedding cake shaped hump and the additional storage is only the smaller upper oval layer.
The down side to this is to access this area, you would have to lift the folded top and then lift the hump.

I like the optimism, but you gotta ask yourself, why would Pontiac put such a big ugly useless box in the middle of a show car trunk that was never ment to be seen by the public? There's no top in there, it doesn't need support, and the deck lid was never to be opened, so why put anything in there? The reason I believe the trunk has been more or less finished on this car is that the interior parts are close to final and each time they build a show car, they use it as an opportunity to validate how the parts fit and function in actual driving. I really don't see any provisions for getting into that thing either. That combined with Solsticeman's argument, leads me to believe the idea is wishful thinking. However, I hope you are right and I am wrong. :cheers

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
solsticeman said:
Once again, the hump is the fuel tank.

'nuff said.
OK BOB............I believe you. :patriot

·
5,600 Posts
We've all seen the detailed cutaway drawing with the ragtop clearly shown stowed. I don't have any reason to doubt the drawing is accurate. so that is how the soft top will fit in the trunk, it will be above the hump, and the trunk is the miniscule cavity rear of the hump below the stowed top.

That is the reality. Now we have to deal with it. This is still going to be a GREAT car and it is dirt cheap considering the looks and performance.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your all probably right but one thing has me puzzled, 15 gallons is just 2 cubic feet and this thing looks like a whole lot more than that. Or another way to look at it 4"x24"x36"=2 cu ft. All glass window convertables have to support that heavy glass or it will rip away from the top if it's left hanging and boucing when folded. And if that funny, two tiered shape wasn't to support the folded rear glass, making the lower rectangle box taller would be more space efficient than adding a squashed cylindar shape to sit on top of it. And, by the way, I have no hopes of trunk access through the waterfall. That path is blocked by the latch.

But if you say it's all gas tank, Bob, my previous concerns about limited range have proved unfounded!

·
Registered
391 Posts
And just what makes you the authority on the trunk solsticeman?
Have you seen the real car?
Have you any proof that is a tank?
I dont think it is the tank. The bathtub behind the seats makes much more sence to me to put the gas tank in. But I am not an expert. I dont know for sure. But I would not say "nuf said" with out the proof. What do you got solsticeman?
I am not being disrespectfull I just dont know how to use the highlight and quote function so I named solsticeman to not confuse anyone.
I believe the hump is a shelf to hold up the plastic or glass rear window, and because of the flexible compostie shell and carpet are great for just that. There is no fear of breaking the window on that soft light storage compartment cover/window shelf. It will be the same stuff used to cover the spare tire in you car trunk, the card board type stuff with carpet glued on one side and fills the great big hole over the spare tire. The only differance is this storage cover is shaped in such a way to provide a shelf for the rear window to reast on when the top is down. And there is no way to get into the storage box from the driver seat. If there was no person on Earth has arms long enough to reach any thing in it. But the pics are clearly showing a VERY small storage glove box between the seats "water fall" that is much like the Fiero's storage box. And in that box is a trunk pull release. Dont plan on this "thing" being in the real cars. It will be in a better place on the real cars.
Like I said before, the top will be easly lifted up part way to access the storage box under the folded top. And the cover will be VERY light so lifting it out is easy. Dont get all caught up in "that is a bad place for a storage box" because it will be that much easier for me to say "that is a bad place to put a gas tank, just look at all the wasted space between the seats under that bathtub"
This is all my opinion and I have no proof or inside informants that I cant quote or they will "loose there job" :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
solsticeman is like Tony Soprano...he's connected, shhhhhh :jester :leaving

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
And just what makes you the authority on the trunk solsticeman?... This is all my opinion and I have no proof or inside informants that I cant quote or they will "loose there job" :rolleyes
I'm not an authority. Never claimed to be - just someone who is good at deduction and happens to maybe have some connections. Maybe I've seen in the trunk, maybe not. Maybe I've even looked underneath and seen the gasoline tank location (like can be seen in the underside pics of the Sky, if you bothered to look), maybe not.

Point is, I don't have to provide proof - you can choose not to accept it. That's your perrogative, but I've showed roughly how a couple of cases "might" fit, pics of the underside of the Sky clearly showing a trapezoidal fuel tank directly above the differential, combined with GA73's pics and my own AutoCad conclusions based on information that is available to anyone else on the internet. You don't have to belive me, you just have to remember - we'll all know soon enough (about 128 or so days, if our guess of the start date is correct).

Bottom line - there is no place else to put the fuel tank in a simple manner.

BTW, don't think the "dismissal" thing is just a ruse. If they (GM) sees a significant information leak, they will not be happy at all. It has happened, and not just at GM.

GM is in "Internet Denial" - like many Multilevel-marketing companies. They think they can control the internet, and one way is to find one or two folks and make a Gestapo example out of them, and control by fear.

The other way is to control by "information control". This is how MLM's work - they just tell you not to access the internet. GM can just simply shut off access to the internet or block anything that resembles a forum - which is not effective but gives the appearance of being so. There are many automotive company "lurkers" on the site, it would be a shame to put their access to the forum at jeaopardy just to get information on something we'll know for sure in a few months.

Please don't be offended. "'nuff said" was in relation to my conclusions, and maybe I should just have said "IMVHO, 'nuff said."

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A review of all the pics we have seen of the Solstice would really rule out most other locations for the trunk. There is no room in the middle of the car for it because the driveshaft and transmission will be up there. Since it is so low, there won't be room under the front seats. The floorpans are the bottom of the chassis. That leaves the aft 1/3 of the car to fit the tank. If the tank were underneath, it would have to be in front of the rear suspension, and behind the passenger compartment. Due to the car's short length, there just isn't really any space there for it. The middle of that space is cut by the driveshaft again, and either side of that is not the roomiest area to fit in a bulky gas tank. It wouldn't be underneath behind the rear suspension for crashworthiness. That leaves the only really viable space as above the rear suspension, between the suspension and the passenger compartment. Roughly about where that box is in the trunk pic.

Its the most practical and cost effective place that I see to put the fuel tank. Based on the space needs of the tank, and the space availability of the tank (as well as the chassis pics, trunk pics, and underneath the Sky pics) it appears to me that the box is most likely the fuel tank without any potential insider information.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thank you solstice man for your answer.
I have another question for you. Have you ever owned a "Jet Ski"?
I have. And they have a storage container exactly like I believe the KAPPA's do. Yes I have looked at the Sky pics. I think the Sky is a better looking car than the Sol so i have been on the Saturn site. And I have looked VERY close at the realy cool pics they have of the Sky.I think it would be good for GM to have that much delail on all of there sites. Yes there is a "black box" above the diff. I never denied that. In fact I have been saying all along that there is a storage container under the hump. I believe that black box is not a gas tank, it is the storage conainer lower half. it is exactly like the storage containers on the large jet skis. I dont think it is the gas tank because it is in the worst place GM could put it, no other manufacturer (that I know of) ever put it in such an odd place. They had to know that they (GM) would get the worst magazine and public reviews from it because of the lost trunk space. This is asking for ALOT of greef if that is a gas tank. I also have seen lots of plastic fuel tanks and ALL of them are made of VERRY thick plastic. None of them had the structural ribs/indentations that that "black box" has. Why on Earth would there be so much reinforcement in the bottom of that tank, it has VERRY little surface aria and there is no need for the structural indentations? It has those shapes on the bottom of the black box because the bottom of the box is not as thick as a gas tank (it aint a gas tank) GM chose to use thinner plastic for the storage container than a gas tank and this required the stuctural shapes in the bottom of the storage box to hold the "stuff" we as buyers want to put in there. The storage box is held up by the triangle mounts on the frame rails above the dif. The storage container sits down in the cavity between the fraim rails and above the diff. It has walls about 8inches higher than the trunk floor and a cover that is light and easly removeable. That cover is also a rear indow shelf. I have also seen the ghost pic of the Sol and cant see ANY reason to believe that there is a gas tank under the hump. Like I have said before, there IS a box there. It is a storage container. That pic shows no fuel lines or filler hoses or provesions for them. Why? Because a storage box does not need them, plain and simple the hump is not a gas tank cover. it is a storage container cover.
Is this wishfull thinking? I dont think so I think it is a good sumation of the "facts"-"romors" that we have been given. I believe it is a good deduction of the evedence given to us. Common sence says they will put the fuel tank in the KAPPA much the same as the rest of the auto industry will put thier fuel tanks in cars like this. Most likely they should learn from the Corvette and do it much the same way. This "gas tank hump in the trunk" is NOT an inovative way to use trunk space and the industry will not follow such folly. It is just DUMB!
Thank you for reading my rant. I would like to see your reasons for why you think GM put the gas tank under the hump.I want to know what you think GM did with the space behind the seats, the bathtub shape that I think will contain the gas tank? Is it just wasted space? How will GM answer the critics on how they wasted so much space behind the seats and have no trunk space because they chose to put the gas tank smack dab in the middle of the trunk?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ff88 why do think this cant work?
I dont see why it cant. And for sure it would not be exactly like this but it can be VERRY close.

This is were I think the gas tank is.

This is what I think the lower half of the storage container will look like. Note that you can see the bottom of the black plastic storage box from under the car (Saturn web site pics) The top half of this storage box is what you see in the trunk pics and in the ghost pic.

You have to realize I did this verry quickly so it is not exact or to scale :smile

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why do I think it has a funny shapped storage box in the trunk? Because that stuff we want to put in the trunk will destroy the rag top if the stuff just rolls around in the trunk freely. The box limmits the movement of the stuff so the top will fold down and wont get damaged by our stuff back there.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not sure that tank would really hold all that much fuel. Now we don’t know the exact dimensions of your box, and how much box would really fit in there after things like body hardware, and top hardware are installed.

I’ll assume your drawing is exactly what would fit there. Now we know the wheels are 18 inchers, plus a couple for tires, in diameter. I’ll say 3 inches for argument, so 21 inch diameter. Perspective is not easy to account for, but it appears that your box is about 1/3 the width of the wheel, and just shy of half the height. Making it about 10X7 square. Width is even tougher to decipher, but it looks like it fills the space between those two metal triangle points. (and the frame rails). Again, judging by the tires, I don’t think that distance is much greater, but for the benefit of the doubt lets say its 30 inches, 1.5 times the rolling size of the wheel. That gives 30X10X7, for a total volume of 2100 cubic inches. That makes it a 9 gallon tank, which is on the small side even for a Fiero.

They will keep the tank inside of the frame rails, for safety reasons. Otherwise you have an old GM truck. Fireball! So we are limited in the width of the tank. We are also limited in the height of the tank, since we know the trunk lid, trunk lid hardware, and softtop hardware and attachment points will be somewhere in the vicinity of your tank, as well as some sort of structural member for rigidity of the car and for these components to attach to. So the height of the tank is severely limited too. Above the frame rails, below the upper hardware. That leaves length as the only dimension GM really has in which to increase tank capacity.

Its really tough to speculate so exactly without the actual dimensions of the car back there, but I do not think the square you have divided off has enough volume to hold sufficient fuel.

PS, using the figures may be a bad idea since its highly subjective, but I wanted to try and illustrate the size needs. Its the best way I could think of.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Agree the tank must be protected so we don't a fireball ('74 Pinto?). As far as safety of the folded top goes...neatly folded on top of the hump seems like what they are going for. Top is attached to it's frame so it's not going to go left/right and the hump acts as a resting place for it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I dont think we need to discuss the safety of the gas tank were I think it will go. Just look at the Corvette cut away pics. It works for that car. Also did you notice the Roll Bar on either side of the tank? Truck, Pinto, come on guys this tank is as safe as the driver! By putting it in the center of the trunk you will expose it to a rear end colision more so than where I think it will go.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Ricky, are you a GM plant on this forum put here to try and disseminate misinformation?

Ever look in the trunk of an '04/'05 GTO? Whaddaya see in there? Also, every GM car I've owned has had a ribbed plastic cover over the bottom of the gas tank... much like the one illustrated on the bottom of the SKY.

I admire your resilience, but I'm with Solsticeman on this one.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Why can't the top fit between the hump and the front wall of trunk? Just becaues we've been talking glass rear window, do we know for certain it is? Even if it is, simply removing the top completely from car, like an MG would allow for stuffing it in frontmost location. Maybe I read picture of open trunk wrong but I thought there certainly was about 6 " full depth in front of hump. By the way if top is not removable, then some type of hinge mechanism should have shown in the trunk shot.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts