Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mazda article. Covers the whole Mazda line but 1 paragraph has direct fire on Solstice camp. His quote on the Solstice base radio is wrong, it has a CD too ;) Sounds like they are a little worried about the Solstice base price.

How much volume will the redesigned MX-5 Miata get? Do you worry about competition from the Pontiac Solstice?

We'll see a year-over-year volume increase. We won't see it reaching early 1990s levels because the competition is stiff with the BMW Z4, Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. But we have a huge, loyal owner body, and they know only Mazda can do an MX-5 Miata. Yeah, we're concerned about other entries, but they are going to spend a lot of money launching theirs. And Mazda will resonate because it is the one area where we do have recognition. We sell more roadsters in the world than any manufacturer. GM can talk about the low sticker price of the Solstice, but that's because their base model comes with crank windows and just an AM-FM radio.
Link:
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102352

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
:lol:

Well, looks like he doesn't have a handle on his competition - else he would be harping on the "non AC" option. Even though if you add AC to a solstice it ends up still a thousand or two less than the Miata :thumbs:.

AND you get a CD player WITH AUXILIARY INPUT to boot. STANDARD! :cheers:

Makes me wonder if they really know what their production models weigh... :devil: :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He might be living in the past a bit too...
We sell more roadsters in the world than any manufacturer.
Maybe this will be "we used to sell more roadsters..." :devil:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Not to start anything but... anybody want to make a bet who will still be selling roadsters 5 years from now? ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Size Matters

Mazda chief didn't happen to mention anything about that fact that many of us don't fit in Miatas did he?

I have considered them in the past, think it is great that they revived the roadster and did it better than the British cars they were copying, but simply didn't fit in the earlier versions and I'm only 6ft albiet with a 33 in. inseam.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mazda probably can count on their current MX-5 owner base for a fair number of sales since they've sold over 700,000 worldwide. I think the increased interior room and power might bring in some new customers. I’m one of them.

I think the Solstice will also do well in its first year because it’s a rare bird (an affordable American sports roadster) and because of its appearance.

The automobile mags are going to have a field day with the comparison tests.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solstice is going to have to bring new buyers to the table. This roadster pie is going to get carved up pretty good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
I have considered them in the past, think it is great that they revived the roadster and did it better than the British cars they were copying, but simply didn't fit in the earlier versions and I'm only 6ft albiet with a 33 in. inseam.
I am 6'1'' with 34'' inseam - and I have been driving a 1993 Miata as my daily driver since 1996 (Yup, more than 9 years). These early ones actually had more space than the 99+ NBs.

Having said that - the NC is supposed to be bigger. It will be interesting to see how the new offerings stack against each other. Were I to look for a new convertible today (Unlikely, I already have 2) I would defintely look at all of them but suspect that the Mazda will be the front-runner.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I gotta tell you, with summer less than a breath away, and the Solstice dream still little more than a great idea, I am seriously wavering. That Mazda is looking nice - and the fact that they are actually producing them... well, let's just say I am having some second thoughts. I have had my order in since early April, but unless GM can start telling me something concrete, I just may show Mazda the money...

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Danno said:
I gotta tell you, with summer less than a breath away, and the Solstice dream still little more than a great idea, I am seriously wavering. That Mazda is looking nice - and the fact that they are actually producing them... well, let's just say I am having some second thoughts. I have had my order in since early April, but unless GM can start telling me something concrete, I just may show Mazda the money...
One thing to remember, it takes a long while to get them over here plus I think the first batch coming over is a limited edition (more money/features). Maybe TCL would know more.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That is a funny attack coming from Mazda. Oh, it has crank windows. The HORROR! :lol: Actually, I would think that the Miata would still have a market for a stripper version without power windows and some of the other frills, to help drop the weight down a little for racing use. Plus, it would drop that MSRP down a little too.

It wasn’t that long ago when everything on a Miata was extra too. Power options, AC, even power steering. They came standard with steel wheels, plastic rear windows, etc.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but getting rid of these truly base model Miata’s has coincided with price increases, and lower sales than the car originally experienced.

The Miata is a heck of a roadster and has owned the market for 15 years. This is their first experience with competition. I like their so-what attitude in the press. Mazda is the authority on affordable roadsters right now, and they need to act like it. That doesn’t mean they aren’t worried on the inside! They seem to direct a lot of their marketing effort at the Solstice!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Mazda chief didn't happen to mention anything about that fact that many of us don't fit in Miatas did he?

50+ (?) I'm 6' 1" with a 34 inseam and fit OK in my son's miata. It's an older version, '93 I think. It's a bit tight, but I've driven it long distances without issues. I do expect the new Deep Solstice we ordered to be better.

·
Registered
533 Posts
mceb said:
One thing to remember, it takes a long while to get them over here plus I think the first batch coming over is a limited edition (more money/features). Maybe TCL would know more.
I've heard anywhere from August to early September for US deliveries because they're trying to get a number of them into the ports before they start going to dealers. My order has a blank ETA date with an estimated build month of June.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
mceb said:
Mazda will buid several thousand US versions, ship and hold them in the US before distributing them to dealers. The Mazda reps said that they don't want to just dribble them out a few at a time. They want enough stock so each dealer can have several on their lots.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The first 200 are supposedly going straight to the media too according to a thread we had a while back.

Also are these cars meant to go on sale, or are these "salebale" cars that might not necisarily go on sale?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
brentil said:
Also are these cars meant to go on sale, or are these "salebale" cars that might not necisarily go on sale?
I would think at least some will be sold (used). Several people on Miata.net own previous model press cars. Those that are just used for press "rides" will probably be sold, while those to released to magazines for abuse...err... testing and review will probably be scrapped or keep for "engineering purposes".

·
Registered
254 Posts
How did this guy ever earn the title of 'President'? Doesn't he check his facts (apparently not)? I hereby "FIRE" him. :)

I have never seriously considered the Miata because of the STUPID NAME... Miata. The Japs seriously need some education on naming their products. MX-5 is only a marginally better name.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts