1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Capacity Restrains Mazda MX-5 Sales

By Christie Schweinsberg

WardsAuto.com, Jun 27 2005

Mazda expects the U.S. will sell 10,000 of the 40,000 MX-5s slated to be built annually, half the volume targeted for the Pontiac Solstice.

KONA, HI – Mazda North American Operations is expecting to sell 10,000 units of its all-new MX-5 (Miata) annually, a number hampered by available capacity.

“Worldwide production is going to be about 40,000 units in the total scheme of things, year-to-year, full-on production,” Robert Davis, MNAO senior vice president-development, research and quality, tells Ward’s here at the vehicle’s preview.

Mazda MX-5
“We’re probably looking at 10,000 units in the U.S. The big holdback this year will be the availability, just like Mazda3. We expect to basically not have any availability for more than a year based on what the dealers are telling us and what the existing Mazda owner base is telling us.”

It is a persistent problem for the auto maker these days. Davis says Mazda is “on a sold-out condition on a lot of our vehicle lines. You just sit there and throw your hands up in the air.”

He says at least 20,000 additional Mazda3s easily could be sold in the U.S. this year “if we could build them.” Mazda has sold 43,808 of the compact cars in the U.S. through May, a 33.2% increase from year-ago.

“I’d love to have another plant…at this point anywhere,” including North America, Davis says, but adds there is no serious talk of adding a manufacturing facility.

The ’06 MX-5 will face off against the new Pontiac Solstice 2-seater from General Motors Corp., and later, against Solstice’s twin, the Saturn Sky roadster.

As to claims by GM that it will sell 20,000 units of Solstice annually, Davis says, “Talk is cheap. When they talk 700,000 (the number of MX-5s sold worldwide to date),” GM will have numbers to flaunt.

Davis downplays the early hype for the Solstice. “I think the buzz is only building in Detroit. You don’t hear the buzz really anywhere else,” he says, adding the vehicle still is a few months from hitting the market.

However, he diplomatically says Mazda “welcomes Solstice.”

Gary Roudebush, group manager-passenger car platforms, agrees, telling Ward’s the Solstice will generate more interest, as well as competition, in the roadster segment.

Meanwhile, Roudebush says he expects the MX-5’s Grand Touring trim, which begins at $24,435, to make up the majority (60%-70%) of early sales. The entry-level Club Spec trim should comprise just 5% of the overall tally, with the other four trim levels: MX-5, Touring, Sport and 3rd Generation Limited, to account for 5%-10% of sales each. (See related story: Mazda Sets Miata Prices)

Average buyer age should dip slightly, to 50 years of age from 55, with the current generation MX-5, he says.

At launch, Roudebush expects 60% male buyers, most of them married.

Advertising is set to launch in September, but most U.S. dealers should have the MX-5 by August, says Jim O’Sullivan, president and CEO.

Davis says there will be a heavy focus on prior customers at launch, as Mazda must make “sure we take care of the customers that brought us to the party.”

To that end, Mazda plans to host about 30 MX-5 enthusiasts here in Hawaii, giving them a chance to test-drive the third-generation model.

“We’ve never done it before,” says a spokesman, adding he would be surprised if any other manufacturer had a large enough club following to do so.

Five of the enthusiasts are from the U.S., representing each of the five regions that comprise Mazda’s U.S. Advisory Council. Ten enthusiasts will come from Japan, as well as one from Canada.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep. Buzz is only in Detroit. Ummmm Hmmm...

That's why there are so many pi$$ed off zero zippers.

Where's the latest first 1000 map?

And don't forget this thread... surprising bias in the SE and NE... http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2130

Or maybe Mazda thinks Detroit is a REAALLLY BIG city that contains ALL of the Midwest...

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...Gary Roudebush, group manager-passenger car platforms, agrees, telling Ward’s the Solstice will generate more interest, as well as competition, in the roadster segment.
I somehow think the the coming of the Solstice is the main reason Mazda has dropped the price on their car, offered a non AC version, and maybe even influenced the S2000 drop in lease prices.

If GM weren't putting out a roadster, does anyone REALLY think Mazda would have intro'd their "next generation" at nearly the same price as their "previous generation"?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
They're all running scared. Trying to throw dirt and spin tactics to veil thier fear. If the hoopla is only in detroit then why do we have several people from Europe and a ton of Canadians posting here?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Ahhh a shot across the bow...love those :devil:

GM can't do 20,000? They already have orders for 9,000 and they didn't even start to build it.

Love the whole "Capacity Restrains Mazda MX-5 Sales"...maybe should read increased competition restrains MX-5 sales :lol:

·
Registered
167 Posts
There was a post a while back that gave yearly sales of competitive roadsters. I didn't think Mazda was close to 10,000 units in the U. S. Does anyone know the number they sold?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
solsticeman said:
Yep. Buzz is only in Detroit. Ummmm Hmmm...

That's why there are so many pi$$ed off zero zippers.

Where's the latest first 1000 map?

And don't forget this thread... surprising bias in the SE and NE... http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2130

Or maybe Mazda thinks Detroit is a REAALLLY BIG city that contains ALL of the Midwest...

Map link in my sig, I can only assume it is the latest once since I am not creating that one.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
"Average buyer age should dip slightly, to 50 years of age from 55, with the current generation MX-5, he says."

I'm 55 and don't like the looks of the new Mazda's. I thought it was a style thing, but now I understand I just grew up. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
spyderone said:
There was a post a while back that gave yearly sales of competitive roadsters. I didn't think Mazda was close to 10,000 units in the U. S. Does anyone know the number they sold?
Last year was the end of the 2nd generation and everyone knew the 3rd gen was coming so it depressed sales. I don't know the U.S. numbers but worldwide Mazda did like 90,000 or some really high figure in the early 90's when it first came out.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I heard that the total USA sales figures since the introduction 15 years ago was around 320,000.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Some Canadians live South of Detroit

brentil said:
They're all running scared. Trying to throw dirt and spin tactics to veil thier fear. If the hoopla is only in detroit then why do we have several people from Europe and a ton of Canadians posting here?
Detroit is one of the few places with Americans who live North of Canada, but I digress.

The Canadians are easy to explain, we've been having to live without Hockey! But then the playoffs would have been over by now.

So Pontiac really needs to time the Canadian shipments with the start of the NHL season, 'cause once that happens we lose interest in everything else.

Oh, and we appreciate the hockey reference of a Mazda MX5 and Solstice "face off".

We can't wait to go to Tim Horton's for a "Double Double" in our new Solstices.

For the non-Canadians out there a "Double Double" is a coffee with two creams, two sugars and was entered into the Oxford Canadian dictionary. Now if we could just invent something we could make money from....

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
tcl said:
I heard that the total USA sales figures since the introduction 15 years ago was around 320,000.
Averages in the 20,000 a year range.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:

So Pontiac really needs to time the Canadian shipments with the start of the NHL season...

Wait a minute, I thought you wanted to get your Solstice _this_ year? :lol: :glol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Chemist said:
Wait a minute, I thought you wanted to get your Solstice _this_ year? :lol: :glol: :lol:
Ouch! A little too close to the truth there.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
More evidence in my mind that Mazda is fearful of the Solstice and what it could do. Not only are they openly talking about it in articles, some of their advertising is directed squarely at the Solstice, mentioning it by name.

Hopefully the owners keep things as a friendly competition, but it doesn't look like Mazda and GM will be playing too nicely. Mazda definately does not seem to appreciate GM walking into their private roadster niche.

Mazda's man said it all. "Talk is cheap." Well Mazda, talk is cheap so quit talking and let's get those new MX-5's to dealers!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone found Mazda's NC MX-5 0-60 times yet?

According to them, their curb weight is 2474 lbs and engine is 170 hp, so their estimated 0-60 time should be right around 6.5 seconds.

(curb lbs/hp * 0.45) (Solstice is 2860/177 *.45 = 7.3 estimated, 7.2 reported)

In this realm of estimation, where the HP is not "tire burning", this estimator works quite well, within 0.2 seconds (usually) of the actual tested 0-60.

I thought I saw some strange numbers from one of the British magazines, and haven't seen any North American sources from Mazda yet.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I dug up this 0-60 time of 7.5 seconds. I do not know if they estimated, used a number from Mazda, or robbed it from another source. So who knows if it is accurate. Also of warning is that they have the power figures off, showing 160 HP 140 lb-ft. So it may not be very accurate. It's just all I have seen at this point.

source: http://www.fast-autos.net/mazda/mazdamx5.html

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
They give the following as Mazda official numbers. Remember this is for the non-USA versions though. So the 1.8-litre is (125 bhp) and the 2.0-litre is (158 bhp).
Though the power outputs are, on paper, relatively modest, Mazda says that they're enough to push the 1.8-litre model from 0-62mph in 9.4 seconds and onto 122mph, with the 131mph range-topper taking 7.9 seconds to get to 62mph.
So using S-man's equation we should get:
1.8L: (curb lbs/hp * 0.45) = (2474/125 * 0.45) = 8.9 s (0.5 lower then quoted)
2.0L: (curb lbs/hp * 0.45) = (2474/158 * 0.45) = 7.05 s (0.85 lower then quoted)
2.0L: (curb lbs/hp * 0.45) = (2474/170 * 0.45) = 6.5 s

There's defintely something fishy here. :confused:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
brentil said:
So using S-man's equation we should get:
1.8L: (curb lbs/hp * 0.45) = (2474/125 * 0.45) = 8.9 s (0.5 lower then quoted)
2.0L: (curb lbs/hp * 0.45) = (2474/158 * 0.45) = 7.05 s (0.85 lower then quoted)
2.0L: (curb lbs/hp * 0.45) = (2474/170 * 0.45) = 6.5 s

There's definitely something fishy here. :confused:
All kinds of things can factor in. The British test 0-62 That last 2 mph is significant for lower HP cars.

Gear Ratios/5sp or 6sp. If a shift has to occur right before the top speed, takes more time. 6sp usually will require an extra shift.

Some companies design around the 0-60 test, some don't.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts