5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
316 Posts
solli4me said:
Check out this link. I think they're running scared: :lol:

http://www.2006mx5miata.com/?source=GOOG&keyword=[solstice]
Im not trying to turn this into a Miata vs Solstice thread, there's plenty of that out there already. But...

It doesn’t mention the price comparison, "comparably equipped," on that page. And the looks of the cars and their appeal are a very individual thing and not easily comparable.

The MAZDASPEED MX-5 quotes as

Fully integrated IHI turbocharger with air-to-air intercooler
178 hp and 166 lb-ft of torque
6-speed manual gearbox
17-inch Racing Hart® alloy wheels

"built" one on their website and it totaled $27,795.

Given the excitement I get from people when they find out Im getting an EOP car, Id say if I was Mazda, Id be worried about erosion of market share.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Solstick said:
Given the excitement I get from people when they find out Im getting an EOP car, Id say if I was Mazda, Id be worried about erosion of market share.
IIRC, Mazda is also doing a limited edition car, although I think it is on the order of 3500 I think. They are also doing a tour of America, where they are stoping in various cities around the country. The car is going to be transported in a special display truck and they are encouraging Miata fans and clubs to follow them around. Whether this generates more or less interest than the Apprentice, I don't know.

Your right though, the looks of the new Solstice is going to steal alot of thunder from Mazda. Aspecially the first time roadster buyers. The new MX-5 pretty much preaches to the choir.

·
Registered
391 Posts
AeroDave said:
Your right though, the looks of the new Solstice is going to steal alot of thunder from Mazda. Aspecially the first time roadster buyers. The new MX-5 pretty much preaches to the choir.
"Thunder"-" Miata" In the same sentance? HaHaHaHaHa.
The miata is "the roadster" that people "think" the Solstice will be. The truth is that the Kappa is WAY more than the Miata can deal with.
I am not setting my sights that low. The Miata aint got squat. Oh..hang on the Miata does have ugly looks (face only Ma Ma can love) and is still way under powered, but they dont brag about that for some reason? And for some reason they compare the lowest optioned $20,000 Sol to a higher priced Miata? Were is the bragging in that? But I gues if thats all you got, any port in a storm will do?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm a solstice fan here, but Miata wins hands-down in one VERY important area.... you can actually get one for the summer...!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
(miata)... and is still way under powered...
really you think so?? I think it will be faster then the solstice or sky, reason being it has 170 hp(so they say) and its 400lbs lighter!! the power to weight ratio is also higer. so I think it will be faster then solstice, and it might handle better since it is that much lighter.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
enderokc said:
really you think so?? I think it will be faster then the solstice or sky, reason being it has 170 hp(so they say) and its 400lbs lighter!! the power to weight ratio is also higer. so I think it will be faster then solstice, and it might handle better since it is that much lighter.
We'll see. So they claim - the proof will be in the driving. Heard from some sources that they are working right now to get their 0-60 times down from mid-hi 7 seconds. (Pontiac is advertising 0-60 in 7.2)

Mazda "claims" the car will be available in the summer, too, but again... we'll see.

Should be an excellent competition. Solstice STILL beats the Miata on price. I wonder how or if Mazda will attempt to control gouging to the extent that Pontiac has (admirably) tried. Many people are getting their Solstices ordered at MSRP. Wonder if the Miata will 1) command a premium, 2) be subject to dealer gouging, and 3) be as desirable as the Solstice seems to be.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Which I find to be a near pointless comparison (shoulder & leg). Have any of you ever heard someone complain, "oh god, I was going to get a Miata but my shoulders wouldn't fit!!! I needed a bar of soap to free myself from it's horrid death grip." No, pretty much everyone who gets in a Miata and doesn't fit is because they're too tall.

I wonder why a car with about the same HP and 400 lbs less weight would be having issues beating the Solstice's 0-60 time?

·
Registered
45 Posts
solli4me said:
Check out this link. I think they're running scared: :lol:

http://www.2006mx5miata.com/?source=GOOG&keyword=[solstice]
I look at those types of comparisons and just laugh. :lol: I wish they would just say what they have and there price. Frankly, when I see a well loaded more expensive car compared to a base model car, it makes me think they are grabbing at straws to make the car sound better. I know they were trying to outshine the solstice, but all they did was reek of negativity. Seeing that, I could careless about the Miata.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Mazda throws down the gauntlet!

I did a general search for Pontiac on google today, and came across the following link to Mazda's new MX-5 site...

http://www.2006mx5miata.com/

On the site, they offer a free exlusive poster for the new MX-5, as well as a direct comparison between it and the Solstice highlighting some "benefits" the MX-5 enjoys over the sol.

Let the marketing war begin! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solli4me said:
Hey Fformula88, :agree: This was my imbedded 4/24 post in New Picture:

Check out this link. I think they're running scared:

http://www.2006mx5miata.com/?source...=[solstice]
I think I read that thread you had posted in, but I just don't remember seeing it. Maybe I did miss it since I didn't really get back to the forum until 4/25.

At any rate, I waved my magic wand and added the posts from that thread to this one pertaining to the Mazda site, since the discussion went in a new direction away from the original topic anyway. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First u c it, now u don't had me going :willy:
Then I realized you're the magic modman.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solli4me said:
First u c it, now u don't had me going :willy:
Then I realized you're the magic modman.
Sorry for the confusion. When I merged the posts, it automatically puts them in chronological order. So our posts from this afternoon ended up at the bottom of the thread.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Solstick said:
Im not trying to turn this into a Miata vs Solstice thread, there's plenty of that out there already. But...

It doesn’t mention the price comparison, "comparably equipped," on that page. And the looks of the cars and their appeal are a very individual thing and not easily comparable.

The MAZDASPEED MX-5 quotes as

Fully integrated IHI turbocharger with air-to-air intercooler
178 hp and 166 lb-ft of torque
6-speed manual gearbox
17-inch Racing Hart® alloy wheels

"built" one on their website and it totaled $27,795.

Well, if the only valid criticism of the Mazda website is that they haven't announced pricing yet, you should be fair and mention that Mazdaspeed Miatas are currently selling for more like $17,850k, not $27,795k.

A lot of us "oldtimer" Solstice admirers here have tried hard to make this a fair and friendly site for lots of roadster lovers. Let's not let this site become a 'my car's best 'cause your car sucks' site. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of great comparisons of the new Miata and the Solstice based on some friendly competition. I would imagine there will be genuine pros and cons for each car based on some significant design differences, but seems to me there's a lot of similarity too. Cheers. :cheers:

·
4,592 Posts
robrecht said:
Well, if the only valid criticism of the Mazda website is that they haven't announced pricing yet, you should be fair and mention that Mazdaspeed Miatas are currently selling for more like $17,850k, not $27,795k.
That's a good catch robrecht, I thought that $28K was for the NC MX-5, if I had seen $28K for a MSM, I would have posted sooner! Thanks for clarifying!

robrecht said:
A lot of us "oldtimer" Solstice admirers here have tried hard to make this a fair and friendly site for lots of roadster lovers. Let's not let this site become a 'my car's best 'cause your car sucks' site. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of great comparisons of the new Miata and the Solstice based on some friendly competition. I would imagine there will be genuine pros and cons for each car based on some significant design differences, but seems to me there's a lot of similarity too. Cheers. :cheers:
Now this is a good point, afterall some people on this forum may one day own one of each :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I thought all the previous hype was they had buried the Miata name never to be seen again. Maybe they discoverd nobody knew what an MX-5 was. A real comparo will be when the car mags do a head to head with real world skid pad and drop the clutch shootout. Wish they would call me in for reader contribution.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts