Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

mean yellow roadster free flo CAT & exhaust

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  TX08manualGXP 
#1 ·
Today I had the SOLO free flo CAT and the GXP Mach exhaust fitted to the Mean Yellow Roadster GXP. WOW. Fitst, there is a realln noticeable increasi in power abd torque, comparable to the increases after the GMPP Stage 2 tune.ra
eally mean now. Also, now my car sounds lihe a high performance machine. Nice idle burble, powerful growell during acceleration, and restrained strength during cruise. This one is a keeper. ?I have a complete exhaust system from 2008 GPX with 6200 miles on it. The original CAT is not included. Mountain Muffler in Golden Colorado has the system. FREE, plus any nominal handling fee. Their phone is 303 278 2043. Ask for Gary.

#6 ·
How loud and how aggressive is the Mach exhaust? Most people around here have the Street Race or Mach Shorty exhaust. My concern with them is the noise and possible cabin drone at cruising speed. But then my concern with the Mach exhaust is that it won't be loud or aggressive enough.

Any insight, comments or concerns you have would be much appreciated.

#8 ·
There shouldn't be any cabin drone with this exhaust. Mine doesn't have any drone and I have no mufflers....

#7 ·
My experience is the loud system is just that. We chose the
"Quiet" system for the wife's car. She loves it. The sound is very nice but not over powering. You get a nice muted rumble but no drone.

It is quieter than my Magnaflow was but still nice. Having the high flow cat makes a difference as well.

#9 ·
I really love the sound of the SOLO CAT and Mach exhaust. (Not the shorty) For me, the tone is loud enough without being annoying loud. I feel that now my GPX sounds high performance. The way a sports car should sound. Many owners may want a louder exhaust, but for me the deep burble of the mach is just right. Nice power boost, too.

#11 ·
Hey Wendell, you said you have the free flow or cat eliminator right? how much do you think that differs from the hi flow cat? also, did you have any problems with the 02 sensors and get a code or do you have the extender or whatever it is?
I thought I had my heart set on the mach shorty and hiflow cat but maybe the mach along with the socalled catless is the way to go.

seltzer, I have heard a lot of soundclips of a bunch of the Solo systems and NONE of them have the drone. you basically pick a system for loudness and your good to go.

#12 ·
never mind, I just checked it out and the freeflow and hi flow is the same thing. It's still a cat so there's no other issues.

so, now my question, does it still sound a bit loud or is it just a low tone with a slight rumble. I'm not sure what your taste is so now that you have it, you dont say to yourself: I love it but if it were just a tad louder, I'd lover it even more or are you 110% pleased?

#13 ·
loud is in the eye of the beholder

How loud is " loud"? I used to race a Sunbeam Tiger 289 V8 with unmuffled headers. That was way loud. My present SOLO CAT and Mach exhaust is not so much loud as "powerful". It lets the Solstice sound like a high performance machine. You really know the engine is there, without being too obvious. Kind of an elegant rumble, but not overpowering. Also less likely to attract fuzz !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.