Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a simple way of measuring displacement? Without taking the engine out of the car that is!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
engine displacement

Actually I am looking for a way to measure the actual displacement. For example: put a hose on the spark plug hole, put the piston all the way down, fill with oil and measure the amount of oil that is displaced by raising the piston to top.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Actually I am looking for a way to measure the actual displacement. For example: put a hose on the spark plug hole, put the piston all the way down, fill with oil and measure the amount of oil that is displaced by raising the piston to top.
That would work. But it might be easier to measure by placing the piston at top dead center (all the way up), fill with oil, then turn the crank until the piston is at bottom and re-fill, measuring how much you've added.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Then put the spark-plug back and sell me your blown motor!! hahahahahaha seriously, make sure you suck all the oil COMPLETELY out of the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
yeah, you certainly don't want an exhaust system full of oil. and the way Soup said sounds the most accurate. that way you will know what the volume of the combustion chamber is too. except for quench, it should be quite accurate.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Yeah, like Racer said, I really wouldn't attempt this on your Solstice, or any engine you want to work again post-test. Really difficult to get all that oil out afterward!

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I do this quite often with race engines on a stand, to double check actual total combustion space. No reason you can't do it for the whole cylinder, but unless it is on a stand so you can rotate it to drain, it is going to make one Hell of a mess if you just crank it with one plug out!

I would expect 99.9% of LNF engines to still be stock compression as few would have been bored. Why do you need to know and why can't it wait until you pull the head so you can measure bore size?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Simple mathmatics -

1cc = 1/1000 of a Liter
1000cc = 1 Liter (One liter is 10cmx10cmx10cm=1000cc)
1CI = 16.387cc

Volume of a cylinder = pi * radius2 * height

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Uh - unless you assess the OP as too dense to look up stock specs on the engine, I expect he was getting at measuring non-stock displacement without removing the head.

I could be wrong though......

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Hey Sam... why do you want to know? what are you trying to accomplish??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the comments. Response:

1] Hard to measure the dimensions for bore and stroke with the engine in the car.
2] Will not be too hard on compression stroke, [need valves closed] will be a bit hard to get all the oil out. I think I will use something like alcohol/light oil mix as I think that will be easier to remove, burn out better once I start the engine and not such a load on the converter. Soup: I think the valve would be open on intake so I would need to use the firing cycle.
3] wspohn has it right; I am looking to confirm displacement on an installed engine.
4] Thanks Ghost; I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
If you don't have to rebuild the engine, it doesn't matter whether it is stock or .020" over.

If you ARE going to rebuild it, wait until you get it apart - never order rebuild parts until you actually see the size and condition of the old ones.

Either way, problem solved.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an engine and wish to determine displacement without removal from the car. After multiple conversations with mechanics the consensus seems to be the following:

Remove all 4 plugs

Turn to extreme bottom and check to make sure all valves are closed.

Fill a kitchen pot w/ CC markings with 90% alcohol and 10 % synthetic oil to maximum mark.

Pour from pot into plug hole to get the CC making sure the valves are closed..

This gives the total cc of displacement and the head volume. Since we know the compression is about 12 to one we know that means that the total is 13/12 th of the 2.4 displacement and should total about 2600/4 CC which is 650.

If the engine is a 2.0 the number comes out 2166/4 = 542 CC.

The difference should be very easy to determine.

Following the test suck out most of the fluid. Following restore the plugs and start.

I am told the small amount of oil remaining will lube a bit but not damage the cat. Any alcohol will simply burn off most of the oil.

Any way thanks for the help.

Sam from CA

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
This gives the total cc of displacement and the head volume. Since we know the compression is about 12 to one we know that means that the total is 13/12 th of the 2.4 displacement and should total about 2600/4 CC which is 650.

If the engine is a 2.0 the number comes out 2166/4 = 542 CC.

The difference should be very easy to determine.
You have a 12:1 compression 2.0? Presumably not an LNF engine!

Why not just borrow the proper tool from Mr Gasket from a local race shop and be sure - and not have to guess about compression etc. You aren't going to get enough accuracy to tell whether your engine is stnadard bore or 0.010" over your way.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

How much fluid poured into the cylinder on a non-running engine is going to seep past the rings and make its way into the oil pan?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts