Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for posting pix for those of us that could not physically be there. I wish I could have been.. I unfortunately can relate to what they are going through having been told Friday that Aug 7th will be my last day at my job.

A big thank you from me to all those at Boxwood for building my baby and letting have some great times in my first convertible. I couldn't have asked for a better car to enjoy the summer time with !

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
That was Randy in the beginning and Mark toward the end.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
More Pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
And Some More:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
And Even More:

Attachments

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Dan, those are spectacularly clear pictures of the line. I can see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, if you get my drift... :)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Thanks Solli :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
80 Posts

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
smarty, I looked for you after the walkthrough but I was told that you'd left. I'll mail your tees out to you...

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
When we walked through the plant and were allowed to take pictures, I knew it was totally different....it really was the end. There were no longer any trade secrets that needed to be hidden, no special equipment that couldn't be photographed, not processes that couldn't be seen. The workers who were still there were wonderful, they thanked us....they actually thanked us. They shook our hands and thanked us for buying the cars that they built. I didn't know what to say. I shook hands, I touched people, I shared looks into eyes, but at the end of the day I got to leave and go back to a job, these people didn't have. When we finished the walk-thru and were standing around waiting for a couple of people to catch up to us the lights in the plant started to shut down one bank at a time. All of the lights went out except for the couple of areas where people were still working. It left a hollow feeling in my stomach. It was truly the end. The lights had been put on just for us to walk thru one last time. Even on their last days these workers were still doing everything they could for us. When we lined up our cars along the fence at quitting time many of the workers drove out past us and waved. Most of them said thanks, many even walked past and shook hands with us on the way to their cars. I watched one woman drive by my car with tears streaming down her face but she was still telling everyone thanks. I was at Mecca II and remember seeing so many wonderful people, I remember talking to them, even kidding them about cheering for the wrong hockey team and now all I can do is pray for they safe keeping. It's such a sad and sorry time for so many right now. We are sad because we won't be able to buy a Solstice or a Sky next year, I know I was upset because I wanted to get a coupe next year, but now I really see the impact that closing the plant down is having on so many wonderful people. Remember the people who did so much to make our lives so enjoyable by building our cars. Keep them in your prayers.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Yes. Precisely.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I just hope the person who buys the last car really understands what they have. I know what I'd do with that car.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
smarty, I looked for you after the walkthrough but I was told that you'd left. I'll mail your tees out to you...
Michele,
Just bring them in the fall :) He will be there too !!!

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
I just hope the person who buys the last car really understands what they have. I know what I'd do with that car.
It's getting shipped to Texas. I sure hope those Texans know what it's worth. ;)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,426 Posts
When we walked through the plant and were allowed to take pictures, I knew it was totally different....
Dan,

I was just reading your message aloud to Beth, and suddenly I had tears in my eyes and had to take a moment to get back in control. I think you've just said it all the way many of us feel. Thanks.

Dave

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Yes. Michelle (one of the plant employees) offered to lend me her closed toed shoes - she had an extra pair in her locker and was on her way to get them when the manager said it was "OK" for us gals to take the walk through in our sandals.

The abdication of GM's restrictions (which we had all abided by) sunk the reality home.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Dan,

Great words, thanks for coming and for putting into words what many of us were/are feeling. :grouphug:

Mike

21 - 40 of 78 Posts