Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I e-mailed our local dealer and asked for an e-brake adjustment cost, was quoted $120. I then asked what a rear brake job would cost while he was there,I thought my pads may need it. He said well to turn your rotors and replace the pads is an add of $250. Was it because I am a girl? I could do the e-brake myself but time is not my friend. I do not think I need my rotors turned, I have no mech. records and bought the car in May with 52k miles. She runs great and I just want to keep up with regular maintenance. Is this what I should pay. Also after commenting that I did not think I needed rotors turned the pad replace was dropped to $99. Is this what I should be paying, any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
It's about right as far as pricing goes. Do you have any vibration or noise when braking? If so, the rotors will need to be turned/replaced.

Be thankful you don't have a Land Rover.... $1250 for front brakes! $1150 for rear brakes! They don't turn rotors, they replace them!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hmmmmm?

Think they would have to "re-adjust" (reset) the ebrake if they changed the rear pads.

Pad replacement ~ $99
Ebrake adjustment ~ $120

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
I would inspect the pads. Most modern disk brakes should go perhaps twice the mileage you have.

The disks only need to be turned if they are warped, which will give pulsing at the pedal, or if the pads wear down to the rivets and gouge the rotors. If they look good and work well, check the thickness of the remaining pad material. If there is more than an eighth of an inch, then they do not need replacement.

Take the car to a good local brake shop and have them free up the rear pads, then your parking brake will work and save your money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! After talking to two of our motorcycle mechanics who are trustworthy , they have recommended someone local. Thanks for all of the great info, I love this forum! After owning an MG for many years I tend to be leery of mechanics. Now I know what they should do and what is should cost I feel much better.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts