Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've developed a very bad bottom end noise in my '07 GXP (64k miles). I have a very sneaky feeling one of the mains got starved, spun, and now a rod had started banging around. It is quiet and fine under 2200 rpm, but anywhere over that, it starts knocking. Level it off at 2200 and it keeps knocking. Let off the gas and it quiets down again.

I haven't taken it anywhere yet, because the shops I've called and stopped in at (couple of dealers included) all reply with the same basic reply of "We wouldn't really touch anything like that... Now if you had a crate engine ready to swap it out with, we would hop right on it, but it really isn't cost effective for the customer for us to tear it down, identify the bad parts, order new parts, send the rest to a machine shop and wait for it to be sent back, and then finally weeks later rebuild it all. We would tie up valuable real estate with the vehicle during that time and the customer wouldn't want to pay for the time it takes to do that..."

So, that leaves me with a couple of issues:

To make that kind of statement before even hearing the noise tells me I need to go find another shop. Does anyone know of a shop in the Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Green Cove Springs, or even Daytona (North East Florida) area that they implicitly trust to install a new crate LNF or to do a comparably priced LS Conversion.

I know I can call Crate Engine Depot and get a 2.0 LNF shipped, but what "should" it cost me to get it back on the road again, vs what should a LS conversion cost? And I mean in the real world, not one where the the stars all align and I found a low mileage LS3 and transmission for $3k

-=Dave=-

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I know this post is kinda old but as a residnet of Jax there isnt really anywhere to go in the area. You might want to go up to DDM Works

1 - 2 of 2 Posts