Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since we were talking about a spring meet sometime next year, I thought I would go ahead and get a thread going about a particular event which would make a good meet.

Where: Watkins Glen International Raceway, Watkins Glen NY (southern tip of Lake Seneca)

When: Sunday, April 30, 2006.

See here for info: http://www.theglen.com/tickets/

What they have up now:
www.theglen.com said:
Tickets go on sale January 2006.

The season begins with Toyota Opening Day on April 30, marking the advance sale deadline for all race weekend tickets. Fans can once again take on the twists and turns of the famed road course in their own vehicles, or take a ride in a pace car. Proceeds from this event to benefit charity.
I post it now just so people are aware of it, and if people really want to meet, or even just take part on their own they can plan for it.

To summarize what the laps are... they are parade laps. So it's not like you can go tearing through the roadcourse at will. That said, the pace driver will often drive a lot faster than the advertised lap speed, and you can lay back on the straights so you can really zoom through the corners. Generally the cost has been $15 for 3 paced laps, and you can get back in line as many times if you want.

A group of NY Fiero owners have been going the last couple years, and they make a day of it too. They will generally meet beforehand for breakfast in one of the local restaurants, then do the track and shoot the breeze with other enthusiasts with Fieros and other cars, then cruise some of the twisty roads through the finger lakes. Walking the actual Glen is a neat experience too, but it is a hike.

It certainly would be cool to see a good Solstice turnout there. My holding out for a GXP Sol will mean I won't have a Sol yet for the event, but I plan on heading down with my Fiero anyway, and I doubt too many Sol owners will shun me because of it. :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just wanted to bring this up again to remind anyone who was interested in attending, since we are just a little over one month from the event at the Glen. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
This Year's Opening Day Laps

We plan to attend the lap session again this year - first time with a real car that belongs on the track! They are going back to the short course and the cost is up to $20. The money goes to some charity. We'll have to go at least twice, because my wife promised me I can drive her Solstice!

Assuming good weather, we try to get there early - the lines can get pretty long. A lot of clubs meet and then try to get in line together - the problem with that is, the closer to the pace car you are, the harder it is to go fast, so the fun quotient is variable for the group.

That early in the year the State Park is free, so a picnic there or a stop for ice cream (they also have Gelato!) downtown might be in order. A lap of the old road course is always fun, too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm planning to be there! Sounds like fun and it's not too far away. Also it would be good to comune with other Sol owners.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm planning attending based on current schedule, especially since I live less than 40 miles from "the Glen".

·
Registered
34 Posts
We're planning on being there. The photos from the weekend runs has be aching to get the baby out of storage. What's better that one Solstice? Lots of them in the same place!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Watkins Glen - Meet

I'm pretty sure that I will be able to attend as well. My wife and I were just talking about heading down to wine country for a weekend and combining the two events would be great. I'll look for more details as the date approaches.

Woodman :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Place to stay

Made reservations 10.6 miles south of the Glen for April 29 for $40.

here's the link:

:grouphug:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, coming in from Vermont! Should be a fun roadtrip!

Anybody have a suggestion for when Sol owners should be at the track? Whether people want to show up early to meet elsewhere, or stay late elsewhere?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Accomodations...

FYI. My wife and I have reservations for Sat. evening in Geneva at the Ramada Lake Front. Was a little more ($120) but looks really nice. We are planning to visit a couple of the vineyards on the way down to Watkins Glen on Sunday to catch up with whomever can make it down.

Woodman:cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Woodman said:
FYI. My wife and I have reservations for Sat. evening in Geneva at the Ramada Lake Front. Was a little more ($120) but looks really nice. We are planning to visit a couple of the vineyards on the way down to Watkins Glen on Sunday to catch up with whomever can make it down.

Woodman:cool:
Seneca Lake has almost 40 winerys. There are some good ones on the west side, but the best (and largest number) are on the east side on Seneca Lake.
Plenty of info on different web sites....Uncork New York, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any new info for Watkins Glen Meet?

I know its still earlier in the month but any ideas where and when people may want to meet up at Watkins Glen on April 30th? I'm trying to work my schedule around a number of travel soccer playoff games, inlcuding one later in the day on the 30th. Keep us posted.

Thanks!
Woodman
:leaving:

·
Registered
20 Posts
April 30 Watkins Glen

It looks like the weather is going to cooperate so we are still planning on coming. I would love to get a picture of all the solstices together - my husband suggests we all meet at "The Pyramid" at a certain time e.g. noon for a picture? We plan on going to the track for our drive around the track when it opens to avoid long lines. If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm open to it!

Deb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pyramid

The Pyramid is a souvenir stand right in the middle of the track infield, kind of on top of the hill. It's hard to miss. It will be on your left as you enter the track after you go through the tunnel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Planning on getting there early, too.

Roxie said:
It looks like the weather is going to cooperate so we are still planning on coming. I would love to get a picture of all the solstices together - my husband suggests we all meet at "The Pyramid" at a certain time e.g. noon for a picture? We plan on going to the track for our drive around the track when it opens to avoid long lines. If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm open to it!

Deb
Any idea when the gates open?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts