Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a place on this website that is exclusively dedicated to member's road test reviews?

Here at Troy's site, we have the most prolific body of people driving this first-ever sports car and they are getting EXTENSIVE seat time under a wide variety of real-life conditions. I would think by now that we would have a lot more detailed road tests posted by members. Instead, I've seen bits and pieces when people first drive it home, or after waxing it, or half-way through the break in period, or maybe after a short road trip.

Could a forum be added for Member's road tests? (Us non-paying lazy members sure have a lot of ideas that just create a lot of work for Troy and the Moderators!)

Anyway, I would love to see a forum dedicted just to road tests. I would love to see all our members who are driving Solstices add their detailed road tests and say what they think about acceleration, handling, ride, convenience, fuel economy, dealing with the top, dealing with the trunk, their favorite features of the Solstice and what they hate about it. We've had some owners decide to sell their cars because they were disappointed in them. I would be fascinated by a detailed road test from these folks. What were the shortcomings that let them down so badly about this cars.

Other people say this car is absolutely fantastic. I would like to read their unique road tests as well.

I would even love to see comparison tests, such as among members who came to the Solstice from a Miata. Break down the differences between the cars and let us know what their relative strengths and weaknesses are.

I have a dream! (Sorry MLK) and that dream is seeing hundreds of Member's road tests here on the forum so the rest of us can see what is is really like to own and live with this sports car. Am I asking for too much? Bad idea? Good idea? Or am I just nuts? :crazy:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Comfort.......

I think the most important aspect of the car for me is getting in and out. I've owned 6 Miata's over the past 15 years. Getting in and out of a Miata can wear you down during a normal days activities. May seem very minor to some, but user friendly is important to me. The Solstice is very easy on the legs, thighs and back (I'm 42 years old, comfort is like 2nd nature for me). :lol: I've only driven the Solstice during a "Ride and Drive" event, but I was very convinced on the comfort factor!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ntouched said:
I think the most important aspect of the car for me is getting in and out. I've owned 6 Miata's over the past 15 years. Getting in and out of a Miata can wear you down during a normal days activities. May seem very minor to some, but user friendly is important to me. The Solstice is very easy on the legs, thighs and back (I'm 42 years old, comfort is like 2nd nature for me). :lol: I've only driven the Solstice during a "Ride and Drive" event, but I was very convinced on the comfort factor!
Just sitting in it was enough to convince me that it will be quite comfortable for me.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And that is the point of having a "road test forum". People may think the car is comfortable after sitting in it or after a short ride & drive event. But we have dozens of people here who are using their Solstice every day or every weekend and I value their opinions about the car. I would really love for them to offer road tests on every aspect of the car.

Not to discount your opinions, but it is so vital to get the thoughts and experiences of those who are beginning to live with these cars, not just 1st impressions or brief encounters.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
jimbo said:
not just 1st impressions or brief encounters.
You've got a valid point, but those brief encounters can be a wonderful experience! :D

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll bet it was great. I have yet to lay a finger on a Solstice, let along sit in one or turn the hey or shift it.

I am anxious and nervous. I really think a great handling GT coupe is the ideal mile-eating car for me. But this is supposed to replace my motorcycle and I am fairly convinced that only a drop-top can adequately replace that awesome feeling of gliding down the highway on a big cruiser. So I can't wait to test drive a Solstice. I expect that to answer all my questions. Either I will absolutely love it and be swept away by the experience, or I will feel it is cramped and underpowered and hate the noise and exposure of living without a steel roof.

I can't say which way I will feel but I definitely need an extended test drive before I can make my decision. I hope I have a chance to rent one. San Francisco has a few places to rent exotic cars and sports cars and I am praying that someone will offer the Solstice for rent next summer - before I have to decide on a GXP, or a Mustang GT or some other car in my future.

I sure could use those Member Road Tests in the meantine, to alleviate my fears... :willy:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'll be driving 400 miles a week in my Solstice, almost all highway driving thankfully. I'll definitely report back on the comfort level as I'm usually in the car for at least 1.5 hours at a time.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I'll be driving 400 miles a week in my Solstice, almost all highway driving thankfully. I'll definitely report back on the comfort level as I'm usually in the car for at least 1.5 hours at a time.
Sounds like the plans for my Sky (or Sol), so I look forward to your review on the comfort level of longer drives. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
jimbo,

We've talked about something like this. One of the issues with an open forum is the contamination of something like a road test (similar to an article written for a newspaper) with "I think you're wrong" posts. Then, there's the occasional troll that needs to come in and "crap" on the car. Such a forum could turn into another version of the "i'm still waiting for mine" postings.

For a while, we were keeping track of road tests in what we call a "reference thread". An entire forum might be great, or it might be confusing.

One work around might be to have a separate forum, but close it to discussion - just a "collection" of submitted impressions, experiences, etc. without discussion, that get put there by one of us supermods.

I think it could work, and I think it's a great idea, but everyone that uses the forum really needs to chime in on how much they'd like to see it.

SO, what are some other's ideas?

(PS Great job, jimbo :thumbs: )

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SolsticeMan said:
One work around might be to have a separate forum, but close it to discussion - just a "collection" of submitted impressions, experiences, etc. without discussion, that get put there by one of us supermods.
This is what I envisioned - no discussion. I was thinking of "epinions.com" as a model. Just a Forum full of road tests by the folks who actually own and are driving their cars. I don't think discussion would be necessary, since the owner's opinion's are really subject to debate. And if there is some way to create a Form that has only the reviews and no discussions, I think that would be ideal, but I don't know the technical or admistrative headaches that would cause.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
I like this idea, with no commenting allowed. Just review after review. The mods could probably also figure out if the review was just a troll and dump it. Something like this would save a lot of time having to weed through all of the comments. I like it. :thumbs:

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SolsticeMan said:
I think it could work, and I think it's a great idea, but everyone that uses the forum really needs to chime in on how much they'd like to see it.
With a lot of hits, there has been little feedback on this thread so far. If we don't see some in the next couple of days, do you mind if I post a poll asking if people would find any value in a forum with these owner road tests? And if you don't mind, should I wait for word that it is feasible to do technically (to post the road tests without the discussions).

Thanks, S-man.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Just thinking out loud....

Only way we could manage it is to lock the thread after first post. Would have to be a 1 time review, not updatable (except for mistakes mods can change via PM). Not sure where we'd collect them other than an index of some kind that points to each review. Could pin that index up somewhere.

Could have sommon title like "Owner Review - mceb" with your name.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mceb said:
Just thinking out loud....

Only way we could manage it is to lock the thread after first post. Would have to be a 1 time review, not updatable (except for mistakes mods can change via PM). Not sure where we'd collect them other than an index of some kind that points to each review. Could pin that index up somewhere.

Could have sommon title like "Owner Review - mceb" with your name.
Well, if these were posted in a new, separate forum then you would not need a separte index. The owners could simply post their thread under "Marco's Road Test" or "mceb's Road Test", etc.

Locking each post immediately sounds like it would work perfectly, if it does not create too much work for you. I don't think the posts have to be able to be updated. Any owner could post an updated road test in the same forum to provide their latest thoughts about the cars. Since it will be in order of date, from newest to oldest, you would always have the most current post available 1st.

I like your idea of locking each road test after each post. I just wish there was a way to automate it so you don't have to go through all the work.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Actually your idea isn't bad either jimbo. We can "merge" threads so as each person does their review we can pull it into main locked thread.

I'll get it started later tonight. Either way it wil start with a new topic from each owner with a review.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent! That will work fine. You are not a Supermoderator for nothing. :cool:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks MCEB! I started writing a a rather lengthy impression a couple of weeks ago until my PC decided to do a shut down and I lost the thing. Someday when I get in the mood I'll put something together.

·
Registered
854 Posts
jimbo said:
Is there a place on this website that is exclusively dedicated to member's road test reviews?

Here at Troy's site, we have the most prolific body of people driving this first-ever sports car and they are getting EXTENSIVE seat time under a wide variety of real-life conditions. I would think by now that we would have a lot more detailed road tests posted by members. Instead, I've seen bits and pieces when people first drive it home, or after waxing it, or half-way through the break in period, or maybe after a short road trip.

Could a forum be added for Member's road tests? (Us non-paying lazy members sure have a lot of ideas that just create a lot of work for Troy and the Moderators!)

Anyway, I would love to see a forum dedicted just to road tests. I would love to see all our members who are driving Solstices add their detailed road tests and say what they think about acceleration, handling, ride, convenience, fuel economy, dealing with the top, dealing with the trunk, their favorite features of the Solstice and what they hate about it. We've had some owners decide to sell their cars because they were disappointed in them. I would be fascinated by a detailed road test from these folks. What were the shortcomings that let them down so badly about this cars.

Other people say this car is absolutely fantastic. I would like to read their unique road tests as well.

I would even love to see comparison tests, such as among members who came to the Solstice from a Miata. Break down the differences between the cars and let us know what their relative strengths and weaknesses are.

I have a dream! (Sorry MLK) and that dream is seeing hundreds of Member's road tests here on the forum so the rest of us can see what is is really like to own and live with this sports car. Am I asking for too much? Bad idea? Good idea? Or am I just nuts? :crazy:
So far the only real paces the car has been through is up on Palomar mountain in San Diego.

I'm waiting to get some feedback from SCCA racers in Solo 2, EXPERIENCED drivers on the handlig dynamics of the car. Former Miata, MR2, Porsche owners. :lurk:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts