Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today was the day I finally got to see a Solstice; sit in one and talk to the team who are handling the show. I could not be any happier. The car is FANTASTIC, beyound my wildest dreams. The seat fits like a glove, everyone was right, your hand automaticly goes to the shifter, a very comforatble feeling. The exhaust sound is better than expected, does not sound like a 4 cylinder. I followed one of them to the gas station, he chirped the tires when shifting to 2nd and 3rd, said he wasn't even getting on it.
They of course are pre production models but still made me drool, some fit issues, but not as bad as some explained in previous posts.
The gentleman running the show has invited me tomorrow and may even be able to get me a ride. I have no expectation of sleeping tonight at all. :willy:

·
Registered
152 Posts
why can't they do something like this in Indianapolis?? Or close by?

·
Registered
135 Posts
fak429 said:
Well, today was the day I finally got to see a Solstice; sit in one and talk to the team who are handling the show. I could not be any happier. The car is FANTASTIC, beyound my wildest dreams. The seat fits like a glove, everyone was right, your hand automaticly goes to the shifter, a very comforatble feeling. The exhaust sound is better than expected, does not sound like a 4 cylinder. I followed one of them to the gas station, he chirped the tires when shifting to 2nd and 3rd, said he wasn't even getting on it.
They of course are pre production models but still made me drool, some fit issues, but not as bad as some explained in previous posts.
The gentleman running the show has invited me tomorrow and may even be able to get me a ride. I have no expectation of sleeping tonight at all. :willy:
Where's the event taking place?

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is in Mesa at the convention center, I am also wanting to go but must work and can't get there until 430 thurs. I have Friday off. Damn deadlines!
Can anyone tell me when they will wrap this event up?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
fak429 said:
How did you see it today? Just see one on the road, or what? My understanding was that it is Thursday and Friday. And did they tell you the hours?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The show is for Thursday and Friday, but I figured they would need to set up, so I took a chance and drove by. The crew was washing the cars when i got there this afternoon.
The show starts inside at 830am tomorrow and will be going to the outside by 9 - 930am. The outside portion is at the north parking lot which runs along University just east of Center.

·
Registered
184 Posts
hmmmm - only about 5 hrs from Vegas.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sol's in Mesa, Az tomorrow 9/2 !!!!!

I was there at the ride and drive, it is only for the pontiac sales people. Although the person running did say he can give you a ride in the car but he can not let you drive one if your not a sales person. They had 3 or 4 cars there that the were driving around a small track. I finally got to see what sly looks like in person and it looked great. They didnt have thta color in Detroit when i was there last month.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Anyone know how late in the day they will be there? I can't walk out on my students, they frown on teachers that ditch school! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep - I stopped by as well, and have to say that everyone was 100% correct !!! To see this car in person and take a ride is AWESOME. My dealer took me for a spin, since he was there for the event. I am supposed to have mine this weekend, so we shall see.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
JoePA96 said:
Yep - I stopped by as well, and have to say that everyone was 100% correct !!! To see this car in person and take a ride is AWESOME. My dealer took me for a spin, since he was there for the event. I am supposed to have mine this weekend, so we shall see.
You gonna be giving rides? :D Or at least letting us meet you some place to see it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sure thing. I will let you know when I get it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got back from the event, was a day I will always remember. I was able to follow a group around and listen to the presentations. Being with this forum for months on end it was amazing at the level of knowledge I had compared to those attending the Ride and Drive. About the only issue I was unfamiliar with was with the drain system for the top. Gotta give that engineer a thumbs up for that desighn ( I hope).
I was able to obtain my own copy of the Event Workbook which will go with all my other paperwork for this vehicle.
The best part of the day was to get a ride from one of the guys who needed to take one out for some gas. he asked what color I ordered when I told him, he proceeded to get that color, said the least he could do was to drive me around in the color I ordered. Was great, could not begin to discribe the amount of attention this car got while we were out. We drove around for about 45 minutes. Well worth the vacation time I took to see this car.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
JoePA96 said:
Thanks JoePa96, I'm not sure if I will be able to get away tomorrow to see the the ride and drive, and I really want to see one because it's going to be a long while before mine comes! ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
A dozen Solstices in Mesa today,,,,,

I just returned home from looking at the new Solstices at the Mesa, Az Pontiac Dealers Ride and Drive event. About a dozen of them to see there,,,and GM brought along a Mazda Miata and a Honda S2000 to compare with.

I'm sure these are "test mule pilot cars",,,,but as somebody above mentioned, there are some issues with fit [especially the front nose lines lining up with the hood section]. Also,,,,many had quite a bit [actually severe] of color shade difference between the nose and the hood pieces. Paint looks good,,,no orange peel. Interiors were really nice!! All of the soft tops were up,,,,as a monsoon dust storm and rain was approaching real fast into the Mesa area. I was able to take about 20 pictures, but haven't figured out your website yet as to how to upload pics.

For those in the Phx/Mesa area who might want to see them on friday,,,,,,,,,,

E. University Drive & N. Center Streets in downtown Mesa - southeast corner,,there is a big parking lot with cones set up there for driving. Look for the Marriott Hotel and the Pier de Orleans restaurant,,,,you are there.

My honest opinion - the car looks great,,,especially for the money. Will sell as many as they can build! Hope to have one next spring.

·
2,574 Posts
fak429 said:
Just got back from the event, was a day I will always remember. I was able to follow a group around and listen to the presentations. Being with this forum for months on end it was amazing at the level of knowledge I had compared to those attending the Ride and Drive. About the only issue I was unfamiliar with was with the drain system for the top. Gotta give that engineer a thumbs up for that desighn ( I hope).
I was able to obtain my own copy of the Event Workbook which will go with all my other paperwork for this vehicle.
The best part of the day was to get a ride from one of the guys who needed to take one out for some gas. he asked what color I ordered when I told him, he proceeded to get that color, said the least he could do was to drive me around in the color I ordered. Was great, could not begin to discribe the amount of attention this car got while we were out. We drove around for about 45 minutes. Well worth the vacation time I took to see this car.

I had the same experience at the Boston area R&D. The guy's name was Matt I picked a red one and boy did we get attention. Matt was from Az,don't know if it was the same guy but all the staff were first rate. I loved it and was reassured about picking Aggressive. Your post brings back great memories.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've been to the mountain top...I've seen the promised land.
Solstice, how do I love thee, let me count the ways...until today it was puppy love, but now it's "I can't live without you love".
Okay, I will quit waxing poetic. I took a chance and drove to the ride and drive late this evening. There they were all lined up in a row. No one was there except a securiy guard, and she let me look. Obviously I didn't get to sit in one because they were locked up. But everything everyone has said about seeing them in person is so true. The car is much better looking in person. They were even dirty because of a monsoon storm this afternoon, and they still looked great. Seeing the cars in person would not have helped me make the decision about color, because they all look great. I think even the pure looks good, but I've always kinda liked white cars. I think the wrinkles in the top are something that is not really noticeable, you're too enthralled with the car. Some guys stopped while I was there and asked me if I knew anything about them. They asked if they cost about 35k, and when I told them how much they looked shocked. If I can somehow get away tomorrow earlier, I will see if I can at least sit in one. Otherwise I'm gonna take JoePa96 up on seeing his after he gets it. The tough thing about this is that I'm gonna have to settle myself down and realize that I still have a long wait. It will be much harder now. Maybe I could talk a doctor into putting me in a drug induced coma until my Sol gets here. :D

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Just a little addendum: I kinda wondered why they didn't hold this event at the GM proving grounds? Maybe because they want them where they will be seen? It was funny watching people rubber-necking as they drove by!

·
Registered
152 Posts
JoePA96 said:
pics! pics!! pics!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Friday Event Times?

What would the start and end times be for the Friday event?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts