Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I had a brake light on, so I went to a local dealer here in NJ.
They recommended changing the rotors, pads & a flush.

I just asked them to flush of the brakes that solved brake light problem and asked them to do an oil change.

while taking the car in i did not have the check engine light on. On the way out i noticed the light and took it right back. Diagnosis reveals that the Mass flow sensor is messed up and a new one is to set me back by $280.
The attitude of the dealer isn't encouraging but I am going to escalate that matter.

Question to you folks is could that in anyway be related to the oil change ?
excess oil ends up on the sensor. Will cleaning solve it ?

Really appreciate your comments.
Thanks,
UC

·
Registered
138 Posts
The vent hose is down stream from the MAF so I dont think it s oil on the sensor.

My guess is the checked the air filter and the plastic nipple for the vent valve broke and your taking air in behind the MAF.

This should be an easy thing for you to check. If it broken then I would make them replace it. If its not it may just have been coincidence that the MAF died, but buy it online (CED or GPD should have it cheap) and install yourself. Its a 5-20 minute job and you'll only need a 7mm socket with extension, a philips #2 screw driver, maybe a 10mm socket, and a 6er of you favorite beer.

--Christian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the details Christian, I will it first thing in the light tomorrow.

P.S. started with the yuengling ..

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If you need the elbow with the nipple, get the DDM one. You'll never have to change it again...

LNF Intake tube

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi everyone,

I had a brake light on, so I went to a local dealer here in NJ.
They recommended changing the rotors, pads & a flush.

I just asked them to flush of the brakes that solved brake light problem and asked them to do an oil change.

while taking the car in i did not have the check engine light on. On the way out i noticed the light and took it right back. Diagnosis reveals that the Mass flow sensor is messed up and a new one is to set me back by $280.
The attitude of the dealer isn't encouraging but I am going to escalate that matter.

Question to you folks is could that in anyway be related to the oil change ?
excess oil ends up on the sensor. Will cleaning solve it ?

Really appreciate your comments.
Thanks,
UC
Your concern is certainly understandable. If you're having an issue with your dealership and getting the car repaired, I would be happy to look into it for you. Please send a PM with your VIN#, name, situation, dealership name, and contact information. I hope all is resolved quickly for you. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a 2006 - 2.4 L solstice. Visual inspection seems like everything is in order. I have posted a shot i took this morning.

Would you agree ? So I have to replace the Mass Air flow sensor which is the part I have highlighted in RED correct ? Sorry for the NOOB questions.

Is this a good replacement ? Amazon.com: ACDelco 213-4222 OE Service Mass Air Flow Sensor: Automotive

any help much appreciated.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
The first thing I would try would be to disconnect the connector, and check all the wires and connectors to make sure they are properly inserted into the connector, and then reconnect to the MAF, making sure all the connectors make proper contact.

It may be nothing more than a bad contact.

If the dealer checked the air cleaner media while doing the oil change they may have dislodged one or more of the wires.

Who knows? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Also: pull the MAF and clean it with MAF cleaner. Spray the the sensor liberally, let it air dry and reinstall. DO NOT TOUCH the sensor element with anything, or your hand. Just spray it out with the MAF cleaner.

The Sensor very seldom actually goes bad. However, it is extremely sensitive to the smallest piece of debris getting stuck on it. It is not uncommon for service to check or change the air filter and in the process a little bit of fuzz or dust ends up on the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree w cleaning first. Cheap, easy, and usually solves it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing just happened to me! I cleaned the MAF and i started to work again but now the same issues are coming back. Does that mean i should replace it or just clean it again?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The same thing just happened to me! I cleaned the MAF and i started to work again but now the same issues are coming back. Does that mean i should replace it or just clean it again?
What Rob said.... Have you changed to a CAI? If so, oiled air cleaners will foul the MAF. If you used an oiled air cleaner, a new MAF isn't going to help. You will have to find a non-oiled air cleaner....I believe AEM sells them. You might even have to take it to extremes and clean the inside of your CAI if there is enough oil residue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts