Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of this came up last week. My solstice GXP was rear-ended pretty hard. It split the entire back bumper. It also pushed the driver's side exhaust pipe back on to itself so the pipe was doubled up. It still has an opening, but it's suddenly shorter and ever-so-slightly bent upwards pushing all of that super hot exhaust INSIDE the actual vehicle body. The bumper cover right above it is literally melting away.

AND the trapped hot air under the body means engine overheating, too.

For a little while now I've had the camshaft position actuator light on. This is the SECOND time this has happened - the first one was corrected by the dealer. It has been on roughly a month this time. (Please note I may use sensor and actuator interchangeably, since the actuator IS a sensor as well).

I decided to check it out myself because at 126,000 miles, it's well beyond warranty. So I got out the ratchet and took out the screws, and pulled the actuators up. Both of them.

They BOTH have lots of metal shavings on them! The one actually giving errors on DTC has so much metal shavings piled up, the entire middle section of screen is completely clogged. Heh, no wonder it's rough idling!

The oil filter ALSO has metal shavings on it. I don't yet see evidence of metal in the oil drainage, but I would guess that the clogged oil filter kept it from getting back into the engine.

Could the bad sensors be causing the knocking, by not adjusting the camshaft position correctly? Or do you think it's much worse? Do you think the engine is pretty much screwed at this point (at least without expensive repairs) or do you think simply "rinsing" the area out with fresh oil, and replacing the actuators will fix it?

I'm not too much of a car person, but I LOVE this car, and these new computerized things are really throwing me off. The metal shavings really have me stressed though, and I'm fearing the worst. But then I read an old problem/solution that said GM suggested just cleaning out the metal shavings and drive on. Not exactly that, but close.

And could the overheating actually have caused something to melt just enough to put shavings in to the engine?

I just know that the GXP engine is so finely tuned, even a small mistake or difference could mean disaster. And it's my fault for letting my sister use the vehicle last year while I was in the hospital, and the oil changes not being done properly. I'm just PRAYING this isn't the end of my car. A non-working disabled veteran doesn't have much to buy a new car with!

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Each cam has a position acutater and a position senser

Metal shavings are never a good thing. Change the oil and have the oil analyzed. They can tell if its rings, bearings or from the block. Hopefully its not a sign of impending doom

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Good luck !

Hate to say it but when the insurance adjustors looks at that baby
they're probably going to call it a total loss.
Hope the other guy had insurance.

And thanks for your service. :patriot:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts