Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help, as you can see i have bought Methyl hydrate which is a 99% solution. Can i use this the same way as the denatured alcohol, with a ratio of 29oz water and 3oz methyl hydrate...Ive looked at wally world, Home Depot here in canada and cant find the denatured alcohol.

They say that the methyl hydrate is ok for windows, but at what strength??

·
Registered
560 Posts
I need some help, as you can see i have bought Methyl hydrate which is a 99% solution. Can i use this the same way as the denatured alcohol, with a ratio of 29oz water and 3oz methyl hydrate...Ive looked at wally world, Home Depot here in canada and cant find the denatured alcohol.

They say that the methyl hydrate is ok for windows, but at what strength??
You should be able to get denatured alcohol at any pharmacy store like Walgreens, CVS, Brooks, and Walmart. Do you not have any of these stores, or are they limited to the U.S.?

·
Registered
572 Posts
You should be able to get denatured alcohol at any pharmacy store like Walgreens, CVS, Brooks, and Walmart. Do you not have any of these stores, or are they limited to the U.S.?
I think that there is a tribe just north of where he is and have a medicine man that might have it.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
look in the paint isle of your home depot. they sell it by the gallon in a tin canister. It's red/blue and says alcohol on the front. (at least they used to) it's near the paint stripper and wood stripper, etc. junk. It'll be about $10. Not cheap, but it's straight ethanol with sulphates to keep you from downing the hooch. lol.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Also, walmart has the most powerful window wiper fluid Methanol/Water mix. It'll work for cheap on an injection system... I believe it's 30/70 meth/water. it'll most likely be pinkish.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I was told that denatured alcohol was used to make crystal meth. I guess I'll get looks when in the local walmart buying it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks sol man for the link. I guess my hooch is a bit strong will look for the denatured alcohol again here in canada..
I think what you're looking for is Isopropyl, and the cheapest place to get it is any dollar store here in BC anyhow.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Dude - 10 year old thread.

Also, denatured alcohol is what rain-X is. Cleans well and causes the water to bead up and stream off.
Almost. The alcohols do clean the glass, but the active ingredients are silicones that waterproof the glass - those are the chemicals that make the water run off.

I used to use it on a TVR race car I had - I didn't race in the rain by choice, but where I live, rain tends to happen, sometimes half way through a race, and the coating let me run without wipers and associated equipment.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I used to use Rain-X, years ago, but I found that you HAVE to keep applying it every few weeks. If you don't, as it "wears" off, it starts getting a greasy/smear effect that is far worse than not using it at all.

Maybe it's changed now, but I haven't used it since.

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
Yes, you still have to apply it regularly. It is really just a wax, and won't last forever, especially if you use your windshield wipers. Even at that it improves vision enough to be totally worthwhile to me. I usually use the two-in-one product that includes a glass cleaner. Its only ingredients according to the MSDS are acetone and water.

Rain-X doesn't actually contain silicone, the original formula contains ethanol, acetone, isopropanol, and water.

My only complaint is that, because of our horrible aerodynamics, it doesn't work as well on the Sky as it does on just about anything else I have driven.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Rain-X doesn't actually contain silicone, the original formula contains ethanol, acetone, isopropanol, and water.
Current formulation has polydimethylsoloxanes.

https://www.wired.com/2010/06/st_whatsinside_rainx/

Not disputing that that might not always have been so - heck, my wife picked up bottle of Drano the other day, which used to contain mostly sodium hydroxide and it is now enzymes, dye to make it look nice and fragrances to make it smell nice, and I bet it doesn't work nearly as well!

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
Current formulation has polydimethylsoloxanes.

https://www.wired.com/2010/06/st_whatsinside_rainx/

Not disputing that that might not always have been so - heck, my wife picked up bottle of Drano the other day, which used to contain mostly sodium hydroxide and it is now enzymes, dye to make it look nice and fragrances to make it smell nice, and I bet it doesn't work nearly as well!
Curious that the MSDS posted on the ITW website (https://www.rainx.com/safety-data-sheets/) doesn't include polydimethylsoloxane as an ingredient.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,782 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
PDMS is listed as the main component by everyone except Rain-X. I just don't understand how it can be an ingredient and not be listed in the MSDS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts