Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Miami Beach Auto Show opened yesterday. I went today to get a glimpse of the Solstice (and a few other cars) since I ordered my car in June and to this day have only seen one in person.

Unfortunately, the Pontiac group did a rather poor job of presenting the Solstice. I have been waiting for this car going on 7 months and on this forum nearly every weekday, and yet I managed to walk right past the Pontiac area when I first entered the convention center. This was no doubt due in part to my own absentmindedness, but it didn't help that the Solstice was tucked away in the back and rather lacklusterly displayed.

There was only one Solstice on hand, an Aggressive with Ebony, twirling slowly on a raised carousel and roped off. Visitors were unable to approach it and look inside up close, let alone sit in it. There were many people on hand who appreciated the looks but were disappointed they couldn't sit in it. The only other cars roped off this way were $100K cars and concept cars. It was really disappointing that Pontiac only had one Solstice on display and didn't allow visitors to get inside and scope it out. (There were at least two MX-5 on display by Mazda, both of which were open to sit in.)

Nevertheless, I enjoyed seeing another Solstice in person, but I think Pontiac (or at least the organizers of Pontiac's display area) dropped the ball on this one...

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow, surprised they still aren't letting people sit in them. For those around this forum long enough that was one of my big pet peeves last winter/spring :brentil:

Later at shows I did notice some of the other model cars that have been out for a while also had roped off cars too (Nissan, S2000) but other let you sit in them (Miata, TT, Z4). Not sure why they choose to rope 'em off once they are in production.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
mceb said:
Wow, surprised they still aren't letting people sit in them. For those around this forum long enough that was one of my big pet peeves last winter/spring :brentil:

Later at shows I did notice some of the other model cars that have been out for a while also had roped off cars too (Nissan, S2000) but other let you sit in them (Miata, TT, Z4). Not sure why they choose to rope 'em off once they are in production.
Could be to keep their pristine show car from getting dirty or smudged with fingerprints so it looks stunning for everybody who sees it.

But with all the demo cars out there, I would think they could have one roped off on a carousel to look pretty and another car tucked back a bit that people could actually sit in. It doesn't really make sense why they wouldn't do that at this point.

·
Registered
165 Posts
newfan said:
The Miami Beach Auto Show opened yesterday. I went today to get a glimpse of the Solstice (and a few other cars) since I ordered my car in June and to this day have only seen one in person.

There was only one Solstice on hand, an Aggressive with Ebony, twirling slowly on a raised carousel and roped off. Visitors were unable to approach it and look inside up close, let alone sit in it. ...

Your lucky, I ordered a Sol and have never even seen one in person. The reason the car at the show was roped off was probley because it belonged to someone and has to be delivered yet.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Saturn should have the SKY on that show as well.

·
5,600 Posts
I'll be annoyed if I can't sit in a Solstice at an auto show, after being allowed to DRIVE 4 different Sols at the autoshow in motion.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
SlySol said:
Could be to keep their pristine show car from getting dirty or smudged with fingerprints so it looks stunning for everybody who sees it.

But with all the demo cars out there, I would think they could have one roped off on a carousel to look pretty and another car tucked back a bit that people could actually sit in. It doesn't really make sense why they wouldn't do that at this point.

To hide the cheap plastic HAHAHA!!!!

sorry I could not resist

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I saw a Sky a week ago at an air show and it was roped off, but you could get close enough to get a good look at everything (well,after you pushed your way through the croud).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was also a Saturn Sky on display. It too was roped off, although you could get closer to it than the Solstice because it was not on a carousel.

dealernut said:
To hide the cheap plastic HAHAHA!!!!
I hate to be a cynic since I've ordered the car, but my impression was similar, that the Solstice was kept behind ropes to avoid too much scrutiny. For example, who at Pontiac would want a prospective buyer taking a look at the trunk space? I had the impression that the Solstice was kept off access so that visitors wouldn't notice its flaws...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
newfan said:
I hate to be a cynic since I've ordered the car, but my impression was similar, that the Solstice was kept behind ropes to avoid too much scrutiny. For example, who at Pontiac would want a prospective buyer taking a look at the trunk space? I had the impression that the Solstice was kept off access so that visitors wouldn't notice its flaws...
Seems unlikely. Many are now showing up at dealerships and in the hands of customers. There's no way to hide any "flaws". And with the number of pre orders that they have, I don't think they're too worried about "putting off" potential buyers. The trunk space, or lack thereof, is well documented so trying to hide it would be foolish. You could say that, when it comes to the trunk, there's nothing to hide! :D
I think it's more likely that they want the maximum number of people possible to see the car, and if people are allowed to sit in them, that won't happen.

·
5,641 Posts
GM's general policy for close to production but non-production spec vehicles is to have them roped off or on a turn table/stand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts