·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
At first glance as the thread loaded, my mind flashed "BMW Z3". :rofl:

It's not bad, but I'd agree the Solstice is much better from a "looks" perspective.

I'd be willing to bet the Miata would have a little bit larger cargo capacity, everything else being about equal between the new Miata and the Sol coupe.

:dunno:

·
Registered
350 Posts
from the back it looks like something from the movie "cars"...the cartoons...has dopey looking eyes(tail lights) didn't like the BWM version either. This one looks like it should seat 4.

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Will it still have 50/50 weight distribution?
And isn't Solstice with edag top a one fine Shooting Brake?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
So what does "shooting brake" refer to? I'm not familiar with the term.
Shooting-brake (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):

Shooting-brake is a car body style that has evolved through several distinct meanings over its history.

Shooting-brake originated as an early 19th century British term for a vehicle used to carry shooting parties with their equipment and game. The term brake was initially a chassis used to break in horses — and was subsequently used to describe a motorized vehicle.

The term was later applied to custom-built wagons by high-end coachbuilders and subsequently became synonymous with station wagon or estate.

In contemporary usage, the term shooting-brake has broadened to include a range of vehicles from five-door station wagons — to three-door models combining features of a wagon and a coupé.

In 2006, The New York Times said the shooting-brake was conceived "to take gentlemen on the hunt with their firearms and dogs." and "although [its] glory days came before World War II, and it has faded from the scene in recent decades, the body style is showing signs of a renaissance as automakers seek to invent (or reinvent) new kinds of vehicles for consumers constantly on the hunt for the next new thing." In 2014, Lawrence Ulrich of the New York Times said the shooting-brake is "essentially a two-door station wagon."

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like a Solstice with the EDAG top.
It does. I prefer the rear treatment on the Mazda, though. And I expect that they have a heck of a lot more room back there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would prefer any one of your fleet of cars!!!! I regard this Miata Coupe Concept as unfortunate. There may be many who like this shape, unfortunately, I believe it would be a low volume model, if produced. Their roadster concept, M5, looks like an updated Solstice, and I believe that it will sell well. I continue to admire and enjoy my Solstice that was manufactured in July 2005!!! The wait for delivery (Sept 2005) was painful.......

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree that they probably wouldn't make a lo of these coupes if they decided to put them into production. The hard top that lowers into the back, that the current model has would suit more people.

The BMW Z3 coupe only attained about 5,000. They looked a lot like this Mazda styling exercise.

The similar Jensen GT only attained around 500 total production.

The highest production of this sort of body style was probably the Volvo 1800ES at around 8,000

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
One of my all-time favourite car designs was the Lancia HPE (High Performance Estate). It was based on the Lancia Beta, I sooo drooled over that car when I was a young-un. Not sure why, it just floated my boat.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Shooting-brake (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):

Shooting-brake is a car body style that has evolved through several distinct meanings over its history.

Shooting-brake originated as an early 19th century British term for a vehicle used to carry shooting parties with their equipment and game. The term brake was initially a chassis used to break in horses — and was subsequently used to describe a motorized vehicle.

The term was later applied to custom-built wagons by high-end coachbuilders and subsequently became synonymous with station wagon or estate.

In contemporary usage, the term shooting-brake has broadened to include a range of vehicles from five-door station wagons — to three-door models combining features of a wagon and a coupé.

In 2006, The New York Times said the shooting-brake was conceived "to take gentlemen on the hunt with their firearms and dogs." and "although [its] glory days came before World War II, and it has faded from the scene in recent decades, the body style is showing signs of a renaissance as automakers seek to invent (or reinvent) new kinds of vehicles for consumers constantly on the hunt for the next new thing." In 2014, Lawrence Ulrich of the New York Times said the shooting-brake is "essentially a two-door station wagon."
But usually only the 3-doors are called Shooting Brakes though...

·
Registered
7,467 Posts

I'll go w/the historic 55-57 Pontiac Safari name.

As far as a new Miata coupe, I keep reading conflicting reports, including a retractable hardtop similar to the last generation. The extra weight that a hardtop would add seems to be the main sticking point since so much time and effort was put into lightning the new platform.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts