Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall a few requests for "what are the production numbers for miata", and don't recall ever seeing an answer. I found the info below, that gives us a general idea.

seems they've averaged 50K cars a year for 14 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: source = miatajim at MF:

Quick google turs up this:
Mazda builds 700,000th Miata

Hiroshima, Japan - Mazda Motor Corporation marked a significant production milestone on March 5 as the 700,000th Mazda Roadster (known as Miata and MX-5 in other markets) rolled off the assembly line at the Ujina No. 1 plant near Mazda's headquarters in Hiroshima, Japan. Vehicle number 700,000, powered by the new 1.8-litre turbocharged, 178-horsepower engine and painted Velocity Red Mica, will be shipped to the U.S. market. This milestone was achieved 14 years and 11 months after the original Mazda Roadster was launched in April 1989 and further extends the company's world record for production volume of a two-seat convertible sports car.

In May 2000, the Mazda Roadster was recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's top-selling two-seater roadster with a cumulative production volume of 500,000 units. To mark the new production milestone, Mazda will re-apply with the Guinness organization in an effort to reestablish the record.

The Mazda Roadster debuted at the Chicago Auto Show in February 1989, was launched in the United States in May of the same year and then rolled out in markets throughout the world. The Mazda Roadster debuted in Japan in September 1989.

Since launch, the Roadster has captured more than 100 international automotive awards, including two key awards in the United States: "Automobile of the Year" by Automobile Magazine and one of Car and Driver magazine's 10Best Cars.
ENDQUOTE

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thats a lot of roadsters, averaging just under 47,000 per year, over 15 years (14 yr 11 mo from the article).

You haven't seen any year by year breakdown for US sales, have you? I am sure not all of them come to the US, and I have seen indications that sales in recent years have been around the 10,000 unit mark. I wonder how accurate the 10K a year figure is.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Found this site which only goes up to 1997. Lots of break downs of colors but pure production numbers by month/year are near bottom of page. They did some really great years 1990, 1991 when it first came out.

http://www.miata.net/faq/production.html

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good find mceb!

so, i wonder, is 20K units for the sol optomisitic?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
RODEO said:
good find mceb!

so, i wonder, is 20K units for the sol optomisitic?
Yes when you consider Sol's 20k it's below the worst year's Miata numbers in years 1990-97. They sold 95,000 that first full year (but much less competition back then in roadsters).

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mceb said:
Yes when you consider Sol's 20k it's below the worst year's Miata numbers in years 1990-97. They sold 95,000 that first full year (but much less competition back then in roadsters).
yeah, but is sol selling internationally? that would be a factor, no?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
RODEO said:
yeah, but is sol selling internationally? that would be a factor, no?
Miata is huge internationally. 3rd kappa is going to Europe, maybe Australia someday but it's not as widespread as Miata. Once they get all the kappas rolling in a couple more years, GM could do well with combined kappa numbers.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Found this site which only goes up to 1997.
Second chart, below the first shows 1998 through 2003. These numbers seem to reflect just the US sold (but possibly Canada as well) numbers as the total through 2003 is 309,305 yet the article says on March 5, 2004 they had made a total of 700,000 for world wide sale. Makes reference to site "Miatas in America". So, from that, appears that US buys roughly half the Miatas made.

(As an aside, off topic, it seems to confirm what I heard at the carshow, that the tan vinyl top is an option, bundled with the tan leather interior option.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts