Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miata could be moving up their timeframe for the new NC. Gonna be an interesting summer/fall for roadsters.

From Miata.net forum....
One more thing. Due to the current Miata production being shut down because of the fire at the plant, Mazda says that we may see the NC earleir than originally planned. Dealers were supposed to start getting them around September but now it may be July. Let's hope they actually do get to ramp up production a little earlier.
Link to thread if you need it (long, this is on page 13)
Miata Forum Page

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I would have thought Mazda would try to get them out a little earlier than September anyway. What is with all these companies wanting to introduce new roadsters heading into fall! :crazy

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It's probably a nice smoke screen that actually means "the Solstice is coming out in the USA at that time, we don't want it getting all our perspective customers."

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
This announcement could be just a way to remind people that are all excited about the Solstice and Sky that there is a new Miata on the way. I'll bet Mazda's real concerned that with the Solstice and then Sky, many of the potential NC buyers will be happily motoring along by the time Mazda gets the new Miata out. They are no doubt not used to any real competitors, so they have to be nervous. If they are smart, they would make sure to have a production prototype ready for NAIAS debut, or they could have a lousy launch. There are only so many roadster buyers, and the Solstice and Sky are going to suck lots of them up.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
This announcement could be just a way to remind people that are all excited about the Solstice and Sky that there is a new Miata on the way. I'll bet Mazda's real concerned that with the Solstice and then Sky, many of the potential NC buyers will be happily motoring along by the time Mazda gets the new Miata out. They are no doubt not used to any real competitors, so they have to be nervous. If they are smart, they would make sure to have a production prototype ready for NAIAS debut, or they could have a lousy launch. There are only so many roadster buyers, and the Solstice and Sky are going to suck lots of them up.
Mazda really needs to get their Miata out on the show circuit soon to build excitement for it! GM has been stealing the roadster thunder over the last couple years with the Solstice and now Sky.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Mazda really needs to get their Miata out on the show circuit soon to build excitement for it! GM has been stealing the roadster thunder over the last couple years with the Solstice and now Sky.
Very different strategies since Mazda already has a couple of models for sale. It will be very interesting to see if sales of the new Miata pick up and by how much.

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
Lets turn this around and say, maybe GM knows a few things about the NC and that is the reason for all the mistery about the Solstice, remember SM/BOB said there were a few surprises yet to come.
I personally do not think the NC will have the looks, that makes the Solstice/SKY such (fill in your favorite adjective) to want to make you say "I want that CAR".

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AJC said:
Mazda is planning on putting the Rotary engine in the Miata.
I have seen conflicting reports on this. Some have speculated Mazda will have the rotary as an option, others have dismissed it.

I am not sure if I would want it with the rotary motor. It’s a fine piece of engineering, but like the Honda S2K motor you have to rev the snot out of it to get to its power. I just don’t generally enjoy those kinds of engines that much, based on the roads I normally drive (mostly city/urban). I’d rather Mazda go with the 2.3L turbo (270+ HP) that they are putting in the Mazdaspeed6 before doing a rotary.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just think the Rotary engine is approx 250 HP. The RX-8 3,000 lb car 0 - 60 in 6 sec. The Miata 2,500 lbs should be around 5 sec 0 - 60. :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Oh, I don’t doubt that the Rotary is a good engine to offer in the car. I am sure there are a number of Miata fans who would love to see it in the Miata for many reasons. Better center of gravity, lower weight, good power. Its just a little shy on low end power for my tastes, but it would make the Miata a fearsome track car.

Official stats on the RX-8 Rennessis motor:

238 HP @ 8500 RPM :)eek)
159 HP @ 5500 RPM

Track times for the RX-8 seem to all hover right around 6 seconds to 60, and mid 14 quarter miles. Curb weight is 3053 (per intellichoice).

·
Registered
533 Posts
AJC said:
Mazda is planning on putting the Rotary engine in the Miata.
Current consenus is a 2.0 liter piston engine with up to 180HP. One magazine reported that Mazda North America hinted at a V6 for a future Mazdaspeed version. Here is the latest magazine guess at the car's appearance:

http://www.userweb.suscom.net/~95redmiata/French2.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the miata DOES look like any of those photoshopped images, it had better be a damn good drive to make up for its looks. Which I'm sure it will be.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Personally that first red image at the top of the page doesn't look to bad too me. It's got a couple slight issues with me, but it's nothing a body kit wont fix, or just replacing a couple panels. Same with the Solstice/Sky, they both have a couple little things I don't like about them, but those are easily changed or even lived with.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brentil said:
Personally that first red image at the top of the page doesn't look to bad too me.
Yup, the first one (orange/red with the girl driving) looks the best.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
inspector16 said:
If the miata DOES look like any of those photoshopped images, it had better be a damn good drive to make up for its looks. Which I'm sure it will be.
They are examples of evolutionary styling, intended not to offend the half million or so Miata fans that have bought cars in the past. If you are Mazda, your greatest challenge is to try and make the car a little roomier, perform a little better, and still stick to the Miata’s styling heritage and not go too far from what people expect.

I think Miata fans would be pleased with a version of one of those examples. They look new, but are also instantly recognizable as a Miata. I’d expect something along those lines as a final version.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here's the latest with camo on. Can see it's got padding to hide it's lines. Windshield frame is starting to take on a little Solstice appearance...and it's got a honeycomb grille !

They are saying real pictures come out MARCH 1st just before Geneva car show (hum if Solstice ordering date is right that's around the same time!).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts